Choosing A Dog To Go With Golden Retreiver

thomo84

Hi All,

We have a 2 year old Golden Retreiver and as you all will know, he is the most amazing, kind and beautiful boy ever. Very submissive and obedient... When he wants to be haha.

We have been living with our parents for 6 months with there 2 terriors and some good land. We are about to move into our newly built house that has a 10 x 9m backyard. It's a descent size yard and we walk him twice a day as well.

We are worried he will be lonely and sad without the other dogs then, so were thinking of getting another dog. Going to let him settle in first and see how he goes.

Have always loved Beagles and were thinking of one but always been warned about them. We will have good colourbond fencing so won't be able to escape. Dont't want another bigger dog but don't miniature either, medium sized dog.

If anyone has any ideas, links.... Would loved to hear them.

Thank you

Thomo

My golden lives with my Norwegian Elkhound. They are the best of friends, play with each other like crazy and have never had a fight. I found that while elkhounds and goldens have very different temperaments, they complement each other well.

If I was looking for a second dog to match my Goldie, I'd like a cocker.

Very similar in my opinion- from the ones I know.

My daughter says she would prefer a Tibetan spaniel or a Poodle though. Both those would also suit the soft GR temperament, I'd think.

My Goldie is a big softie though & I doubt she'd like living with a more dominant breed. In fact, I'm pretty sure she prefers being the only dog.

Perhaps your dog is different? You should choose an individual dog that suits your dog's personality.

my two goldens live with my own griffon bruxellois and 3 coolies as well as uncountable no. of coolies my housemate owns.

All get on very well together

My male golden was brought up by a maltese and knew she was the boss.

I'd tend to go for another golden though :)

Don't count on colourbond keeping a beagle in, there are plenty of escape artist videos on you tube with beagles escaping from runs with a roof!

As for another breed, do you want to stick with gun dogs? what about a cocker spaniel or similar?

Beagles dig! And dig, and dig! My mum bred them when I was a kid in England and my dad spent his whole time mending escape holes.

You must know different ones to me!!

I rate Cockers as much higher in terms of energy levels and much tougher in temperament.

A trainer I highly respect doesn't call Cockers "wolves in sheeps clothing" for nothing. They can be dominant little buggers. They can also be quite vocal.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I'd suggest that you visit a local (reliable) shelter and see if they have a dog that matches on temperament (if you only want a compatible dog rather than a certain breed) Maybe try fostering the dog and see how it goes?

If you get an adult dog you will be able to match the dogs energy levels and personalities.

We let our dog 'choose' her 'brother' and it has worked out perfectly :)

Depends what you expect the second dog to do??

Do you want the Goldie to be able to play or are you just wanting a companion.

Did the Goldie play with the other dogs or just interact .

There are plenty of breeds but it depends on what characteristics you want for the matching set .

Agree with this. Cocker would be a great choice if you don't mind the grooming, otherwise maybe as suggested an English or Welsh Springer spaniel or a Brittany.

My labXGolden has always got on well with all dogs, and we've had Shih crosses, JR terriers and many labs stay with us. The dog we got as her companion years ago is a kelpie. Although they're great, the two dogs have such different personalities they virtually do their own thing all day. Maybe a little zoomie wrestle in the mornings, but just companionship, not friendship. I think Stevie would be better with a Lab or Golden. Then again, she'd rather just have her people home more than another dog!

Golden Retrievers will be happy with any breed. Just look at what you would like, small or large, and obviously not with an aggressive temperament as the other dog you get will be the one you have to wonder if it will get on with your Golden. Just get another Golden - best way to go !!