Labrador Retriever

Shirleyo

I have migrated from the UK 4 years ago and have brought with me my 8year old Labrador called Molly. I am looking for a puppy for her to keep her young and active and would like a gun dog as they are smaller in size and weight, which is much easier for me to manage (dont know if this is the same here in Australia) I also would like good hip and elbow scores. I am finding it very difficult to get both requests. Any idea on a good breeder.

In Australia they are referred to as Working Labs (or working lines). Many are still KC registered, but bred for working ability rather than the show ring. Our neighbour has 2 registered working labs, not sure where she got them from though. One came from Sydney and one from QLD but thats all I know :)

If you are talking weight-wise my neighbour's females are about 520mm at the shoulder and 20-22kg. There was a working lab at the agility nationals who is out of imported working lines and this dog was quicker than most of the working border collies, it was insane! It was only small too... maybe 480mm at the shoulder and probably 20kg max.

Lablover on DOL breeds working labs. Maybe send her a message?

There is also a working retriever message board http://www.australianworkingretrievercentral.org.au/

Working line labs tend to be taller, more leggy and of a finer/leaner build than show-bred labs.

If you're looking for a smaller lab maybe look into Guide Dog or assistance dog lines. Guide dogs prefers smaller dogs as they are easier to manage and take to places. In NSW, Guide dogs and assistance dogs gets some of their pups from registered breeders and a few of us on DOL have Labs with guide dog lines.

Possible to see a pic of both types? My sister has a show bred Lab and her daughter recently got a Lab which is a lot finer boned..sounds like he is from working lines. Quite a few times people have thought ..or rather insisted.. that my sisters Lab must be a Rottie cross because of his solid build. He isn't of course..came from a well respected breeder but you know what some people are like.

Working line labs tend to be taller, more leggy and of a finer/leaner build than show-bred labs.

Depends where they're from. I think American working lines are leggier, but I know of several working line Labs imported that are shorter than show lines.

As for the leaner build than show Labs, I say a great deal of that depends on what you feed your show bred Lab and what you do with them...

Why don't you consider a dog or puppy bred by either Guide Dogs or Customs? Both of them have fantastic breeding programs that produce healthy labradors with excellent temperaments, but for a variety of reasons many dont end up working and become pets.

You can get a fantastically bred dog or puppy, with all costs included (desexing, vaccs, microchipping etc) and much cheaper than you would pay from a breeder.

If you have you heart on getting a young pup, it's not only adult dogs that these agencies sell, sometimes they have far more pups than they have the funds to train- and you can acquire a young pup from them.

just regarding your other request about hips and elbows, you can look for a breeder who breeds from dogs with low elbow and hip scores, however you cannot guarantee you will get a puppy with good elbow and hip scores, even if the parents have been tested and are below breed average. Your only way of guarantee getting a dog with good elbows and hips, would be to get an adult that has already been xrayed. This would mean probably an ex show or breeding dog.

Assistance dogs Australia sometimes have pups for sale,Labs and Goldens, that don't make it through the program.

www.assistancedogs.org.au

You can also help raise or train one of thier pups for about 16 months too.

I have migrated from the UK 4 years ago and have brought with me my 8year old Labrador called Molly. I am looking for a puppy for her to keep her young and active and would like a gun dog as they are smaller in size and weight, which is much easier for me to manage (dont know if this is the same here in Australia) I also would like good hip and elbow scores. I am finding it very difficult to get both requests. Any idea on a good breeder.

There are quite a lot of labrador breeders in Qld. Have a look in the breeders section on here and you will find some very reputable breeders. Give a few a ring and ask some questions, I am sure that you will find someone that you feel comfortable dealing with. If you want another breed, each breed has its own section on DOL so you should be able to find someone that suits you. Ask the questions you want the answers to, you will soon get a feel for who you want to deal with.

If you are talking weight-wise my neighbour's females are about 520mm at the shoulder and 20-22kg. There was a working lab at the agility nationals who is out of imported working lines and this dog was quicker than most of the working border collies, it was insane! It was only small too... maybe 480mm at the shoulder and probably 20kg max.

DeltaCharlie

Do you know who bred this rocket lab?

DeltaCharlie

Do you know who bred this rocket lab?

Little black bitch from WA?

I may have missed a reply -Do you wish to buy an English field bred labrador?

There are only a few breeders of 100% UK field labradors in Australia. LOVELY DOGS!!

Is there much difference between English field bred labradors and American working labradors?

I think the english ones can be smaller.

The american ones are usually tall, lean and leggy.

I'm not sure if the enlgish ones are as drivey and energetic as the american ones? I know a few people that have bought english fild labs in the UK as a pet only or a weekend hunter only and the dogs aren't as hyper as some of the american ones sound like. But I haven't met any american field labs.