Pound Rounds?

Nic I know what you are saying but I know of other groups within sydney that also take aggressive dogs and then want to rehome them. What I meant by the breeds they take is that they have a higher chance of getting dogs that are problems and then rest of us because not all dogs show their true colours in the pounds even with assessment.

Tdierikx not sure where you read that I had received money from them, has I haven't and regarding the information of the amount and the group which it has gone to is private as I would not like some of you getting on their case and I sure it would happened.

Chevy and Chopper that new place that they have used I believe was suppose to be their new boarding kennels and I think I know of two dogs that were moved there, one being a bull breed that no staff would move out of its run at the kennels that I use and another one was a boy that seem quite alright inside the run but got out one day and picked up one of my jacks, lucky there was two people near by and no major damage was done but they were asked to remove both dogs off the property. One of the volunteers from PR also stated that she thought the first dog should be pts. A guy which is suppose to be their behaviourist came and took them.

Dogmad I totally agree and better control of the dogs that people are taking them and looking after needs to be done.

But with all this I also blame the pounds as some of these dogs should not be release and especially when so much as been done wrong.

One pound I deal with will put up not for release and I have had a dog that they didn't want to but I guaranteed them that after my assessment if there was a problem the dog would be pts as I have done before because over the years I have come across some jacks that the damage unfortunately has been done too much to correct and the best thing for all is to pts although this is hard to do at the time.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I am seeing here is a lot of complaints about PR and not a lot of complaining to authorities. The place where the animal was killed, why didn't the lady report them?

They're probably very lucky they're not based in Victoria but given people are saying they send their problem dogs there, not being based there won't stop the Victorian authorities from catching up to them if someone gets attacked by one of their dogs. Not keen on dogs, the state of Victoria.

Edited by Sheridan

So PR are warehousing animals in kennels too? What's the point in getting an animal out of the pound only to have it languish in kennels for an indeterminate length of time? Especially if the dogs would be far better off being given their wings due to issues that make them a danger to people and/or other animals...

T.

1345344251[/url]' post='5933566']

So PR are warehousing animals in kennels too? What's the point in getting an animal out of the pound only to have it languish in kennels for an indeterminate length of time? Especially if the dogs would be far better off being given their wings due to issues that make them a danger to people and/or other animals...

T.

I think this is the sort of thing that JRT Rescue was referring to. There is a difference between opening a kennel and warehousing. There seems to be plenty of things about this group that are true enough without having to make things up.

So just to be clear.....they are pulling dogs out with an exemption from the clause but are not desexing them before they go to their new homes?

If that is the case then I don't know how any one could support them and why they haven't been reported?

Edited by sas

So just to be clear.....they are pulling dogs out with an exemption from the clause but are not desexing them before they go to their new homes?

If that is the case then I don't know how any one could support them and why they haven't been reported?

Sas, they do desex. Most dogs go from HP to a particular vet for desexing, the vetwork is paid for with donations from the facebook site. There is no doubt some dogs are going entire, I am not sure about the Greyhound in the OP.

There is nothing in the clause which requires a group to desex, which I find mind blowing to say the very least!

Interesting.

Once it was made clear on Facebook that the general readers know about lab rescue groups (two wonderful groups :thumbsup: ) and that the poor mangy looking girl was being looked after closely by Labradog, the pound rounds entry changed from 'so sad, please support' to 'direct your support to Labradog'. The dog was never on a kill list.

But Nic when you apply for the Clause 16d you have to supply them with a constitution which usually states in their that you desex all dogs, well most of the ones I have seen do.

This group don't adhere to anything they present to Councils.

1 attacked and killed an animal and she said it was very aggressive and they should pts, they said no theyd move it in

That's the kind of situation where whoever has rescue 'ownership' is leaving themselves open to blame, if a dog, already noted to have serious problems, is sent on to then cause more mayhem.

1 attacked and killed an animal and she said it was very aggressive and they should pts, they said no theyd move it in

That's the kind of situation where whoever has rescue 'ownership' is leaving themselves open to blame, if a dog, already noted to have serious problems, is sent on to then cause more mayhem.

The damage done here is definitely not outweighed by this group redirecting funds to 1 dog .... this damage lasts in the memories of people until they die. And what of the dead animal? How much did it suffer? Did it deserve to die in this way? No Pound Rounds, it didn't. And by taking the offendign dog elsewhere and working in the way you work, it will happen again until someone steps up to the plate and deals with the monster that you are inflicting on society.

Exactly. It's not fair to another foster-carer or new owner when a dog, already seen to cause a serious problem, is handed on. Nor is it fair to the dog. As well as bringing the idea of 'rescue' into disrepute.

Another reason that what counts is what rescues actually do on the ground,. Like monitored fostering, behavioral assessments, screening and matching when placing dogs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hold onto your seat guys and grab the popcorn.

The truth: 12 months on shelters, rescue groups, welfare groups, vets, behaviourist, trainers, transport companies, foster carers, and adopting families are dealing with the fall out and neglect of this one particular group.

One year on is a good time to reflect on all that has happened since Pound Rounds began.

First a summary of the things that matter;

1) Two of the largest council operated shelters in NSW have reduced the killing of pooches to unprecedented low levels – to almost No Kill Levels in just one year.

2) Pound Rounds supporters have helped to rescue, adopt and fund the saving of over 1,000 lives.

3) More than half a dozen new rescue groups have emerged with support from our New Res...cue program, now successfully independent and saving lives.

4) Pound Rounds has assisted with carers and / or funding for over 30 sensational rescues who could all help dogs due to be killed.

From just 200 dedicated ‘Likers’, the Pound Rounds page

> has grown to 17,000 members

> has over 3,000 people talking about and sharing needy pooches at any given time

> has a weekly reach of over 200,000 people

> has a social reach of over 4 million

These numbers are not important in themselves. They represent the increased chance of a pooch (who would have, in the past, been killed) being seen, being supported and going to a loving home.

None of this would have been possible without the help of an extraordinary group of people. You. And you. And You. And you over there!

It would not have been possible without two of the most proactive councils in Sydney. Thank you to the visionary management and compassionate staff at Hawkesbury and Blacktown shelters that make this possible.

Special thanks to Christine Cole of Sydney Dog & Cat Home and Botany Council for being an inspiration and proof of what’s possible!

Without the support of rescue groups around the country these lifesaving results could not be achieved. Without the public choosing to adopt their next family member direct from the pound these beautiful souls would still be killed. Without those people willing to donate and sponsor dogs, none of this would be possible. Pound Rounders each and every one of you has changed the world for these community pets. I am sure the awareness has spread further than we can imagine!

Pound Rounds works with an innovative 5 point model not used before. We broach both rescue work and private adoption measures with equal import. PR operating as a rescue is only one small part of our contribution to the 1,000 lives saved. Our organisation is devoted to relieving the burden on existing rescues with funding and also the sponsoring new rescue groups.

There are a small number of vehement ‘purists’ in any field and it stands to reason, animal welfare should be no exception. The most controversial program in our work appears to be the one that mirrors the existing adoption program of all councils, the RSPCA, AWL and other large welfare shelters; the Subsidised Direct Adoption Program (DAP). This is a program PR created to support adoption of the most needy pets in the pound; those on the kill list.

PR understands that pound/shelter ‘sale’ prices are standardised for convenience and do not take into account length of time in the pound, legal holding times, fluctuations in impounds or shelter capacity (who is scheduled to be killed) etc. DAP only allows PR to help dogs where the public understand this adoption is exactly like adopting directly from the pound.

If you adopt a dog directly from the pound, the RSPCA or the AWL or many other rescue shelters;

1. The councils and shelters do not do not perform “yard” checks.

2. Council pounds and Animal shelters cannot absolutely warrant health or temperament outside of the shelter.

3. As neither the council, nor shelter staff can follow everyone home and watch each pet in perpetuity – they cannot take responsibility for what happens with your pet when you get home – pet ownership is about taking responsibility of your pet from day one.

PR understands that private adoption has saved more lives from council run impounding facilities and animal shelters than any other method (including traditional rescue groups). In 2009/10 in most facilities direct adoptions outnumbered rescue by more than 2:1. This program builds on that history and helps more members of the public connect with potential new members of their family.

Is every single rehoming successful? Sadly no. Just like when we drive a car, the risk of having an accident is serious and all precautions taken. However, with over 1,000 dogs helped, how many would have to go wrong before you dismantle all programs and let these pets be killed? If 10 pets are unsuccessful (or have owners that are not responsible enough for their care and control creating a negative outcome), do you kill the remaining 990 just in case? What about a ridiculous figure like 50? Do you kill the remaining 950 just in case? Of course not. However, there are fanatics (and those with vested interests in breeding for example) who wish to derail any welfare program. With 400 happy adopters alone in one Facebook group DAP has, overall, proven an overwhelming success.

The benefits of rehomed community pets and raising awareness of their killing are far reaching;

1. Advocacy vs Anger: The awareness of pets as a disposable commodity grows with each adoption and the killing of pets impounded is much more difficult to accept when one who has been saved lies at your feet. Pawrents stop playing the blame game and start advocating for adoption.

2. Poundie vs Puppy Factory: A home with a rehomed community pet does not buy a puppy from a pet store or factory breeder, lowering demand and taking out another link in their income chain.

3. Awareness vs Secrecy: The acknowledgement that pets are killed in shelters and pounds, when promoted in a paradigm of action not blame, will reduce pets dumped by people who did not know what the outcome could be, providing new opportunities for training and understanding of pet ownership responsibilities.

THE FUTURE;

1) Pound Rounds has plans well underway for a rescue centre, where pets can be temporarily housed during peak seasons for kennelling and impounds, with a strong focus on rehabilitation of pets exhibiting behaviours that require training, prior to rehoming.

2) We are very excited about the roll out of nationwide program we lovingly call Inmates for Inmates (ex-poundie Assistance Dog Program) supported by training in Correctional Facilities. Began as an experimental program, this program is another first of its kind. The connection between inmates and abandoned pets was unprecedented and this has led, not only to an expansion of the program, but also a formal study on the benefits of poundies for rehabilitation of inmates – and all the while the rehabilitation and training of the pooch!

3) One of the programs we are most proud of is the divestment of support from the public to rescue groups far and wide. Pound Rounds aim to do itself out of job! We could not save them all and focus on the new kill lists every week - it would be impossible! Supporting and growing the rescue community with new groups, carers and funding is the best way to ensure a larger participation rate in rescue for years to come.

Thanks to you, there are 1,000 beating hearts with a second chance at life. You cared. You acted.See More

With 400 happy adopters alone in one Facebook group

Easy to attain when you delete any negative feedback.

PR understands that pound/shelter ‘sale’ prices are standardised for convenience and do not take into account length of time in the pound, legal holding times, fluctuations in impounds or shelter capacity (who is scheduled to be killed) etc. DAP only allows PR to help dogs where the public understand this adoption is exactly like adopting directly from the pound.

PR "tag" the dogs as "rescue", and pay a minimal fee to the pound to have them released to the general public - often sending the new adopter direct to the pound to pick up the dog - whilst pocketing approximately $180 per "adoption"... effectively playing the system IMHO...

Is every single rehoming successful? Sadly no. Just like when we drive a car, the risk of having an accident is serious and all precautions taken. However, with over 1,000 dogs helped, how many would have to go wrong before you dismantle all programs and let these pets be killed? If 10 pets are unsuccessful (or have owners that are not responsible enough for their care and control creating a negative outcome), do you kill the remaining 990 just in case? What about a ridiculous figure like 50? Do you kill the remaining 950 just in case? Of course not. However, there are fanatics (and those with vested interests in breeding for example) who wish to derail any welfare program. With 400 happy adopters alone in one Facebook group DAP has, overall, proven an overwhelming success.

Blame the adopter... it's never the fault of the group who take pretty pics and use pretty words to sucker the general public into "adopting" dogs that may not be suitable for their lifestyle, is it? As for "fanatics" - established ethical rescue groups have worked extremely hard for many years to promote the cause of homeless dogs - when we see groups like this placing everything with a pulse to people they've not even met, it scares the bejesus out of us... we know the ramifications of a bad placement. One unhappy punter is more effective at spreading the word that rescue is "bad" than 100 happy punters saying the opposite.

Ethical rescue (or "fanatics" as referred to by PR) DON'T advocate the "killing" of dogs - but we ARE aware that not every dog is actually a candidate for "saving"

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... rescue isn't about how many we can rehome - it's about how well we can do it.

T.