Are People Rude Or Am I Too Sensitive?

GSDowner

Guest lavendergirl

My German Shepherd dog just turned 10.

I love him dearly and every birthday reminds me that dogs, especially german shepherds

do not live long.

My dog is a big part of our family. He is well looked after, beautiful coat, slim, clear eyes etc.

he just has a bit of white under his chin. He is a cancer survivor. In my eyes he looks like any

adult dog. He doesn't look old at all.

Almost every time I walk him I hear comments about his age.

People point him to their children saying: 'Look, a really old dog";

others, who know him: "he is getting old". I asked one man why he thinks he is old and he

responded: "he walks really slowly" (my dog walks slowly as he'd rather sniff than sprint")

One person said her german shepherd died at 10.

I said to one woman: "how can you say such a thing, he is NOT old" (in fact I wanted to say "Shut up")

She apologised.

I never comment on other dogs' ages. I stop ask about their age, gender, always find something nice to say.

Goodness I bet that lady got a bit of a shock at that reaction. :D

Yes sounds like you are a bit too sensitive - people are just making conversation most of the time. The dogs don't know what they are saying :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I look at my dog and there is no way I would say he looks old

and another thing - I had never thought 10 was old for a dog, german shepherd.

but having read the responses I realised 10 IS old

Genuine question...what age did you consider to be old?

Most larger breeds don't live far beyond 12, of course there is exceptions, but that is their general life span. Like I said earlier I hope your boy does have plenty left in him, but I'm just wondering what age you do consider old for a dog?

Most larger breeds don't live far beyond 12, of course there is exceptions, but that is their general life span. Like I said earlier I hope your boy does have plenty left in him, but I'm just wondering what age you do consider old for a dog?

My previous german shepherds died at 12

Maybe 11 would be old - for a big breed though.

I had a Rotti who lived to 12 years old.

I started to consider him old at about the age of 9. But he was always my 'puppy' in my eyes.

Also if you went to take out Pet Insurance on an older dog, I am pretty sure they generally don't cover you if you take the insurance out after the dog turns 9 years. So I presume thats when insurance companies consider a dog to be an 'older' dog.

Edited by Sares

I've never been upset at having a dog called old, like others I have a soft spot for old grey faces :)

Now when I'm told that my dog must be aggressive/yappy/not safe in public/not a real dog (I've had a lot of very different breeds lol) due purely to its breed, not its behaviour - then im offended.

People just don't know GSD's I think, I have had the comments that my boys look old due to the white fur on the end of their muzzles. One was 1 year old and the other 1.5 years at the time!

Yes, my German Shepherd has always had white muzzle

I also want to add that most people here who are saying their dog is old - have a 15 yo dog, mine is only 10.

For what it's worth my old boy is only 10

I once had a little dog ... we THINK she was a dachsie/ wire haired something .. she certainly was not the most attractive little dynamo .. and had legs about an inch long....

Yes, I did get comments .. "What do you call that?" , etc ..

and I found a good retort was always " She's a cross between a toothbrush, and a meat ant" :) In fact her nickname amongst friends was 'toothbrush'

..as I said.. they are comments ,which float away on the breeze - don't fret.

I guess something to consider too is that every person perceives 'oldness' in varying degrees.

I refer to my two dogs as pups or bubbas and they are both neither puppies nor bubbas (Zeus is 3 and Kirah 1.3 years).

These people might not be aware of the lifespan of a GSD so to them, 10 might be old as they're aware that larger dogs have a shorter lifespan.

That being said, when I'm discussing and old dog with its owner, my comments are usually along the lines of 'what a darling old boy/girl' because they are all so lovely.

Don't take it to heart; some of them might even just be looking for a reason to strike up conversation with you and that's what they come up with!

My dogs will be turning 11 next month (God willing). I think of them, and especially my GSD, as old and with the health concerns they both have I am eternally grateful for every day that I still have them with me.

To answer your question, when I read your opening post, I too thought you were being too sensitive. By the time I got to page 5 I thought that maybe you have a point. I know my dogs are old but I don't think they look it. I still believe they look sprightly and healthy so if someone told me they look old, I 'might' find it upsetting (though not offensive) that others don't see them the same way. I don't think I would appreciate total strangers reminding me that my dogs may not be around for much longer.

That said, it is probably a comment I might make to someone with a golden oldie without thinking twice.

Big hugs to all the oldies out there.

I can see where you are coming from, i get that with my boy even at 7 1/2 lol. With my old girl who was nearly 13 when i had her pts people would always comment on how old she looked and whilst i didn't like to hear it and it annoyed me, the sad fact was it was true. I never like to admit they are getting old as they are just never here for long enough. I don't like watching them grow old, i wish they could live in their prime forever lol, even at 12 years old i still called my old girl 'puppy Tara' :laugh:

As others have said some GSDs just go grey early, i was told it depends on the lines? Whether that is true or not who knows lol If it makes you feel any better people were calling our Tessie old at 8 and she lived to 15. The dog doesn't understand they are being called old :)

Just enjoy every moment you have with them and love them with all your heart, you never really know when anyone's time is up. They are here for a good time, not a long time as they say.

Edited by german_shep_fan

When my first border collie turned 10 I cried and cried as I didn't want him to get old. He lived to 15yo so maybe that was a small over reaction!

Does it upset you because you don't want your dog to get old and leave you?

One of my border collies looks very young because she isn't well. I am constantly having to answer that 'no she isn't a pup'. Had to explain on the weekend that I couldn't get her de-sexed because she is ill. These questions do upset me but I know the people don't mean any harm when they ask them. I am just sensitive because her being sick upsets me.

So maybe think about why being asked if your dog is old upsets you.

My previous german shepherds died at 12

Maybe 11 would be old - for a big breed though.

Looks like your interpretation of 'old' is where the issue lies. Your last dog lived til 12 and yet you think 'old' is just a mere year before that. I don't believe a dog is the same degree of youthful right up until a year before they pass away. Don't forget they are stoic creatures and may not show that they are a little more achey than they used to be. When you get to my age (and I'm not old :laugh:) a year goes by in a milisecond, or so it sometimes seems.

My last dog may well have lived to 16, but that was nothing short of a miracle. Being a dane x lab, I had people telling me from when he was a pup that I would be lucky if he lived past 8, because that was the average age expectancy for a great dane. That upset me at the time, not because I thought they were rude, but because we never have long enough with our babies and I wanted it to be longer. I did some research, decided that as labs tend to go for more like 13 years, that my boy would probably make 10 or 11 if healthy. As far as I'm concerned he was 'an older dog' or a senior by the age of 8 (he had arthritis by then) and spent another 8 years being an oldie. 'Old' to me doesn't mean 'about to drop off the perch', it simply means 'don't expect him to be able to do acrobatic feats as if he was still a two year old.' Also bear in mind that according to age charts that take into account a dog's size, at 16 1/2 he was the equivalent of a 127 year old human, so he was well past what we consider old in human terms, a veritable Methuselah! The box that contains his ashes says "My beloved baby boy" and to me, that's what he always was, even when I knew he was ancient.

He was about the same size and weight as a GSD, so to me, old for a GSD is also 8+, and there's nothing wrong with that!

"My beloved baby boy" and to me, that's what he always was, even when I knew he was ancient.

Aawww.. My Kieran was getting old.. at 7 (dane X) but I still called him "puppy", and he didn't get a chance to be geriatric .. bloat/torsion intervened.

Our`working dogs are often semi retired at 10 ..they are old.They have worked hard for many years in very tough conditions, and usually have something which is slowing them down ....

Charlie is 3 years old but he has an old soul, and people think he is a lot more older than he is. But he is really like a Grumpy Old Man... he grumbles and moves very very slowly, so i can't blame them for them thinking that. I think that! I call him 'Old Man'

I always felt really proud when someone would notice and ask how old my girl was because she was heading on to 17 but still wanted to be out and about with the rest of the pack and I wanted people to see that an old dog can still be an important part of a 'family' and enjoy walks and other activities. Our activities had to be adjusted of course but I dislike people thinking that an old dog doesn't need stimulation or should be pts just because they are old and blind and deaf and sprouting lumps and bumps.

The reality is that not all dogs live to good ages and you should be proud that your GSD boy is one of them. If people make comment to you about his age I'd be more inclined to say "Yes, isn't wonderful he still enjoys his special walk time with me!"

I love the oldies with their grey snouts - they really are precious!

My daughter and I were once too upset by a cafe owner.... he said "that's a really old dog", and Stella was just 9! She looks fabulous, just a bit slow. To be fair, he allowed Sella to sit in the cafe and brought her water, so we felt much better after that:) Nowdays if I hear "what an old dog", I can only answer "Yes, but with good manners:))"

I think your reaction has been unfair and rude to people who are probably just trying to be friendly.

My oldest is a black mini poodle ( a very long lived breed) she turned 11 earlier this year, we always call her our old girl. People often think she's a young dog even though she's going grey, she's full of arthritis and she has PRA so has lost a lot of her eyesight. Out in public in the daytime you would never know, she bounces around like a young dog but in the evening she gets stiff and sore same first thing in the morning. This is when we realise she really is old, even of she lives to 15 or over.

Are People Rude Or Am I Too Sensitive?

Both.

They may not mean to be rude and obviously don't think they are - and maybe they wouldn't be if you saw things differently.

Their perception and yours are two different things.

You are emotionally connected to your dog - they are not. The remarks they make come from a different paradigm.

People talk nonsense all the time. :)

I think there is nothing sweeter than an elderly animal being loved and cared for by their owner. Everyone loves a cute puppy but as so many of us know sharing a life and respecting our animals as they grow old is true love and caring.

6 days ago I had my 19 year old cat pts, I would have said she was technically "old" from about 10 onwards but as others have said, she didn't think so at all, and I couldn't have been prouder of her being a tough old girl til the end. Embrace it, you know you love your dog and always will, whatever his age.