Roof Racks

J...

Due to downsizing my vehicle I'm looking at roof racks to take the pressure off the load inside the car.

The luggage basket I was looking at is too big for my vehicle and I'm conscious of the extra height that a 440 L luggage pod will add to the height of the car.

Does anyone attach their gazebo/tent etc just to the roof racks? Has anyone found a good safe and secure way to attach them? Or do I start saving my $$ for the luggage pod?

Thanks in advance :D

I now people that use roof racks but i also watch them struggling to get them up there so i guess it depends on what size gazebo you have.

Some of those carry there on little steps so they can then reach to tie them down

can you get a gazebo in the luggage pod? In the back of my small mazada, with the seats laid down, I can fit two greyhounds and an oztrail deluxe compact. In the roof basket goes the 2 soft crates, walls and my chair. On the passenger front seat goes my grooming box, which also has my purse, camera etc. If going away for the weekend showing I could put more on the roof but usually squeeze it into the front seat - or - I take the dog trailer.

If I put the big gazebo in it has to lay on the diagonal and the dogs can fit in but with not much room to move around in and get out of the sun. Then I take the trailer.

Good question and one I was going to ask as I used to fold one of the back seats down to fit my gazebo but next year we won't be able to do so as there will be a baby capsule in the way.

Look forward to reading some more responses as roof racks was what I was considering (hubby would lift the gazebo up there)

Another thing to consider is that loading of roof racks can have an effect on the cars handling. As such you really don't want too much weight up top. Also many newer cars do not have the strength to support heavy loads up high.

We get a lot of people travelling through out our way that have 2 or 3 jerry cans of fuel on the roof and then wonder why their 4wd tips over easily on our rough roads.

The higher the load the greater the impact on the cars handling especially in crosswinds.

Edited by yarracully

I guess when I say take the load off the car I'm talking space wise not kg wise :o FWIW I've gone from a Ford Falcon wagon to a Nissan Dualis, not by choice :(

My gazebo is a compact deluxe, I already store it in the top of some storage racks at home so no worries lifting it over my head to get it in the luggage pod or roof racks.

Length and width wise I'll be able to fit both the gazebo (17 kg I think) and the tent (21 kg) in the luggage pod. Pod weighs 17 kg and max load on the roof racks is 60 kg. So that's very much all I can put in it.

Yarracully I am a little concerned over the weight making the vehicle top heavy, it already feels a bit top heavy compared to the Falcon wagon so it's something I will be very conscious of. Obviously I can throw lighter bulky stuff in the pod instead, I'll just have to learn to be better at packing. :o Or be more flexible with the layout on the inside of the car (seats up vs seats down etc).

I think I'll have to look at getting the pod regardless, given I'm looking at a puppy sometime in the next year it's only going to cut inside space down in the car even more.

Thanks everyone. :)