Pound Rounds?

Just a quick question - do most reputable rescues temp test (or at least meet) a dog that is surrended (never went to the pound) before being given to a foster carer?

I would assume they do more. I cant speak for all but I wont just get a dog and place it. IMO you have to have some time with the dog especially since sometimes dogs into a new home can act very differently day one then day 12. A lot of times in my experience the behavioral probs don't come out until the dog feels comfortable in its new place this is why its important to me to have a dog in a home environment for a bit. I am not saying any rescue who doesnt is bad but just throwing my 2 cents in.

Thanks Greylvr.... I'm interested in different people's opinions on this. I volunteered to foster a few months ago and the whole experience was awful :( It felt like I was just lumped with a dog (that no-one from the rescue had met) and had no support at all. I will never foster through that group again & may not foster again at all due to that experience (which sucks because I really wanted to help). It wasn't pound rounds but now that I look back not sure if maybe they are associated with them....

This is just my opinion but.. foster carers are a bit like adoptive homes. Not every foster carer will be suited for every dog and dogs should be placed so that carers get a little bit of experience with something different but without pushing their abilities or making it a negative experience.

I think it's also incredibly important to provide support as foster carers aren't easy to come by. A group that mistreats foster carers is a group that shouldn't be in rescue at all.

Down here, finding suitable foster carers is painfully hard, it seriously irks me when other groups don't realise how good they have it and take for granted the very people who support their entire rescue.

Personally, I'd name, shame and then move on. There are some awesome groups around that would appreciate your help.

I'm not comfortable naming them on a public forum incase I was a one off & they really are doing a good thing......

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But wait, there's more. Call today and we will throw in a set of steak knives absolutely free!

This is my first post on DOL. I have been reading the forums for some time now and have been appalled like many others on the way some rescues are run. This type of advertising just adds to the merry go round of dogs that will be pushed from pillar to post once the novelty wears off. Talk about a sales pitch...

I cannot believe they actually wrote "impulse foster today" like they are proud of that, I didn't realise that was part of their post until I looked at that link.

I thought Nic B had written it as a sarcastic comment about their post!

:eek: me too!

wow. I have no words. I'll just :eek:

The whole super sentimental tone and "doggy" thing grates on me, but in some ways this is a totally awesome idea. Making fostering seem like fun, then the option to adopt a foster dog further down the track if they are working out is a great idea.

None of the research suggests that animals adopted for free (such as the RSPCA's free cat adoption events), or animals bought on impulse are any worse off in terms of care and commitment than animals obtained in any other way. The idea that free animals or impulse-obtained animals are less well cared for than any others is a persistent myth in rescue. (http://www.savingpets.com.au/2012/11/yet-another-study-showing-free-adoptions-are-good-for-pets/). As long as a dog is appropriately placed in a foster care home, I really can't see why impulse fostering is a bad idea. Lots of people are seized with a burst of altruism around Xmas, it's clever marketing to harness that sense of goodwill to men (and dogs) to help out rescue animals.

I also love the idea of making fostering seem like a really fun, rewarding thing to do. As I was putting together our foster care application I read lots of foster care forms from all over the web, and the emphasis was heavily punitive. You'd have thought people were applying to be prison guards rather than putting up their hands to look after kittens.

I have lots of reservations about Pound Rounds and what seems to be their sentimental to the point of dishonest approach to temperament assessment so I suppose I'm a bit dubious about how much responsibility they will take for placing fosters in appropriate homes and taking them back if they don't work out.

So how it works out in practice will depend heavily on the ethics and care Pound Rounds are willing to expend, which is probably the big question mark in my mind. If they care enough to get it right then I'm all for it as an idea.

I don't believe that the community are self-evidently foolish, irresponsible or untrustworthy, in fact quite the opposite. If that good will can be matched with clever marketing and ethical rescue practice (which is not necessarily inflexible or un-trusting practice), then everybody, including the animals, benefit.

In my own area of work we struggle with persistent myths about human behaviour which have proved untrue over and over again, which are disproved by research and by experience, but which still heavily influence organisational decision-making to the detriment of everybody.

I believe that like any other field of endeavour, rescue needs to be open to rethinking accepted paradigms if better evidence comes along.

But "doggy" still makes me stabby. :laugh:

Guest muttrus

Speaking of fostering, I was just sent this. Below is pound rounds latest :mad Visit now and impulse foster today :mad

'I want to speak to you about a win, win situation.

So you want a doggy for the xmas holidays because you have seen the doggies in the pet stores and you love the idea of a doggy - only let's be honest you are human and haven't really thought out the next 20 years of your life - come on be honest - who has right?!

BUT DAMN! those doggies are so cute and you have so much love to give and they need "rescuing" right! BUT another damn is that for $1000 bucks you could probably buy that holiday you will need after all that Christmas shopping and there is no way you can afford presents, the holiday and the doggy!

Well here is an offer you are never going to be able to refuse.

If you have no other pets (or lovely ones at least) - our shelter wants to give you a free dog - but without the lifetime responsibility!

That's right - who doesn't like the word FREE before Christmas! Who here doesn't like to commit to a lifetime of responsibility!? You? ME!

So what's the catch I hear you say??!! Free dogs, Free doggy training.

Here is the catch. You must be willing to accept the waggle bum, the snooky waggly tail lovely smiley faced love bug into your home. Some doggies can only be inside doggies - some need people home all day - some need a good long run every day - some need to sit on the lounge beside you and watch Oprah, some just wanna hang outside & sleep.

Some doggies need training on a lead and some doggies just want to be loved so much it breaks their heart to be alone. Some doggies love a clam pool, others love to chase the ball.

A doggy for everyone!

If your foster dog is still with you after 12 weeks and you have fallen madly in love then as long as you are an approved long term home and you have undergone the doggy training required, you can apply to adopt your doggy for free too. Fureva adoptions for free are only available to the most strictly approved homes who commit to ongoing doggy training.

So let's sum up here - you need a doggy for Xmas - you can have a doggy for Xmas for FREE - you can receive FREE doggy training AND you can adopt the doggy for FREE after 12 weeks.

Better yet - no after Christmas pet dumping. Fostering a doggy means YOU help save lives too!

Call right now - email right now. You will need to fill in an application form. A beautiful shiny new re-fur-bished doggy is waiting for you!! Visit STAR right now!

If you visit the STAR page and order your free doggy within the next 24 hours you will also receive FREE

a) a FREE collar and lead

b) a FREE tick treatment

c) a FREE rawhide bone

d) a FREE tail on your doggy

e) a FREE wag of that tail!!

Disclaimer: FREE tail wags cannot be guaranteed and may depend on whether or not you are holding the free rawhide. All FREE items - especially tail waggles on doggy to approved homes only.

So visit now and impulse Foster today!'

I must say its worded as if you can"t lose and sounds very appealing covers all the bases which someone may ask what I don"t get is if you"re suitalbe to be a foster carer for 12 weeks why would they then consider you maynot be a suitable adopter? what if they really do fall in love and after the 12 weeks is up you decide you would like to adopt but they knock you back as unsuitable ? is it that they don"t want to give away the dog when they can get a fee ? or are these people really simply being used ? sounds abit like a rent try buy bussiness .AND we may have all heard the stories with people getting a dog just for the xmas period what if this is the case with a big % of these cases where do they go after the 12 week foster period?

Having said all that I bet this wording has already signed up some people but also in many ways agree it could work being done a right good way but there would also need to be a backup for EACH dog

Guest muttrus

Just a quick question - do most reputable rescues temp test (or at least meet) a dog that is surrended (never went to the pound) before being given to a foster carer?

I would assume they do more. I cant speak for all but I wont just get a dog and place it. IMO you have to have some time with the dog especially since sometimes dogs into a new home can act very differently day one then day 12. A lot of times in my experience the behavioral probs don't come out until the dog feels comfortable in its new place this is why its important to me to have a dog in a home environment for a bit. I am not saying any rescue who doesnt is bad but just throwing my 2 cents in.

Thanks Greylvr.... I'm interested in different people's opinions on this. I volunteered to foster a few months ago and the whole experience was awful :( It felt like I was just lumped with a dog (that no-one from the rescue had met) and had no support at all. I will never foster through that group again & may not foster again at all due to that experience (which sucks because I really wanted to help). It wasn't pound rounds but now that I look back not sure if maybe they are associated with them....

This is just my opinion but.. foster carers are a bit like adoptive homes. Not every foster carer will be suited for every dog and dogs should be placed so that carers get a little bit of experience with something different but without pushing their abilities or making it a negative experience.

I think it's also incredibly important to provide support as foster carers aren't easy to come by. A group that mistreats foster carers is a group that shouldn't be in rescue at all.

Down here, finding suitable foster carers is painfully hard, it seriously irks me when other groups don't realise how good they have it and take for granted the very people who support their entire rescue.

Personally, I'd name, shame and then move on. There are some awesome groups around that would appreciate your help.

I'm not comfortable naming them on a public forum incase I was a one off & they really are doing a good thing......

I don"t know the group you are referring to but I had a rough first time .Thankfully another wonderful rescue lady helped me through BUT no-body really wanted to take the issue futher for the group was well known WITHIN the rescue community for doing these things therefore it came as no suprise to them and they thought rather than MAYBE giving rescue as awhole a bad name they advised me not take it futher as over the years many have tried and failed but they were kind enough to run me through some of the better groups and make sure I was aware they weren"t all like the group who used and abused me Its been afew years now and I know the group who did me over is still doing it to others but its a case of moral wrong doing and not a legal matter but that still doesn"t make it right to mess with peoples emotions can be a dangerous mental health risk .I guess in this world there will always be the good and the bad I know how it can hurt and anger you but I do believe in karma and with so many outstanding rescue groups Im sure you will find one that not only suits you but supports you .For me I make sure when someone mentions the groups name I let them know exactly what was done to me

The whole super sentimental tone and "doggy" thing grates on me...

It makes the hair rise on the back of my neck! They're talking about the real hard cases here - possibly DA, HA dogs that the other rescue groups won't or can't take - as if they're friendly little kittens. And even kittens can scratch and bite.

I have to admit it's very cleverly written though, no matter how much it grates with me too.

The whole super sentimental tone and "doggy" thing grates on me...

It makes the hair rise on the back of my neck! They're talking about the real hard cases here - possibly DA, HA dogs that the other rescue groups won't or can't take - as if they're friendly little kittens. And even kittens can scratch and bite.

I have to admit it's very cleverly written though, no matter how much it grates with me too.

It seems to me that they may be describing long term kennelled dogs?

I hope that any carer that applies for a dog is a very savvy dog person with years of experience. :mad

I don"t know the group you are referring to but I had a rough first time .Thankfully another wonderful rescue lady helped me through BUT no-body really wanted to take the issue futher for the group was well known WITHIN the rescue community for doing these things therefore it came as no suprise to them and they thought rather than MAYBE giving rescue as awhole a bad name they advised me not take it futher as over the years many have tried and failed but they were kind enough to run me through some of the better groups and make sure I was aware they weren"t all like the group who used and abused me Its been afew years now and I know the group who did me over is still doing it to others but its a case of moral wrong doing and not a legal matter but that still doesn"t make it right to mess with peoples emotions can be a dangerous mental health risk .I guess in this world there will always be the good and the bad I know how it can hurt and anger you but I do believe in karma and with so many outstanding rescue groups Im sure you will find one that not only suits you but supports you .For me I make sure when someone mentions the groups name I let them know exactly what was done to me

Hmm sounds familiar my forst FOster expereince was really horrible too! Foster carers being blamed for not being able to handle it and dogs with serious problems being lumped with foster carers with NO place to go if it didn't work. No temprement test etc...straight from pound to you with minumum vet work! I got a very cute private surrender that turned out to have some very serious issues and was NOT good with kids and other dogs as descibed to me by the rescue. WHen I complained they said there was no where else for the dog to go never mind the saftey of my kids and animals!!!! It was always a sort of crisis management with no real thought or planning. They also seemed to have a lot of money to burn for a rescue group. If its the one I was with they are serious bullies and burn thru foster carers like matches. If you have a problem it's your fault and serious problems like fence jumping to wander for fun, seperation anxiety and dog to dog and dog to human agression are simple to fix if you have some treats and "strong" leadership. SORRY its more complicated than that! Strangely enough I have been meeting a lot of their former foster carers of late and there are a lot of them! ANd come to think of it I think this group does like pound rounds on their facebook page.