Hollie - Puppy Dumped With Broken Leg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought her new name should be "Lucky"... but then I have had another think and reckon she should be named "Karma"... 'cos bad karma is definitely going to be visited on whoever did that to her... *grin*

She's a stunningly pretty little tacker, isn't she? Am truly loving her eyes - so soulful...

T.

That poor baby has been in terrible pain since that happened (whenever it did actually happen). It breaks my heart - we'd never leave a child like that so why a dog? Even if it was an accident by the original owner take it to a vet and have it pts if you can't afford to fix it! Don't leave it in excrutiating pain!

Humans don't deserve dogs.....

Andrea, :wave: she looks very very like a young version of my Bundy.

If she has his temperament she will grow into a great dog.

He was found in Bega pound at around the 4 month mark

Hope someone can help you with looking after her recovery. :crossfingers:

Edited by laughtong

1345698618[/url]' post='5937781']

No-one can be sure how it happened. The current swelling suggests a recent event which could have just as easily and more than likely happened prior to dumping and knowing how much muttly pups are valued out that way I suspect more than likely that is the case given I just got an estimate of costs and most wouldn't pay it - easier and quicker to dump the pup and get a new one - that is the mentality of some unfortunately.

The puppy was only dumped yesterday and as soon as the rangers found her they contacted me immediately. They also (which isnt their job), raced the pup immediately to the vet at my request.

The staff at this facility went above and beyond to help this pup. No fault lies there.

Okay but people are offering to donate and I'm still wondering if the pound is paying the vet bills. No matter if it happened before or after the pup landed at the end of their chute, isn't it still their responsibility to pay for the pup's care?

Poor baby. But I do have a question. These dog-dumping chutes - when the dog hits the bottom are they all mixed up together if more than one dog is put it?? Recipe for disaster if more than one dog can fit in at one stage.

This story has also has made me think of another news article I saw a few years back. I don't even remember the country - but somewhere in the world there are baby dumping chutes. It was a very cold country (Russia ???? maybe) where if babies are dumped outside hospitals they die from cold. So some hospitals (or maybe one - can't remember) built a baby dumping chute that kept the dumped babies warm. It is a sad sad world sometimes.

Guest lavendergirl

It is not a new phenomenon - baby "chutes" were very common in days gone by at village convents where unwanted babies could be left in secrecy.

There are baby hatches in some hospitals. I think there is one at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne. Not all of the "mini pens" (which is what the pounds call the pens which open to the outside) have chutes. Mildura Pound has four which are just self-closing gates.

The idea of the mini pens is for people to be able to place dogs which they've found wandering, but people often use them to dump unwanted animals. At Wagga one day I saw a litter of baby kittens, not more than five or six weeks old. No mum, just a lot of little babies.

Funny story. I was at Mildura Pound doing a pick-up one day and there were a couple of little Shar Pei Xs in the mini-pens. We were in the pound looking at dogs and these two little dogs appeared and trotted up to us for cuddles. They were put back in the mini-pens, and five minutes later, reappeared. We put them back and then watched and the little guy stood up on the edge of the water dish and flipped the catch and let him and his girlfriend out. It's not hard to see why they were found wandering. Luckily their owner turned up half an hour later and reclaimed them.

No-one can be sure how it happened. The current swelling suggests a recent event which could have just as easily and more than likely happened prior to dumping and knowing how much muttly pups are valued out that way I suspect more than likely that is the case given I just got an estimate of costs and most wouldn't pay it - easier and quicker to dump the pup and get a new one - that is the mentality of some unfortunately.

The puppy was only dumped yesterday and as soon as the rangers found her they contacted me immediately. They also (which isnt their job), raced the pup immediately to the vet at my request.

The staff at this facility went above and beyond to help this pup. No fault lies there.

Okay but people are offering to donate and I'm still wondering if the pound is paying the vet bills. No matter if it happened before or after the pup landed at the end of their chute, isn't it still their responsibility to pay for the pup's care?

No Sheridan. It is not the pounds responsibility to pay for the pups leg surgery. They have a duty of care to ensure it is given immediate vet attention in terms of immediate pain or distress or any suffering. Nothing more, nothing less.

They cannot "sell" a pup with any injury to a member of the public. They only have two options for any animal that comes in sick or injured - short-term duty of care (wound attendance, antibiotics, pain relief etc) followed by offering it to rescue (which rescue takes it as is) or euthanasia (which they pay for).

Same as the pound doesn't cover the cost of a dog going to rescue with a mouth full of rotten teeth, they are not liable to fix up a pup with a broken leg dumped by its owner either. Rescue takes the animal on "as is".

Most pounds run on ridiculously restrictive budgets, many don't have kitty (or even cat) or puppy food, most don't worm, despite the most disgusting cases I've seen at some pounds, there is no money left for even for $1 worming tablets, not enough cat litter, not enough bedding, they are understaffed, and under resourced in more ways than one.

It is hardly reasonable to think that the council is going to pay $1000-1200 (current quote without Xray, pain relief and care at the moment) to fix a leg of a pup (which will need months of crate rehab) which is unlikely to be adopted in its current state and maybe get a couple of hundred dollars for it in registration fees given how tight their budgets are. It is also highly unethical to do surgery on a pup only to euthanise it later because no-one will adopt a damaged pup.

So to spell it out once and for all:

The pup is now owned by me (chipped into my name, generating a bill at the vets in my name which I am liable for and will be treated/rehabbed by me and/or carers). The pound had two choices with an injured animal - after keeping it initially comforable and fed - offer to rescue or euthanise given they couldn't rehome it. They chose the former thankfully and it is now mine.

I did not ask for money anywhere in any of my posts. (ETA I only just put my quote amount online now just to prove the point that councils are not going to spend that kind of money on a pup they can't rehome and won't even cover their costs on. To asume anything different is just naive.)

I just came in here looking for some morale support which I really needed.

Thank you to those people who actually had something supportive to say

Edited by Just Andrea

That pic of this innocent little puppy brought tears to my eyes. What a face! Poor baby.

Some people are nothing more than oxygen thieving scum. I hope karma pays the cretins who dumped this adorable puppy a visit.

Totally agree cavNott :cry: Poor little fella. As for the culprits, nothing more than a waste of oxygen :mad Great believer in Karma too.

I am still in the process of confirming details, dates etc with the surgery but nothing can be done until the swelling goes down.

Hopefully it can all go ahead early next week. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime on a brighter note, given she won't be here for several weeks she needs a name.....

So any suggestions feel free.....

ETA I have seen "Lucky" and "Karma" already but something unique and sweet would be good.

Edited by Just Andrea