Puppy Alarm Clock

Dlaire

Is there anything I can do...at all to stop my little puppies crying and barking at 5am?

Things I've tried:

Ignoring it - they get louder

Darkened room

Food availble - puppy dry food and fresh water

Toys- all their toys are in the room with them

companionship - there is two of them.

I have kids in the house and dont want them to wake them up! (I'd also like to stay in bed!!!)

What I'm currently doing is getting them up, taking them out to the loo. Getting them breakfast (although they don't really eat it until later) and playing with them. I'm not sure of me getting them up is in fact encouraging then to keep waking early?

Any help would be awesome!

(they are almost ten weeks)

Claire

Good luck :)

I had a pup last year who decided any time between 4am and 5am was her wake-up time and nothing was going to change her mind. She's now 10 months old and is gradually growing out of this routine and now sleeps till a grand time of 5.30am or 6am :rofl:

Interacting with them will be encouraging them to wake up and stay awake, as will feeding them.

Do they quieten down if you throw them a bone or treat that takes a long time to eat? How much do they sleep during the day, and what time do they go to sleep at night? Does keeping them awake longer at night help them sleep later? (It doesn't for my pup, but it might for yours!)

When I came here crying for the same advice - everyone said to put the puppy on the bed ;) (edited to add that this didn't work to get her back to sleep until she was about 8 months old, and even now she needs to run around and be feral for a bit before settling back down)

Edited by minimax

Sorry.

I have two sibling Aussie Terriers.

Very nice choice of breed Dlaire.

I am sorry to have to burst your bubble of complacency but a few weeks of broken sleep will follow the arrival of a new puppy.

The development of a dog's temperment in terms of environmental factors is totally up to you now.

You need to accomodate your pups needs without causing frustration.

Feeding, Toileting and Exercise/Play are completely dictated by exceptionally young pups.

Their routine can be gradually modified as they get older and their neurological development increases.

Rule 1: Enjoy your puppy.

Puppy must feel valued.

The rest is in you hands

With any dog, the practices and processes adopted by puppy owners wishing to raise their dog as a companion animal or a show dog need to allow the puppy to be a dog first, and a pet second.

Regards

Edited by Tralee

In my experience most baby puppies wake around this time and they are also at their craziest. Having two and being litter siblings will only multiply this.

I know you want to stay in bed, but being realistic it would be better to suck it up and rise when they do.

Personally I find this morning crazy time the best training time for puppies. Their mind is alert and they have stacks of energy. I would be separating them (crate one) and train and play with each one individually for a few minutes, then give them breakfast.

They will be ready for a 2 hr nap by around 8am. That is a pretty normal routine.

It may keep them asleep for an additional half hr each morning if they are crated in separate rooms of the house also... worth a try if you are not doing this already.

As they mature they will sleep less during the day and for longer at night and this is when you will be able to sleep in a bit more.

Good luck. You certainly have your work cut out for you having litter sibling terrier puppies. :)

OH boy I can relate to this. My puppy will be 4 months old tomorrow and wakes anywhere between 4 and 5am. It was great while the Olympics were on - because I would get up turn the TV on and dose on the lounge - not so great now. Mine usually needs to go for a pee around 1am - so I take her out and have been putting her back on my bed and she settles down fairly quickly until her body clocks says its time to get up. The minute she stirs - all the big dogs move and then there is no going back.

Mine is learning a truck load from the big kids so just hoping that gradually sleeping in is part of the learning curve. Meanwhile make-up to hide the bags under my eyes is my friend rofl1.gif

Gosh, I must be blessed in the sleep department. The first night we brought our puppy home, he was put into his crate and I didn't hear from him until next morning at 7.30 and he is now 5.5months old and things haven't changed. I have only had to wake up once to toilet him around 4.30am and I put him straight back and heard nothing more until normal time. Mind you he is 'naughty' with other things but he's a puppy and will grow out of these things.

Gosh, I must be blessed in the sleep department. The first night we brought our puppy home, he was put into his crate and I didn't hear from him until next morning at 7.30 and he is now 5.5months old and things haven't changed. I have only had to wake up once to toilet him around 4.30am and I put him straight back and heard nothing more until normal time. Mind you he is 'naughty' with other things but he's a puppy and will grow out of these things.

Im the same my pup came home and slept straight through, no crying, shes still the best little sleeper into bed at 9.30 (any later and she gets cranky haha) and not up till 7 when i get up in the morning (or 8 - 8:30 on weekends).

Guest donatella

bigger breeds have bigger bladders. the smaller breeds are awake more frequently to toilet which probably adds to the early rise time with your Aussie Terriers OP

I have two 4 month olds here and they do a similar thing.

This is what I do with mine:

Wake up anywhere between 4 and 5.30am for their first toilet and breakfast. There is no playing or fun, it's very routine so they don't think it's play time.

They'll sleep in until 6.30 or sometimes I get really lucky and it's 7 and it insane play time outside and another long nap at 9.30ish.

I havn't slept in since the litter was born so I've given up on sleep :laugh:

I did find that they are easier to settle if they are sleeping apart. Daenerys is a bit of a trouble maker and likes to get her brother Beowulf revved up but if they are apart they will either play quietly with the toys I've put in the crates or sleep.

Im the same my pup came home and slept straight through, no crying, shes still the best little sleeper into bed at 9.30 (any later and she gets cranky haha) and not up till 7 when i get up in the morning (or 8 - 8:30 on weekends).

My second pup is the best sleeper in the world, he gets cranky when my alarm goes off, glares at me and buries back down into the covers for more sleep! He will happily sleep through breakfast on the weekends, if little miss early riser doesn't wake him up to play.

Thankfully my pup (4 month old) sleeps to about 6am now, but before wake up call from him was 4.30am. It's going to the toilet, giving him something to eat and then it's back to bed. No play or interaction with him. We don't usually hear anything from him till the alarm goes off but for the pass 2 weeks, he has been sleeping in to 6am.

He has learn there is no use bothering the other 2 dogs to play at 4.30am. Charlie isn't a morning person and you don't usually see him out of bed before 10am, and Emmy goes and bury herself under Mr W and ignores him.

They'll get better :)

When I first got Lucy (Cavalier) she was awake from around 4am. I tried EVERYTHING to get her to go back to sleep but nope if she was up so was I! :laugh: Luckily it was over Summer :laugh: I had 3 weeks off work when I got her & it was the week that I had to go back to work that she slept in :laugh: I woke up at 7am and was freaking out that she wasn't awake & thinking the worst!

From that day onwards she sleeps in until I get up & let her out. Sometimes when I do open her crate in the morning she doesn't get up for another half an hour or so.

Give it time :)

I have never had puppies wake early, litters or individual puppies. I give the last full feed 1 hour be I go to bed to give them time to toilet and play before bed than they sleep through the night with a full belly, not needign to poop until 9 hours after the meal. If they need to go out to pee, I don't turn any lights on but use a torch, praise when they toilet them put them straight back to bed.

The biggest mistakes most people make is feeding them the last meal too early at night and playing with them or feeding them if they wake early. If you feed or play with the puppy as soon as it wakes you are in fact training it to wake earlier and earlier.

Having two puppies together can be an issue because they have someone to play with when they wake. Completely separating them at night in different parts of the house is better for their development anyway and should help with the early rising as well. If you raise two puppies together they need to be separated a lot more than you would with a puppy and an older dog.

Ah I remember Maui waking up at 4:30 every morningfor a while.... Cheeky little booger, lucky I love him..

He will be 2 in October and now wake sup at 5am, jumps on the bed and burys himself under the doona usual with his head on my foot.. There he stays until he decides he wants to get up, he is NOT a morning dog anymore :)