What Book Would You Definitely Recommend To Have In Your Library?

Niki8

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few doggie books about various things but my all time favourite was a gift when I lost my old boy at age 16. It is called " Old Dogs Are The Best Dogs" by Gene Weingarten. You don't have to have owned an old dog to appreciate this beautiful book but if you have it is even more special :)

You are welcome Niki.

You may want to start with "The other end of the leash" by P.McC - it's fab too and a great into to the other one.

I was going to suggest this too - I know I'm a bit late to the party on dog things and Patricia McConnell, but this book opened my eyes to so many things. I'm a much better dog owner because of it, and the books and things I've read and researched since :)

Not really informative but a good read >

Great Working Dog Stories - Angela Goode & Mike Hayes. Compilation of stories from across Australia.

&

Outback Mongrel - David Darcy. Excellent photographs of outback Australia & his dogs, makes me really want to do a similar trip one day!

Not really informative but a good read >

Great Working Dog Stories - Angela Goode & Mike Hayes. Compilation of stories from across Australia.

&

Outback Mongrel - David Darcy. Excellent photographs of outback Australia & his dogs, makes me really want to do a similar trip one day!

I have Mongrel Country by David Darcy. His photos are fabulous :thumbsup:

This thread is going to deplete some savings.. :laugh:

:laugh: That's for sure ElleAus...

Thank you so much everyone! So many great books, I have put some in my wishlist already and I guess will add a few more tonight :) It is going to be a big box of books...yay :D

For anyone who breeds, shows, judges, works their dogs or competes in any form of performance events, a must have is "Structure In Action" by Pat Hastings.

This one!

It is such an interesting read and I always go back to it to try and further my knowledge and strengthen my 'eye' :)

You are welcome Niki.

You may want to start with "The other end of the leash" by P.McC - it's fab too and a great into to the other one.

I was going to suggest this too - I know I'm a bit late to the party on dog things and Patricia McConnell, but this book opened my eyes to so many things. I'm a much better dog owner because of it, and the books and things I've read and researched since :)

Yep me too - great books

Also David and Ruth Weston's book 'Dog training - the gentle modern method'. My bible.

Hi,

I am currently reading The Truth About Dogs by Stephen Budiansky and it is a very entertaining and interesting read.

Recently finished:

- How Dogs Learn by Burch and Bailey which is about operant conditioning and easy to put down IMHO....

- If Dogs could Talk by Vilmos Csanyi which was also entertaining.

Slowly getting through my library and it helps if the books are entertaining as well as interesting otherwise I get a bit bored....

Enjoy your reading :D

Thanks all for your suggestions :) I think from now on I will not have time to read anything else than books about dogs...not complaining at all :) EXCITED!!! looking forward to having a bit more insight into the dog world :D

Btw in love with this forum...starting to be quite addicted :laugh:

I have the two Dunbar books, "Before you get your puppy" and "After you get your puppy" as PDFs and give them to anyone who asks me for advice on their new puppy. My other favs have already been mentioned.

Edited by Luke W

Every new owner of one of my puppies is given "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson. I could not recommend it more highly for anyone wanting to train a dog (and that should mean anyone who owns a dog!)

Glad someone has mentioned this - well done, Le! Fantastic book, full of common sense information, invaluable with a new puppy in the house at the moment :thumbsup:

Another I've always enjoyed, though not a training book, is "Pack of Two - the intricate bond between people and dogs" by Caroline Knapp