What Book Would You Definitely Recommend To Have In Your Library?

Niki8

Hey guys,

Is there a book you would recommend to have in your library - something like a dog bible where you find various useful info? There are not that many books about dogs in our local store so would like to order something online but without having a chance to read through it a bit it is hard to judge...it doesn't have to be one book covering all the different areas...I guess some may contain good tips on training, some may contain really cool games, etc...I am not looking at anything in particular...I guess I just would like to hear if there are some books you particularly like and go back to :) Thanks heaps :) Just to add, I am getting a labrador retriever so if there are some which are particularly aimed at this breed that would be great too :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely recommend " The New Dog Owners Manual" written by well known Australian Vet, Karen Hedberg.....

Covers everything from Selecting and Raising your dog, Breeding, Geriatrics, Genetics, Kennel Management and General Health Care...

A must have if you are looking for good, sound, advice from the beginning till the end.... :)

I would definitely recommend " The New Dog Owners Manual" written by well known Australian Vet, Karen Hedberg.....

Covers everything from Selecting and Raising your dog, Breeding, Geriatrics, Genetics, Kennel Management and General Health Care...

A must have if you are looking for good, sound, advice from the beginning till the end.... :)

x 2 :thumbsup:

Also "Think Dog" by John Fisher is a great book that looks at how dogs think.

For anyone who breeds, shows, judges, works their dogs or competes in any form of performance events, a must have is "Structure In Action" by Pat Hastings.

"Dog Steps" by Rachel Page-Elliot is another excellent book on dog structure and movement.

I love to have a good 'breed' book in my library (where possible- may be bit harder for non purebred dogs). I found by asking fellow GSD owners/ breeders for their suggestions of a good comprehensive GSD book to be the most helpful.

I also like having a variety of training books available to read and a Canine First aid book is also helpful :)

Oh and can't go past the dog stories/ biographies such as 'Marley and Me' :)

Thanks lots mixeduppup, tdierikx, espinay2, Elenbah, dancinbcs,Puppy Sniffer and Brennan's Mum :) I will see what I can get online and will get a bit dog book crazy I think... :laugh:

"Getting in Touch with Your Dog" - Linda Tellington-Jones.

Gives a run down on T-Touch and how it can be used for various things. I won't say "problems" as it can be used for heaps of things - from relaxing your active dog to stimulating the lazy one!

Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound by Blythe, Gannon, Craig and Fegan.

While it's not exactly light reading, it covers most things very thoroughly and a lot of the information also applies to other dog breeds so it's a book worth having. Only downside is that it's not a cheap book and can be a bit hard to get hold of.

Oh wow, that's an amazing site espinay2!...so many books about dogs and so many on sale and quite very cheap!!! :thumbsup: Big shopping tonight...yay:-)))

Thanks noisymina and Hardy's Angel for your suggestions too :)

Just for general reading and featuring your breed of dog "Until Tuesday" Author Luis Carlos Montalvan

for quick reference online but also can be purchased - http://mrwalnuts.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/dog-owners-home-veterinary-handbook.pdf

For a great laugh -"Dogs" by Ben Wicks (not sure if still in print)but this one is equally as funny -The Dangerous Book for Dogs: A Parody [Hardcover] :laugh:

Thank you Kajtek and zeebie :) Looks like within a few months I will have a good collection of books about doggies...woohoo :D I cannot even express how excited I am reading all this info new to me...I still have quite a few weeks before bringing my pup home (end of November)...I am sooo, I mean SOOO impatient!!! :laugh: