Are People Rude Or Am I Too Sensitive?

GSDowner

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Willow

My Staffy is about 12...he's been going grey for a few years now, and people often comment on it, but not in a bad way. "Awww, look at his grey face, dear old boy!" or "bless, him he's getting on a bit, your lad, isn't he?"....I've never heard malice or bad intention in the tones, just affection and admiration.

Maybe you feel unhappy about the comments because they remind us that our dogs don't live forever, and that makes you feel bad?

Edited by Willow

Guest donatella

I might go round and point out all the fat people and see how they like it. I mean they are fat right, its not like they aren't and shouldn't be offended.

Guest Willow

I think pointing out a dog is old is quite a compliment in many ways, it shows your dog has been healthy and well looked after and has reached a ripe old age.

I wish i was able to get those comments. I lost my dog at the age of 8.

I also think you are taking too much out of the comments. I work in a pet supply shop and when people ask me about my 11 year old cat on my tag they often make comments

the fact is our oldies ARE old. Why get so upset over something that is true?

I think you're being a bit sensitive. I doubt the people who say it are meaning to be mean, they are just commenting on what they see in front of them. If mean, if he had a green coat and people commented on that, would you be offended?

I don't get offended when people comment how young and little my puppy is - age is a fact of life, whether it be young or old, or inbetween!

I agree with these two posts above. But also think that perhaps its just peoples way of making conversation. I see an old man walking his old Samoyed every morning. My girl absolutely loves his old dog and we always stop to say hello. The cold weather makes the Samoyed a bit stiff with arthritis and I will sometimes comment that 'ahhh it must be a bit chilly this morning the old guy is a bit stiff today.' The old man doesn't get offended and normally makes some kind of joke. The fact of the matter is the dog is old but there is nothing wrong with that.

I think you're being a bit sensitive. I doubt the people who say it are meaning to be mean, they are just commenting on what they see in front of them. If mean, if he had a green coat and people commented on that, would you be offended?

I don't get offended when people comment how young and little my puppy is - age is a fact of life, whether it be young or old, or inbetween!

Agreed with Minimax..

I dont think your GSD is offended being called old. :)

I think from memory the vets want to put them on senior food at 7!

Zoe turns 13 in October and Diesel turns 9 in December so an aging crew here too :( though when out and about Zoe acts like a much youunger dog and people are often surprised when I tell them her age.

I might go round and point out all the fat people and see how they like it. I mean they are fat right, its not like they aren't and shouldn't be offended.

How on earth can you equate the too? One is insulting the appearance of a human and the other is stating that a dog is old. Saying that a dog is old isn't insulting at all. There is nothing wrong with being old, there is something wrong with being fat.

10 is getting old for a dog, my boy is nearly 7, going grey too. I think I'd be upset too if people were saying he was old when he's 10, not because it's offensive but because it would remind me that time is precious and I don't have much time left with him. That's my take on it.

Guest donatella

How on earth can you equate the too? One is insulting the appearance of a human and the other is stating that a dog is old. Saying that a dog is old isn't insulting at all. There is nothing wrong with being old, there is something wrong with being fat.

Using the same logic that has been stated here "but they are old so there's nothing wrong with calling them old" I could point a whole world out.

There's nothing wrong with being old, everything gets old but there is something wrong if its being said offensively in my opinion.

but how is "your dog is old" Offensive?

If they came up and said "omg, cant believe you still have your dog, look how old it is, time for a bullet" than yes, get mad about it... (and it wouldnt be the age thing that would piss me off!) but saying "your dog is old" is not offensive...

Guest donatella

Some people don't need reminding at how precious their time is with their dogs. One of our family dogs is 15, arthritic and grey, she looks old, everytime I go home and see her its a constant reminder of how little time we probably have left with her and its saddening.

For perfect strangers to be old old old all the time is that constant reminder people don't need to be thinking about when they should be enjoying the precious moments they have with their now healthy dog!

It might not be offensive but its still out of order for me especially if people are pointing from across the street and saying "look at that old dog" like its on its death bed.

I agree with others, too sensitive.

I have an older Lab who has just started looking his age and I do get comments about it. But I'd hardly say it's nasty.

We have also had to keep him very lean because of severe HD and I've had so many people tell me he's too thin, he's starving, I'm cruel to keep him that way. Now those comments are insulting.

And after loosing my beautiful 4 year old Samoyed earlier this year, well, I'd much rather have had him live to a ripe old age and have people comment on it then to not have him at all.

Ive learnt the hard way that age means nothing. Whats to say your (general 'your') 4 year old dog isnt going to get sick and die tomorrow?

I still dont see the issue, i see dogs in at work all the time and have never had anyone offended because we talk about how old the dog is.

I haven't known a dog yet who's seen the necessity to lie about their age. :laugh:

I'm going to be blunt. A 10 year old dog IS a senior, no ifs or buts about it, and their diet plan, exercise level and care should take this into consideration. You love and care for your dog and yet you are in denial that he's no longer young. It's not like these people are saying "OMG your dog is going to drop dead any second." Some of them may have loved an oldie themselves and have a soft spot for them. I lost my boy at 16 1/2 last year and I treasure dearly every year he lived past everyone's expectations, including my own. If I said to you "What a lovely old boy" would you still be offended? Because I can tell you right now, I'm one of those with a soft spot for the oldies. Ella is now my oldest at 10 and a half so she's also an oldie, and I'm actually glad to be reminded of that. She's so youthful that sometimes I forget and I don't want to push her too hard.

With today's throw-away mentality people are probably delighted to see someone who obviously loves and cares for their dog enough for them to still be around - I'd be seeing it as a compliment, not rudeness.

Would it be offensive if I stated if grass is green? Why not save the hurt feelings for things that are said with offensive intent. I just don't get how making what was probably an attempt to be friendly by someone into a thing. I also feel the need to point out that dogs aren't human and you can say whatever you like about them and the beauty is they don't understand :thumbsup: