Stupid Precious Mothers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My story is slightly different. I had to take my dog to an emergency vet for an eye issue. When I rushed her in there, there were no people. When I came out to pay it was the same. I stood at the counter behind a lady who had a cat in a carrier. The cat was very quiet (as was my dog). The cat's precious mother went all crazy at me and demanded I move away from her and her cat. I did but she told me I wasn't far enough away. So I moved again to a seat in the waiting room. The receptionist was very, very slow and the cat's mother asked loads of questions. By the time it appeared they had concluded their business a huge queue had grown behind crazy cat lady. She didn't chastise any of these people and their dogs but did ask them to move back. My girl was in pain and needed to go home so I had to go up and try and explain to about 8 people that I was actually next in the queue. No help from the receptionist. I don't think they believed me but my dog was carrying on quite a bit by then so they let me. The receptionist was again awfully slow with me and I felt terrible for any emergency cases waiting in the queue that was getting longer each minute.

So precious mums exist for animals too!

I had an incident recently where I had to yell at a small child, in front of lots of people, including their parents...

We were at the local rubbles and riches market, I had Maui on his car harness, mainly so that if I need to get him away from something quick its not pulling his neck via the collar.

Its crowded as usual and Maui is super cool in these situations, more interested in the smells and any yummy food that has been dropped on the floor (That Im not quick enough to steer him away from).

Standing looking at some items and I see a small child, about 8-9 possibly 10 (i have no idea really) stick his foot out to kick Maui, who was standign by my side doing nothing. His foot made contact and pushed Maui. I saw it and went off my nut.

I yelled "How DARE you kick my dog, if you EVER kick my dog again I will smack you hard you wont do it again"... Now, I would never do this, but I put on my scary voice (BTW I am 5 ft nothing and not very itimidating)... The kid was shocked, so were people around me, but honestly, I dont care. He kicked my dog, doesnt matte rhow hard, but I bet he wont do it again...

His parents? Didnt give a hoot, didnt tell him off or anything.... It angered me so much...

First one boy, then the other started throwing sand at the dogs. Then one of them followed the dogs and threw sand at them. The mums paid no attention. After this went on quite a few times, one boy came right up to Gibbs and threw sand at him. I said very nicely, " Please don't throw sand at the dog it might hurt him ". This got mummy's attention and she said "He's my child and I will speak to him."

I felt like saying 'then why haven't you?'

Next time, say this.

First one boy, then the other started throwing sand at the dogs. Then one of them followed the dogs and threw sand at them. The mums paid no attention. After this went on quite a few times, one boy came right up to Gibbs and threw sand at him. I said very nicely, " Please don't throw sand at the dog it might hurt him ". This got mummy's attention and she said "He's my child and I will speak to him."

I felt like saying 'then why haven't you?'

Next time, say this.

Yep I agree. This is the kind of thing that happens to me and I wish I had said something. I guess I'm so stunned at the time it just doesn't occur to me.

I did growl at a kid once in a playground. I had my dogs with me so I was a safe distance away (you're supposed to be 10m away) but I was watching very closely and when this kid (about 10 I would say) hit my 7 year old (not hard but never the less!) I put on my fiercest voice and growled "Don't you DARE hit him". Kid soon scarpered, no sign of parents anywhere :mad

I had an incident recently where I had to yell at a small child, in front of lots of people, including their parents...

We were at the local rubbles and riches market, I had Maui on his car harness, mainly so that if I need to get him away from something quick its not pulling his neck via the collar.

Its crowded as usual and Maui is super cool in these situations, more interested in the smells and any yummy food that has been dropped on the floor (That Im not quick enough to steer him away from).

Standing looking at some items and I see a small child, about 8-9 possibly 10 (i have no idea really) stick his foot out to kick Maui, who was standign by my side doing nothing. His foot made contact and pushed Maui. I saw it and went off my nut.

I yelled "How DARE you kick my dog, if you EVER kick my dog again I will smack you hard you wont do it again"... Now, I would never do this, but I put on my scary voice (BTW I am 5 ft nothing and not very itimidating)... The kid was shocked, so were people around me, but honestly, I dont care. He kicked my dog, doesnt matte rhow hard, but I bet he wont do it again...

His parents? Didnt give a hoot, didnt tell him off or anything.... It angered me so much...

Good on you!

I would be FURIOUS if a child of mine intentionally hurt or teased someone's animal (or another child) - not that I have kids but I did I would certainly tell them off if I saw it.

I would (and have) also tell other people's kids not to do something around my dogs if necessary, luckily I haven't had to be too firm so far but I would if need be. The way I see it is if your child is hanging around me and my dogs you'd probably expect me to step in if the child was at risk somehow (which I would) so I will also step in if the child is causing risk.

Kks, I don't get people who take an animal to the vet and then seem to have a problem with other animals being there too - it's a vet!?! Also in 25 odd years of taking cats to vets in their carriers I can't recall any of them caring in the slightest about dogs in the waiting room...

I experienced something similar, but from an adult staying at our house.

We have a friend who lives in UK, he got married and decided to visit with his new wife. They stayed at our place for a month, and had to put up with our 6 cats, but they love cats so it was all good. They slept on a mattress in the lounge because we don't have guest rooms, and during the day one of the cats would hang out on their bed. One night the woman wanted to go to prepare the bed for bedtime, and the cat was resting on top of the doona. She made some half hearted shooing sort of hand gestures at him, which he ignored because of course they meant nothing to him. She then picked up her pillow and smacked him. Not hard mind you, but it startled him and he ran off. I yelled at her, and I was seething and ready to throw her out of the house. I can't remember why, but I left the room, had a bitch to hubby about it, who told her hubby, and the next morning she apologised. But still, if she'd done anything like that again she would've been kicked out of the house.

What kind of dog is yours temperamentfirst? If it's not one of the usual " big nasty dog" breeds the mother may not have cared at all because everyone knows only those nasty bully, rotty, dobermann ect bite. (rolls eyes)

He's a red Border Collie, and does have a very gentle smiley face.

I am sorry to hear you had to tolerate that. No ok for parents to just relinquish responsibility for their kids.

We had someone deliver hay tonight and he bought three little girls with him. I warned them our rooster is pretty nasty and that the goat will push them over. He was "they had better stay out of the animals way then".

Naturally being kids they couldn't help but chase some of the animals - one got tossed by the goat and one attacked by the rooster ........Dads reply to their crys - "told you to stay in the truck - you will live".

Gosh I love country parents..

Love that attitude CH, that's how I want to be with my future kids! Embarrassingly I talk to my dogs like that when they do silly things and then whinge, like if they're playing rough and one squeals or when they walk to close and get stepped on - "well I told you not to do it" :o

Guest Willow

I am sorry to hear you had to tolerate that. No ok for parents to just relinquish responsibility for their kids.

We had someone deliver hay tonight and he bought three little girls with him. I warned them our rooster is pretty nasty and that the goat will push them over. He was "they had better stay out of the animals way then".

Naturally being kids they couldn't help but chase some of the animals - one got tossed by the goat and one attacked by the rooster ........Dads reply to their crys - "told you to stay in the truck - you will live".

That was how I was brought up.

Got told not to touch animals we didn't know/didn't have permission to. If we did and got hurt, we got into trouble for not listening to Mum, and for upsetting the animal.

I think that is a sensible way to raise children, and how I plan on raising mine.

This type of attitute from parents really annoys me. As a dog owner I have to make sure my dogs are well rounded good canine citizens. As a breeder I am expected to produce healthy pups who will be good canine citizens. We are regulated by government and our canine associations. All of my good work can come unstuck because of unthinking parents and feral kids. A bit of common sense would go a long way....but so many seem to lack it...bad training or breeding?

Well all I can say people is build a bridge.

It doesnt' matter how wonderful we know our dogs are and how appallingly kids might behave towards them. The onus to keep such encounters from turning out badly will always fall entirely on the dog's owner.

Get used to it. :shrug:

When I was a kid I distinctly remember being told you just don't wander up to strange dogs or go onto their turf, one day I was being a dweeb and chatting to the dog next door, sharing my vegemite sanga over the fence, dangling my legs and talking to it, he was a blue heeler cross or something, and it nipped me on the ankle, it wasn't a big deal, no one called the council or demanded the dog be moved because it was universally understood that was mostly my fault, winding up a herding breed over the fence and sharing my sanga with it was silly, mum knew this, the owner knew this and I sure learned it!

Think I got an ice cream out of it though, yes!

The mother in the OP's post sounds like a right airhead, it seems like we've forgotten how to behave around dogs and become complacent, and kids are losing the education we all took for granted.

Mum has two little dogs, a shihtzu and a maltese, there's two kinds of kids down the park

A) The ones that run off squealing or are ushered off hurriedly by mum or dad, which only makes them more curious. The maltese isn't big on kids, but the shihtzu is a chubby little bundle of cuddles, and god knows kids are always a source of treats and things, right?!

Less small humans, more small treat dispensers and a source of sticky leftovers, anyway, she will quite happily chat to kids and seeing the parents swoop in and cluck their tongues at the mum and shoo Petunia away is a little bit ludicrous, why encourage a fear of dogs in kids and a fear of kids in dogs? Seems crazy to me! This is surely where trouble starts.

or

B) The kids that just prance up gaily to any dog and get in its face, like I said, mum's Maltese, Noodle isn't big on kids, he is of 'unknown origin' to put it nicely, and while he won't bother anyone on or off leash, if a little kid comes up and cuddles him up in her arms while he's wandering around the park he panics and gets growly, lucky mum usually steers them toward the chunk of brown fluff dancing around their feet, raiding pockets for cookies etc, but even though they're little dogs, they're more likely to nip or have a growl or get hurt.

When Noodle has occasionally politely in his own way asked a kid not to touch him, the parents storm up and ask that she keep the dog in a muzzle, the usual rants, etc. I would understand if he was chasing kids or seeking out kids to harass but really, he's just out for his weekend jaunt down the park the same as they are! Gosh.

Might have been her kid, but it's your dog and you have every right to protect him.

This. Yes.

Would the same mother be okay while watching her kid kick your dog, throw rocks at it, pull it's tail? How far does it go before she feels the need to intervene. What an idiot.

Idiots raise idiots.

It takes a village to raise a child, as they say, and I see no drama with a dog owner telling a child to stop being unkind to their dog if the parent hasn't seen.

That's 2 from 2 that I agree with you on now Willow :laugh: .

Guest Willow

It takes a village to raise a child, as they say, and I see no drama with a dog owner telling a child to stop being unkind to their dog if the parent hasn't seen.

That's 2 from 2 that I agree with you on now Willow :laugh: .

:thumbsup: :laugh: