Pound Rounds?

I have spoken personally with endless people who have fostered for pound rounds. What they have been through is horrific.

All have very similar experiences and all of them have been blamed, bullied and called liars when they have raised concerns. There is no support, nothing.

One lady's dear little dog was killed by a pound rounds foster dog. Pound rounds told the lady she was lying and that her little dog died from a seizure. I have the photos of that little dog after the attack, he had no chance. The dog that attacked him should have been pts immediately. Pound rounds are still trying to rehome that dog with no disclosure. This dog has bounced through an endless number of foster homes/kennels over a long period of time.

I honestly cannot believe how recklessly and dangerously they operate. It is only a matter of time before someone is killed.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They quote "our shelter" - so now they own a shelter :eek::eek:

It is at Riverstone!

Whereabouts Lillypilly? I've been trying to search for it because I'm a sticky-beak and there aren't many details available on the net. I was wondering if they've taken over somebody's kennels or built new ones (and presumably put a DA/BA through Council)?

I have spoken personally with endless people who have fostered for pound rounds. What they have been through is horrific.

All have very similar experiences and all of them have been blamed, bullied and called liars when they have raised concerns. There is no support, nothing.

One lady's dear little dog was killed by a pound rounds foster dog. Pound rounds told the lady she was lying and that her little dog died from a seizure. I have the photos of that little dog after the attack, he had no chance. The dog that attacked him should have been pts immediately. Pound rounds are still trying to rehome that dog with no disclosure. This dog has bounced through an endless number of foster homes/kennels over a long period of time.

I understand that when people have bad experiences, and particularly if this is combined with grief, the first reaction can be to just walk away from it because it is just too painful.

However, if there are so many people suffering at the hands of this group, particularly if they have bad fostering experiences, why are they seemingly able to operate with impunity?

Why are pounds still releasing dogs to them? Is it that they aren't aware of the dubious practices? Are they just happy to get a dog out of their pounds, no matter where it is going?

I am not criticising; I am just thinking out aloud really.

Pounds are still working with them because it makes the pound kill statistics look better... after all, that's what they (the pounds) get slammed for on a regular basis - and PR taking copious numbers of dogs lowers the numbers that the pounds have to euth.

The fact that a good number of these animals are badly placed and have ended up being euthed elsewhere, or shuffled off to "holding pattern" kennels, is of no consequence apparently... as far as the pounds' powers that be see lowered kill statistics, they really don't care what happens to the animals once they aren't their responsibility any more.

May I note that the wonderful pound staff and volunteers who actually deal with the animals are not the ones making the decisions to allow PR to take the animals that they do - it's much higher up the food chain than that.

T.

This concerns me to hear that there is now a shelter - where did the land come from, who pays, who operates it on a daily basis and of more concern, are dogs pulled out of pounds and kept here for goodness knows how long?

I really wish more people in the general public would educate themselves about what happens to dogs when they leave a pound and think with their heads, not purely on an emotional basis. A happy ending is not always a reality. :(

Are they a registered charity?

Otherwise the tax office might like to know about the gap between purchase price and adoption fee - are they charging GST? Are they paying GST or income tax on their profit?

If they're running at a profit - the tax office will want to know. And charities have to be accountable to get tax exemptions. Ie they still have to put returns in.

Just a quick question - do most reputable rescues temp test (or at least meet) a dog that is surrended (never went to the pound) before being given to a foster carer?

I would assume they do more. I cant speak for all but I wont just get a dog and place it. IMO you have to have some time with the dog especially since sometimes dogs into a new home can act very differently day one then day 12. A lot of times in my experience the behavioral probs don't come out until the dog feels comfortable in its new place this is why its important to me to have a dog in a home environment for a bit. I am not saying any rescue who doesnt is bad but just throwing my 2 cents in.

Thanks Greylvr.... I'm interested in different people's opinions on this. I volunteered to foster a few months ago and the whole experience was awful :( It felt like I was just lumped with a dog (that no-one from the rescue had met) and had no support at all. I will never foster through that group again & may not foster again at all due to that experience (which sucks because I really wanted to help). It wasn't pound rounds but now that I look back not sure if maybe they are associated with them....

This is just my opinion but.. foster carers are a bit like adoptive homes. Not every foster carer will be suited for every dog and dogs should be placed so that carers get a little bit of experience with something different but without pushing their abilities or making it a negative experience.

I think it's also incredibly important to provide support as foster carers aren't easy to come by. A group that mistreats foster carers is a group that shouldn't be in rescue at all.

Down here, finding suitable foster carers is painfully hard, it seriously irks me when other groups don't realise how good they have it and take for granted the very people who support their entire rescue.

Personally, I'd name, shame and then move on. There are some awesome groups around that would appreciate your help.

I'm not comfortable naming them on a public forum incase I was a one off & they really are doing a good thing......

I don"t know the group you are referring to but I had a rough first time .Thankfully another wonderful rescue lady helped me through BUT no-body really wanted to take the issue futher for the group was well known WITHIN the rescue community for doing these things therefore it came as no suprise to them and they thought rather than MAYBE giving rescue as awhole a bad name they advised me not take it futher as over the years many have tried and failed but they were kind enough to run me through some of the better groups and make sure I was aware they weren"t all like the group who used and abused me Its been afew years now and I know the group who did me over is still doing it to others but its a case of moral wrong doing and not a legal matter but that still doesn"t make it right to mess with peoples emotions can be a dangerous mental health risk .I guess in this world there will always be the good and the bad I know how it can hurt and anger you but I do believe in karma and with so many outstanding rescue groups Im sure you will find one that not only suits you but supports you .For me I make sure when someone mentions the groups name I let them know exactly what was done to me

Hmm sounds familiar my forst FOster expereince was really horrible too! Foster carers being blamed for not being able to handle it and dogs with serious problems being lumped with foster carers with NO place to go if it didn't work. No temprement test etc...straight from pound to you with minumum vet work! I got a very cute private surrender that turned out to have some very serious issues and was NOT good with kids and other dogs as descibed to me by the rescue. WHen I complained they said there was no where else for the dog to go never mind the saftey of my kids and animals!!!! It was always a sort of crisis management with no real thought or planning. They also seemed to have a lot of money to burn for a rescue group. If its the one I was with they are serious bullies and burn thru foster carers like matches. If you have a problem it's your fault and serious problems like fence jumping to wander for fun, seperation anxiety and dog to dog and dog to human agression are simple to fix if you have some treats and "strong" leadership. SORRY its more complicated than that! Strangely enough I have been meeting a lot of their former foster carers of late and there are a lot of them! ANd come to think of it I think this group does like pound rounds on their facebook page.

I'm interested to know which rescue this was - as the experience sounds quite similar to mine. PM if you would like to share it with me.

They quote "our shelter" - so now they own a shelter :eek::eek:

It is at Riverstone!

Whereabouts Lillypilly? I've been trying to search for it because I'm a sticky-beak and there aren't many details available on the net. I was wondering if they've taken over somebody's kennels or built new ones (and presumably put a DA/BA through Council)?

Winsdor Rd Box Hill Katdogs. No D/A approval, stables have been converted (or are being converted) into kennels.

I understand that when people have bad experiences, and particularly if this is combined with grief, the first reaction can be to just walk away from it because it is just too painful.

However, if there are so many people suffering at the hands of this group, particularly if they have bad fostering experiences, why are they seemingly able to operate with impunity?

Why are pounds still releasing dogs to them? Is it that they aren't aware of the dubious practices? Are they just happy to get a dog out of their pounds, no matter where it is going?

I am not criticising; I am just thinking out aloud really.

I will try to give you a call DD, there is a huge amount to it.

The DLG and the councils involved have a lot to answer for IMO. I will leave it at that.

Otherwise the tax office might like to know about the gap between purchase price and adoption fee - are they charging GST? Are they paying GST or income tax on their profit?

If they're running at a profit - the tax office will want to know. And charities have to be accountable to get tax exemptions. Ie they still have to put returns in.

I believe they now have tax exemption/status MRB.

People who 'adopt' and pay for a dog through pound rounds make a "donation' rather than pay an adoption fee.

I have emails from adopting families who have pulled out of a pound rounds 'adoption' due to the clear level of incompetance and non existent communication. Pound rounds refuse to return the money these families have paid in advance for adoption, kennel fees, transport, bathing etc. In some cases it is over $500. Pound rounds response to these families is that they have simply made a 'donation'. Not only will they not refund the money (family has not even met the dog) the families are then guilted and threatened in making the decision to pull out.

They are also forced to cover all fees and costs until the dog is rehomed through pr's :mad

How many people who are threatened go to the police?

I always recommend people go to police if people are being threatened.

What tends to happen Sheridan (once pound rounds become aware that formal complaints are being made and the knowledge is public) they will back off and then decide they will pay costs (for dog attack vet bills, adoption fee's etc etc).

The sad part is, public pressure and formal complaints are the only thing that is assisting people burnt by pound rounds. Pound rounds are being held accountable and (somewhat) being kept in line through public pressure and formal complaints. It is most certainly not coming from the group itself.

How many people who are threatened go to the police?

I always recommend people go to police if people are being threatened.

What tends to happen Sheridan (once pound rounds become aware that formal complaints are being made and the knowledge is public) they will back off and then decide they will pay costs (for dog attack vet bills, adoption fee's etc etc).

The sad part is, public pressure and formal complaints are the only thing that is assisting people burnt by pound rounds. Pound rounds are being held accountable and (somewhat) being kept in line through public pressure and formal complaints. It is most certainly not coming from the group itself.

If formal complaints are not followed through then pound rounds are not the only people backing off.

I believe they now have tax exemption/status MRB.

People who 'adopt' and pay for a dog through pound rounds make a "donation' rather than pay an adoption fee.

I have emails from adopting families who have pulled out of a pound rounds 'adoption' due to the clear level of incompetance and non existent communication. Pound rounds refuse to return the money these families have paid in advance for adoption, kennel fees, transport, bathing etc. In some cases it is over $500. Pound rounds response to these families is that they have simply made a 'donation'. Not only will they not refund the money (family has not even met the dog) the families are then guilted and threatened in making the decision to pull out.

They are also forced to cover all fees and costs until the dog is rehomed through pr's :mad

Would hope they get the people who are "donating" to sign off on this or its a legitimate complaint to the dept of fair trading and ASIC would also go in with a big stick if in fact they are taking donations when people dont know they are donating rather than paying for a product.

Yep its usually the easiest way to shut down a dodgy rescue! There are so many rules than govern charities that its easy to make a mistake so all you need is something small to gt the ATO in the door and they find the rest. Also the ATO will protect your identity, when you report they don't even want to know who you are and take all corespondence by snail mail. Also you get more jail time for fiddling the tax office than fiddling with kids so it's s good way to catch a crook!