Different Baits?

Inevitablue

For some owners it is whatever other handlers have, some people make a habit of it (rolleyes)

I often use the 'Devon' logs of processed ham in the Deli section, I just cut it up and freeze it.

nothing, my dogs generally won't take bait in the ring so I have given up. Many people have offered me their favourite food ( :D Sway ) and the dog will maybe take a nibble outside but rarely will anything be taken inside.

Edited by Rebanne

I agree with Bisart. I microwave Lamb's fry (Liver) but don't oven dry them. My Dobes love it and never get tired of it......but then again, I don't use alot as it is bait and should be a treat to get them to perform.

I have seen many handlers constantly feed their dogs with the bait and I think that's why they get bored with it.

I've helped hold other dogs in the Utility ring and have yet to meet a dog that does not like the lamb's fry. Good luck.

I agree with Bisart. I microwave Lamb's fry (Liver) but don't oven dry them. My Dobes love it and never get tired of it......but then again, I don't use alot as it is bait and should be a treat to get them to perform.

I have seen many handlers constantly feed their dogs with the bait and I think that's why they get bored with it.

I've helped hold other dogs in the Utility ring and have yet to meet a dog that does not like the lamb's fry. Good luck.

I have also seen people who tease their dogs with bait, the dogs perform what the handler wants and yet they withhold the bait. The dog probably gets bored and gives up because they don't understand what the handler wants.

Cat kibble is heavenly to some dogs, it is very strongly flavoured/scented. Also the little dried fish treats designed for cats.

Mix it up a fair bit, last show mine got excited about left over BBQ sausage, sliced very thinly. Quite often they are on their toes for home-made mackerel biscuits (thanks to DOL for that recipe!).:)

Our local butcher makes these chicken burger patties that stay together so well! I think they put something in them to bind them, but they are human patties. It's got chicken mince, cheese, chives and some garlic in it. My girl goes mental over these and lately cheerios.

My boy is so picky with "Fresh" food. He will eat it.. in his time, but will gobble down dried liver or chicken in the ring. I'm still trying to find out what he goes mental for.

I've used all kinds of stuff at one stage or another. I even grabbed a handful of Twisties from one of my sons when I couldn't find anything else one day and they were a real hit! :laugh:

I tend to use cabanossi or twiggy sticks because they're easy to manage but also like those little zip lock packs of cooked chicken that you can get in the packaged ham/salami section at Coles. These are good to take away because you can just throw them in the Eski and they won't go off.

If I can be bothered, I'll also cook up the liver. I do it in the nucrowave too. Put it on a plate with a desert bowl upside down over the top and then zap it. Doesn't smell, the bowl catches any splatters or pops and when it cools, it's easy to slice and chop.