Choosing A Dog To Go With Golden Retreiver

thomo84

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same situation!! We are going with Beagle though, and my Golden is almost 3 now.

We had a cocker growing up and he was an amazing dog, terrible to train and so dopey, but had so much love to give. Who knows if it was him or his upbringing, but he lived over 12 years and I could never replace him.

Best of luck in your decision!!

Not all beagles are determined escape artists, mine has never tried to climb or dig out of the yard. I don't actually know any beagles that do that (although I am sure there are some out there), as long as the fencing is secure and they have enough mental and physical stimulation serial escape artists aren't that common. I wouldn't call them particularly submissive or handler sensitive dogs though.

Edited by huski

I'd go for a rescue from a reputable place, you can let your Goldie meet a few are see how they go together :)

It could help the transition of the move, which can be quite stressful for some dogs, if you got the new addition just before you go so that they have each other from day one.

Goldie Rescue or the two Lab rescue groups have lovely dogs that are often surrendered due to family breakup or moving into flats (or because there's a downturn in demand for pet shop pups). If you want an adult or teenager they'd be the way to go, especially if you're used to the training required, or sometimes PB Reg breeders have nice adult dogs to rehome. Or do you want a puppy?

Labs and goldies get on with everyone but in my experience they seem to be a bit breedist and prefer each others' waggly tails! At big dog day outs they seem to recognise each other immediately.

If you like Beagles look at some in foster care . Then you can know their temperament and see if they get along with your golden.Some are not so much escape artists if they have company of another dog or humans.My Beagle would only try to escape when i went out and she was on her own . Beagles need company and don't do well left alone for long periods.She would not jump a fence but could dig huge holes under the fence to try to escape. Have a secure run with concrete floor for the Beagle when you are not home

Two walks a day and another dog around and plenty of human attention would be fine for most Beagles.

If I was looking for a second dog to match my Goldie, I'd like a cocker.

My daughter says she would prefer a Tibetan spaniel or a Poodle though. Both those would also suit the soft GR temperament, I'd think.

Friends owned a Golden Retriever girl called Ellie along with a Tibbie girl called Yangze. Both had those soft temperaments and seemed to like the similar things that made them happy. Yangze was devoted to Ellie... she wouldn't get into the car unless Ellie was put in first. She seemed to think Ellie was her big 'sister' who needed special care.