Rehoming Our Dog

Guest lavendergirl

I don't think you are looking for advice on strategies to combat separation anxiety or sound like you are in the position to undertake the tedious and stressful long term commitment required to address it - often for no improvement. You could try Eric on a course of medication - if you haven't already - but that also requires a commitment and it is expensive. I would try rehoming him yourself as a first step with absolute frankness about his issues before considering whether to return him to the shelter. If no suitable home can be found which is the likely outcome then some hard decisions may have to be made in the dog's best interests. What you don't want to happen is a "Ned" type situation with the dog being bounced from home to home and getting worse with each change.

I really hope that something can be worked out for you and Eric - this is a very stressful situation to be in.

The separation anxiety I know can be worked on, however the main problem is the fact that my partner is now away 4 days of the week, every week and due to injury I can no longer walk the dogs. We can't afford a dog walker for 4 days of the week. When my partner is away Eric does not get the exercise he needs and therefore becomes more destructive and uncontrolable. I leave for work at 7.30am and get home at 6pm. He is bored during that time despite the company of our other dog, despite me playing and interacting with him before and after work and despite the numerous home made toys to stimulate him.

Young dogs are destructive I find and not suitable generally for people who work long hours.

I've taken young foster dogs due to their desperate situations but can't do it any more, it isn't fair on either side. I only take small dogs and when I've taken a young dog I've walked them an hour in the morning and played with them, the same in the evening but they have the energy to go all day and when you are out 9-10 hours per day, they will get into mischief - even if they have another dog as company.

The young dogs I've had have destroyed all sorts of things around the house and garden - none of them have been any different.

This was a bad match right from the start and the rescue group involved should have known better.

The dog has now developed issues and needs a one in a thousand home, it won't be so easy. I have found that Chinese herbs have helped dogs with sep anxiety enormously but this will cost money - either you need to try it (and you don't have any spare cash by the sounds of it) or get a new owner to try it and this would be hugely offputting ...

I think you can rehome dogs with sep anx but need to place in just the right home - much more exercise and interaction with the owners, people who don't work full time and have another compatible dog, it could take weeks or months or you could be lucky tomorrow, trouble is you don't know.

With dogs like this you do need to focus on the positive - good with people, good with other dogs, housetrained? intelligent (may be good for dog agility/obedience trials etc) etc.

Edited by dogmad

I don't think you are looking for advice on strategies to combat separation anxiety or sound like you are in the position to undertake the tedious and stressful long term commitment required to address it - often for no improvement. You could try Eric on a course of medication - if you haven't already - but that also requires a commitment and it is expensive. I would try rehoming him yourself as a first step with absolute frankness about his issues before considering whether to return him to the shelter. If no suitable home can be found which is the likely outcome then some hard decisions may have to be made in the dog's best interests. What you don't want to happen is a "Ned" type situation with the dog being bounced from home to home and getting worse with each change.

I really hope that something can be worked out for you and Eric - this is a very stressful situation to be in.

Huh? Seperation Anxiety training doesn't have to be long, expensive and it does have results.

it was only the day before we went and met Eric that she firstly "discovered" he wasn't desexed and she openly admited she had not tested him around other dogs or kids yet. I really don't think she did any kind of checks.

:(

poor Eric.

Would he perhaps be worth assessing for customs or somesuch?..He may well need a 'job' to give him security/outlets.

Guest lavendergirl

Huh? Seperation Anxiety training doesn't have to be long, expensive and it does have results.

Doesn't have to be - but if it is long standing can certainly be and behaviourists are expensive so is medication if needed. Some dogs have minimal improvement despite the best efforts.