Hollie - Puppy Dumped With Broken Leg

You would think after all these years I would be used to it but no, the depths of human depravity still never ceases to amaze me....

Contacted by a ranger yesterday to see whether I could help a puppy with a sore leg that just came in. Looking at several photos and way leg was being held, I suspected at worse, torn or ruptured cruciate up to the nicer alternative of a sprain, cut foot, mild bruising etc.

Said yes. Ranger got it to vets straight away today for me (thank you so much if you are reading this). They suspect it is a broken femur.

Xrays are being undertaken this afternoon.

Background of pup - rangers found it dumped in drop off shute. So either a) it was dumped there with a injured/broken leg OR b) the fall through the shute when the dumped it for the young pup has injured/broken its leg.

Either way what a despicable and cowardly act. May whomever did it rott in hell as far as I am concerned.

Please cross everything that it is not a break or that if it is it is a clean break that has a good prognosis for treatment and recovery.

Vent over. Thank you.

Edited by Just Andrea

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a gorgeous little face. People can be so cruel, it shouldn't surprise us but it still does unfortunately. Hope her/his injury is minor and s/he recovers quickly. I think with a face like that, this little dog should find a home very quickly, who couldn't fall in love with a cutie like that!

Edited by iggy mum

At best its someone ignorant who just didn't think that the drop would hurt the puppy. What an adorable baby, those eyes like a baby owl.

I'm sure all rescuers understand your distress, but concentrate instead on all the people, including you, who have stepped forward to help this baby. I always think of the percentages, and way more people have helped this puppy than injured it. It's a gorgeous baby and I'm sure will heal well.

After hours pens sometimes have chutes that open up and then when you shut the shute the "cargo" drop to the floor. The drop for a young puppy or kitten can be enough to seriously injure and/or kill them if they land wrong.

Wow....isn't there a kinder way?! Like a small door?

Just got word. Confirmed tibia full break by x-rays.

Best treatment option recommended is to pin it and crate rest for one month straight and reassessment and then possible confinement again.

They will need to wait for the swelling to go down before proceding.

Not what I was hoping for....

No-one can be sure how it happened. The current swelling suggests a recent event which could have just as easily and more than likely happened prior to dumping and knowing how much muttly pups are valued out that way I suspect more than likely that is the case given I just got an estimate of costs and most wouldn't pay it - easier and quicker to dump the pup and get a new one - that is the mentality of some unfortunately.

The puppy was only dumped yesterday and as soon as the rangers found her they contacted me immediately. They also (which isnt their job), raced the pup immediately to the vet at my request.

The staff at this facility went above and beyond to help this pup. No fault lies there.

No she hasn't got a name yet. I only committed to her yesterday arvo and at that stage was trying to sort out temp care, vet appointment etc and obviously waiting to see what her health status is before making any decisions.

I am waiting for a more accurate estimation of costs and still trying to work out where I can send her for monthly crate confinement given most of my carers have several dogs already and/or are not at home to regularly toilet on lead etc but I will work something out somehow.

Any volunteers welcome. :)

Edited by Just Andrea