Rapid Breathing In Older Dog Question

janisw

Hi all, my older BC has come to stay with me for 2 weeks. Usualy he lives on the farm but comes home for visits. I have had this boy since he was 5 weeks old , he is now rising 11 yrs old & I noticed he is breathing really fast all the time. when he is sitting up he is panting.

I have taken video of this for my vet to have a look but I thought maybe someone may have had some experience with a dog & rapid breathing before. I am assuming his poor heart is working over time to be breathing like this. His whole body shakes. Its not hot in my house & the other 2 dogs are breathing nice & relaxed & slow. Bit worried about him.

Any ideas. :(

I thought i should add, he is not stressed in anyway. Gums are normal colour. Is still very much alert & moves easy enough for a old fella.

Still eating & going to the toilet as per normal.

Thanks for your reply Erny, I dont know I will ask OH when he gets up (possibly in the morning) He seems hapy enough & nothing out of the ordinary in behaviour in any way. I just dont think the breathing is right.

Could it be anxiety?

he is older, and may not move as easily between the farm and your place ?

A thorough vet check will hopefully put your mind at ease

No I wouldnt think so, he does this alot & is quite used to the travel & being here & there without any dramas. He stays with my OH on the farm & he has lived with us both for 11 yrs so knows us both well and is very much my dog but he hates living in town full time hence he stays on the farm a majority of the time. Vet check definatly in order at least I will know if it is anything serious.

It may help you a little to know we are also in the same boat.

My dog has been doing this since she was 9. She is almost 12 now. It is quite a worry in the winter isn't it?!

In our case the vets say that her heart beat is strong, her temperature is normal and she not depressed or weak so I look forward to any other responses you get.

Thanks for asking the question:)

Could heart worm be an issue for you guys??

Hey Bundyburger, hope you are feeling okay love, xxxx :thumbsup:

No other signs of distress .No temp, eating & bowl movement as per usual. Gum colour looking fine. I have noticed he has no front teeth left. All the little teeth have worn down or broke off by the looks. Hasnt stopped him eating though. I will talk to vet tomorrow. I know he is getting on in yrs & he is looking so old now.

He ws fine when he was on the farm from what i have found out today. his irratic breathing wasnt noticed I should say but Andrew is male so never prob occured to him if somthing was wrong with the old boy lol.

Thanks everyone.