De-sexing Question

Hi, I just got my male boxer de-sexed. He still has his sack. I don't remember this with any of my other male dogs, the whole lot is taken off, all nice and neat.

I think it looks...well...untidy. Will it shrivel and disappear?

I think I remember something about there being two different ways of doing it and depends on the vets preferences.....is that right?

We had two boys done at the same time (testes removed, scrotal sack left intact). For a short while after, the sack looked far larger empty than when occupied due to swelling. Within a few months though you could barely see it at all and that was only if you were looking for it. It will shrink unless you had prosthetics put in.

Edited to add ours were 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 at the time.

Edited by Dxenion

I don't remember this with any of my other male dogs, the whole lot is taken off, all nice and neat.

I have seen a lot of castrated dogs.., and dogs being castrated , and not one has had the scrotum removed ...

In pups ..yes, it will shrink to almost nothing ..in adults, there may be a tiny flap left.(usually covered with hair) At present, it is full of fluid, but that will dissipate, and swelling will go down :)

Agree with pers. If the dog is castrated at a yound age it shrinks very quickly. But when more mature males are done, the sack can be quite saggy for a while. It will look pretty gross right now while its all swollen too, but it should start to settle down and shrivel up soon. :)

Ok thanks everyone.

It was only 2 years ago that we got Mojo done but I can't remember any hassles at all. Bentley on the other hand is being a pest, wandering all over the place, getting stuck on everything with his bucket head collar and leaving spots of blood everywhere. I thought they were meant to be sleepy after an op....but he wont settle at all grrrrrrrr

HOw old is the dog?

In younger dogs (under a year) the sacs usually just shrink up but in older dogs sometimes the scrotal sacs won't completely shrink down.

Sometimes a scrotal ablation may be performed in older dogs either for cosmetic or health (testicular cancers etc) reasons.

We had two boys done at the same time (testes removed, scrotal sack left intact). For a short while after, the sack looked far larger empty than when occupied due to swelling. Within a few months though you could barely see it at all and that was only if you were looking for it. It will shrink unless you had prosthetics put in.Edited to add ours were 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 at the time.

Uh, do people actually do this??

When I've had male rescues, they've usually been over a year old & I've had them castrated & the scrotal ablation done.

Swelling is normal for a post castration scrotom left intact & it will shrivel in time.

We had two boys done at the same time (testes removed, scrotal sack left intact). For a short while after, the sack looked far larger empty than when occupied due to swelling. Within a few months though you could barely see it at all and that was only if you were looking for it. It will shrink unless you had prosthetics put in.Edited to add ours were 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 at the time.

Uh, do people actually do this??

google neuticals!