Help Needed For Mini Paws Foster Carers. Urgent

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think her not being a PIAA member or having poor spelling is anything to judge her "rescue" activities by but there is much else here which is not good at all.

Do the RSPCA monitor rescue orgs?

Edited by Steve

I am also concerned about the rise in rescue "cowboys" over the past couple of years. Shmoo put out an excellent fostering manual a while back - how good would it be if someone experienced in rescue put together a rescue manual which helped newbies realise the dangers of rescuing everything, control of parvo and other diseases when taking dogs from a pound, temp. testing, how to vet a foster carer (and not let the first person who puts their hand up foster without investigation.) There are many more issues to cover as well.

When I first came to DOL, I used to offer money for dogs in the "urgent rescues" section as my way of helping. Along the way I met some very ethical and good rescue people, but now I wouldn't be game to give money away to unknowns. The problems of money going to who knows where is a big problem unfortunately and I think Pound Rounds and some others have a big case to answer in that. So hard for the good rescues these days.

I have had a lengthy conversation with Rachelle who runs Mini Paws Puppy Rescue, and from what she has told me I can see no major problems.

Rachelle sounded young (but remember I am not so young, and anyone aged 45 years or below looks and sounds young to me).

Rachelle happily gave me permission to talk to her new vet. This new clinic will desex at 10 weeks old, as opposed to the vet she was initially using for her dogs. The dogs are also vaccinated and chipped at the clinic.

She is applying for a clause16d exemption and ABN etc.

She also stated she is not associated with the well known "Facebook cowboy" group.

The RSPCA has apparently been in contact with Rachelle and helped her by answering her many questions.

Unless Mini Paws Puppy Rescue proves otherwise, I am happy to support them. I found Rachelle polite and eager to help the animals.

xx Lillypilly xx

edited due to me transposing the rescue name xx

Edited by lillypilly

I am also concerned about the rise in rescue "cowboys" over the past couple of years. Shmoo put out an excellent fostering manual a while back - how good would it be if someone experienced in rescue put together a rescue manual which helped newbies realise the dangers of rescuing everything, control of parvo and other diseases when taking dogs from a pound, temp. testing, how to vet a foster carer (and not let the first person who puts their hand up foster without investigation.) There are many more issues to cover as well.

When I first came to DOL, I used to offer money for dogs in the "urgent rescues" section as my way of helping. Along the way I met some very ethical and good rescue people, but now I wouldn't be game to give money away to unknowns. The problems of money going to who knows where is a big problem unfortunately and I think Pound Rounds and some others have a big case to answer in that. So hard for the good rescues these days.

This is a good post. I am not a fan of "cowboys" either. I think these days people decide they can just start a rescue with 0 experience.

I don't doubt alot of the passion to rescue animals, but if you have worked under an ethical group who has i's dotted and t's crossed and

all paperwork from ABN, 16d, CFN in working order. Committee's etc, then I think you learn the right way to go about things. Sadly if you just

decide to start up a group with none of the above, you open yourself up to alot of criticism from those who have tried and tested alot of things.

Knowing what it takes to run a reputable rescue is why I'm far happier to volunteer for one than try to run one... *grin*

It would be lovely if it were as easy as many "armchair rescuers" believe it to be... but there are MANY facets to running a reputable rescue - much more than springing everything with a pulse from the pound system and lumping the general public with animals that may have been better off going to God.

T.

There has been a new post on her page...... and in my opinion, it will never be Ok for a hairless breed to be living in a kennel in -2oC weather while its snowing!!!!!

:mad:mad:mad

What sort of person starts looking for homes for day old puppies, and it seems that dogs are finding homes but not actually leaving!

something is very wrong here

As we know, it is very easy to find the dogs that are needing new homes but realistically harder to actually find them homes.

What about a return policy if the dogs dont work out??

Im sorry Lilly Pilly! but I can see many many issues here and ones about to happen!

:mad

I have had a lengthy conversation with Rachelle who runs Mini Paws Puppy Rescue, and from what she has told me I can see no major problems.

Rachelle sounded young (but remember I am not so young, and anyone aged 45 years or below looks and sounds young to me).

Rachelle happily gave me permission to talk to her new vet. This new clinic will desex at 10 weeks old, as opposed to the vet she was initially using for her dogs. The dogs are also vaccinated and chipped at the clinic.

She is applying for a clause16d exemption and ABN etc.

She also stated she is not associated with the well known "Facebook cowboy" group.

The RSPCA has apparently been in contact with Rachelle and helped her by answering her many questions.

Unless Mini Paws Puppy Rescue proves otherwise, I am happy to support them. I found Rachelle polite and eager to help the animals.

xx Lillypilly xx

Edited by Andrea

Sadly, it's not just with dogs that this is happening with. Yesterday I was looking through Gumtree, and there are a whole lot of adds claiming to have rescued bunnies up for adoption, when I know they are in fact breeders selling baby rabbits (without desexing or vaccination). Very frustrating, as the breeders are seeing the move people are making towards rescue, and are misleading the public in order to profit. There are also adds claiming they are rabbit rescues and need donations, yet the photos they've got are from other websites (often in America). Very unethical, but little I think we can do other than educating public...

• 7 months later...

I have a Facebook pet page with over 2000 members which one of the mentioned "rescue shelters" advertises on regularly .

Lately admin and myself are noticing things that are not what you expect from a shelter being ... photos of very young puppies laying on dirt , advertising in Gumtree , asking for foster carers but at the same time private messaging members asking for their pups and actually fobbing off questions about puppies .

I attempted to ask this person and got an emotional barrage of immature replies that amounted to nothing more than "leave me alone Ive been crying all day "

We are hesitant to do anything just in case it prevents unwanted pets finding homes BUT at what point do we put our foot down and say "this is not normal "

We actually defended her when a few members questioned her about having an ABN after which she promised to get one and show to us but that was quite a while ago and still nothing and today we see her asking for donations for a sick staffy ...we don't know what to do but alarm bells are going off .

xx Lillypilly xx

Good on you, Lillypilly, for making direct contact & providing some mentoring. Sounds like Rachelle is happy to keep in touch with you.

I've always respected how you cut to the chase & go directly to whoever has the power to solve a problem.

You got a better response than I did then when I asked Rachelle why the pups were laying in the dirt and why they were being advertised so young .

All I got was a defensive reply and not real answers .

I don't want any pup to lose the chance of a good home which is why we give her the benefit of the doubt over and over again , if she answered my questions I wouldn't be here asking what to do .

You got a better response than I did then when I asked Rachelle why the pups were laying in the dirt and why they were being advertised so young .

All I got was a defensive reply and not real answers .

I don't want any pup to lose the chance of a good home which is why we give her the benefit of the doubt over and over again , if she answered my questions I wouldn't be here asking what to do .

With no disrespect intended to you at all jusdeb, may I suggest you ring Rachelle.

Rachelle is young and wanting to do her best for the animals, and truly we all have made mistakes before.

Personally I would rather guide a newbie and try to turn them around to being an ethical organisation.

I feel tis that or we have more cowboys!

I would never allow any of the pups in our care to be nursed on dirt, let alone photograph and publish such a photo.

Apparently the owner surrendering the pups to Mini Paws took the pic.

I have chatted with Rachelle tonight and explained my thoughts with the pic of the pups.

New pics of the pups have apparently been posted.

Perhaps if more of us 'long term' rescuers could help the next generation of rescue orgs, we can leave a legacy.

Rescues, both big and small are run by people but I figured we are really in it for the benefit of the animals.

Hugs

xx Lillypilly xx

PS jusdeb I will email you my private phone number and you are welcome to ring me.

To be honest the way she carried on in email makes me not want to talk to her at all .

A question was asked courteously and I got nothing but emotional garbage in return .

Ive kept the conversation in my messages and shown them to others for a second opinion and it has been agreed that when faced with doubt she falls apart .

I spent hours consoling her and reassuring her that we would still stand by her and at the end of the day I got the same reply I get from my 8 year old grand daughter " just leave me alone "

Thanks for the reply , if she is to run a shelter she needs an ABN and a code of practice to work by .She can stop canvassing my members for their pups too ..Very unprofessional .

Actually jusdeb, one does not need an ABN or a COP in order to run a rescue...

Maybe your email questioning didn't come across the way you intended it - the written word isn't always totally black and white.

Do you have a history with Rachelle that we here may not be aware of and should be if we are to fully understand this dredging up of an old thread to cast further aspersions on this rescue?

T.