Acronyms/abbreviations Etc

It would be really handy for new people such as myself to have a pinned topic at the top of EACH forum with a list of acronyms and abbreviations.

I am having a bit of difficulty working out what some of them mean!

Cheers,

Jozlyn

I learned a new one - not from here but it's dog training related... PNU - pool noodle upright, ie you train your dog to run around it and back to you (or where ever else you send it).

BC - border collie

GSD - german shepherd dog

JD - jumping dog

SPDX - strategic pairs excellent

O.CH - Obedience Champion (has done very well in competition many times).

SWF - Small White Fluffy

DA - Dog Aggressive

(these two often go together)

OH - Other Half (spouse) sometimes written DH - for Dear Hubby but I could be wrong

MIL - Mother in Law

LOL - Laugh out Loud (not Lots of Love).

There are some threads on this around the place. There's some listed on my dog club website for Tiitles eg RN - Rally Novice or Registered Nurse sometimes also written RD (Rally Dog?). ANKC isn't very consistent.

ANKC - Australian National Kennel Club.

BYB - Back yard breeder - most often applied to people who have deliberate or accidental litters of dogs without doing responsible health and temperamnent tests first. Ie "bad people".

But it could be argued that a lot of small scale ANKC registered breeders - are breeding their dogs in their back yards - but they do it according to the ANKC code of ethics - we hope.

LBB - little brown bird - frequently spotted on 4WD trips by the lead vehicle and nobody else.

You're just going to have to collect a list and post them in here for us to interpret.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Ok Found your other thread - about the goals for 2012 in dog training.

Almost all of those things are "titles" earned in various ANKC sanctioned dog competitions so what they all mean are listed in the competition rules there.

Or you can cheat and some of them are listed here.

http://www.sadogobedience.org.au/faq.php#faq_letters

In agility, jumping and games:

The qualifiers or grades are

nothing - Novice (3 passes at the easiest level), X - excellent, O - Open, M - Masters

A or AD - is for Agility and then various other letters indicate the grade of competition

J - Jumping - like agility without the dog walk and scramble and see saw.

SP - Strategic Pairs - two dogs and two handlers compete on the same course which is usually divided up so it works better if two dogs do it.

G - Gamblers

S - Snooker

There's also

Herding

Tracking

Flyball

Earth Dog

Endurance

Sledding or Scooter pulling (what Huskies do when there is no snow).

Retrieving

Dances With Dogs

and others.

And some dogs can go in conformation shows and win more titles that way. I'm not so familiar with those because I have a bitsa that is inelligible.

http://ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx

which ones?

lol ALL of them except for the one's that are already listed in the Help forum, I think that's where I found the breed one's and some of the more common one's like lol etc.

Thanks.

Ok Found your other thread - about the goals for 2012 in dog training.

Almost all of those things are "titles" earned in various ANKC sanctioned dog competitions so what they all mean are listed in the competition rules there.

Or you can cheat and some of them are listed here.

http://www.sadogobedience.org.au/faq.php#faq_letters

In agility, jumping and games:

The qualifiers or grades are

nothing - Novice (3 passes at the easiest level), X - excellent, O - Open, M - Masters

A or AD - is for Agility and then various other letters indicate the grade of competition

J - Jumping - like agility without the dog walk and scramble and see saw.

SP - Strategic Pairs - two dogs and two handlers compete on the same course which is usually divided up so it works better if two dogs do it.

G - Gamblers

S - Snooker

There's also

Herding

Tracking

Flyball

Earth Dog

Endurance

Sledding or Scooter pulling (what Huskies do when there is no snow).

Retrieving

Dances With Dogs

and others.

And some dogs can go in conformation shows and win more titles that way. I'm not so familiar with those because I have a bitsa that is inelligible.

http://ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx

Thank you SO much that is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I didn't have a clue where to start looking and of course, Google was no help with an acronym as I didn't know if I was getting the right one or not.

Thanks again.

I will do the ones I know :)

Agility

AD - Agility dog 3 passes

ADX - Agility dog excellent 5 passes

ADM - Agility dog master 7 passes

ADO - Agility dog open 5 passes (has a distance exercise)

Jumping

JD - Jumping dog 3 passes

JDX - Jumping dog excellent 5 passes

JDM - Jumping dog master 7 passes

JDO - Jumping dog open 5 passes (has a distance exercise)

AG.CH - Agility champ (old version)

AG. CH 400 - Agility champ 400, the 400 is the height of jump so there is 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 titles (new version)

Obedience

CCD - Community companion dog

CD - Companion dog

CDX - Companion dog excellent

UD - Utility dog

UDX - Utility dog excellent

O.Ch - Obedience champion

Gr. O Ch - Grand obedience champion

Rally

RN - Rally novice

RA - Rally advance

RE - Rally excellent

RAE - Rally advance excellent

Flyball

FD - flyball dog - 5 points

FDX - Flyball dog excellent - 20 points

FDCH - flyball dog champion - 50 points

AFCH - australian flyball champion - 150 points

FM - flyball master - 400 points

FMX - flyball master excellent - 700 points

FMCH - flyball master champion - 1000 points

Onyx - onyx - 1300 points

FDGCH - flyball dog grand champ - 2000 points

Jeddah - jeddah - 3000 points

Ezri - ezri - 4000 points

Endurance test

ET - Endurance test

Showing

Aust Ch or just Ch is Australian champion

Aust Gr Ch - Australian grand champ

Sup - supreme champion

Tracking

TD - Tracking dog

TDX - Tracking dog excellent

T Ch - Tracking champion

(There is now a few new titles for track and search, I don't know those)

Retrieving ability

NRA - Novice retrieving ability

ORA - open retrieving ability

Hope that helps a bit, there is still alot of titles/sports I haven't listed like, retrieving/field trials, dancing with dogs, herding, earthdog, ADAA agility titles and a few others :)

Edited by tollersowned

LBB - little brown bird - frequently spotted on 4WD trips by the lead vehicle and nobody else.

:laugh: one of our names for Chess is LBD - Little Brown Dog :D

To add to Tollersowned's list:

Herding

Certificates are given as a pass or a fail, and at least HIC and PT must be passed to enter competition:

HIC - Herding Instinct Certificate (dog must show sustained interest in stock and do a small recall)

HT - Herding Test

PT - Pre-trial Test

Competition titles always start with "H", then you have the level, then the course layout, then the stock type, so....

Level:

S - started

I - intermediate

X - Advanced

Layout:

A - A-course (fenced course)

B - B-course (unfenced course)

C - C-course (over the hills and far away...)

Stock:

s - sheep

d - ducks

c - cattle

H.CH (Herding Champion) - From DogsNSW - "A Herding Champion is a dog that has its Advanced title on two different types of stock and has earned 15 championship points on each of those stock- with a minimum of a first place in each."

E.g. - HIAs is an Intermediate title on A-course sheep :)

Edited by Weasels

Track and Search (can only be done once the dog has achieved Tracking Champion)

TSD - Track and Search Dog - must have passed TSD Tests 1, 2, and 3

TSDX - Track abd Search Dog Excellent - must have passed TSD Tests 4, 5 & 6

For ANKC (Australian National Kennel Council - the over-arching registry for many of the sports), it's worth having a quick look at the rules .. www.ankc.org.au then pull down the menu uner about - ritght at the bottom you'll find Rules.

For Dances with Dogs - which has 2 different disciplines - Freestyle and Heelwork to Music, the titles are

Starters - so DWDF.S HTM.S

Novice - DWDF.N HTM.N

Intermediate - DWDF.I HTM.I

Advanced - DWDF.A HTM.A

and Champion DWDF.CH HTM.CH

This is actually fun, isn;t it - so very many things even within ANKC that you can do with your dog. Most are open to all dogs - a few are restricted to type - e.g. there's a list of dogs which can compete in herding, another for Earthdogs, and a list for Gundog work and Retrieving.

Herding

Certificates are given as a pass or a fail, and at least HIC and PT must be passed to enter competition:

HIC - Herding Instinct Certificate (dog must show sustained interest in stock and do a small recall)

HT - Herding Test

PT - Pre-trial Test

Competition titles always start with "H", then you have the level, then the course layout, then the stock type, so....

Level:

S - started

I - intermediate

X - Advanced

Layout:

A - A-course (fenced course)

B - B-course (unfenced course)

C - C-course (over the hills and far away...)

Stock:

s - sheep

d - ducks

c - cattle

H.CH (Herding Champion) - From DogsNSW - "A Herding Champion is a dog that has its Advanced title on two different types of stock and has earned 15 championship points on each of those stock- with a minimum of a first place in each."

E.g. - HIAs is an Intermediate title on A-course sheep :)

And to confuse the herding 1s further, if the title is on the same course but with multiple stock (eg the dog has intermediate title on A course sheep as well as A course ducks) it is combined into 1 title so HIAsd rather than HIAs HIAd

And to confuse the herding 1s further, if the title is on the same course but with multiple stock (eg the dog has intermediate title on A course sheep as well as A course ducks) it is combined into 1 title so HIAsd rather than HIAs HIAd

Thanks :) I was looking at it and thinking if you ever wanted to have a whole lot of title options from just the one sport, herding is up there (along with agility/jumping once you add in gamblers, pairs etc.) :laugh:

Edited by Weasels

Weasels

These are a couple from this year's catalogs...

OC AG CH dogsnamehere ADM JDM ADO JDO SDX GDX SPDX

dognamehere CDX ET ADM JDM ADO JDO SPD SD GDX

The ones before the dogs name are Obedience Champion and Agility Champion, and if they had breed champion - that would go before the dog's name too.

The ones after, I'm guessing go in the order they got them but not necessarily. I am surprised that Open gets listed separately to Masters in the agility combos - but Open is open - anyone can enter so it's not necessarily a higher or lower standard than Masters. There's also a few that have multipliers eg JD04 - because they've met the qualifying criteria x 4 eg Jumping Open (5 passes under 3 different judges) x 4. So I'm guessing at least 20 passes under 3 different judges.

Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't have a couple more grades above masters - but it would make the competitions hard to run.

:rofl: Weasels .. it seems to depend on the database (and maybe the office staff ??) on the day the new registration certificates are prepared. I just put in applications for the same 2 titles on each of my 2 dogs - and they came back in a different order.

It's fixed that Ch/T.Ch/Ag.Ch/O/Ch and the Grands and Supremes go at the front (the Flyball Ch was the exception - that goes after, because it is not an ANKC title in itself - although allowed to be used during the amnesty period.)

All the others go after - for mine, the Rally has now gone in front of the Agility ones for Kirra and the TD for Rory. And I'd expect obedience to go in front probably even of Rally. Agility/Jumping seems to be standard first, and then Games - the Games mostly in alphabetical order. Then Tracking. Herding after agility. ET always seems to be at the end - at least of the ANKC titles.

MRB - yes, Open is separate because it is a separate class - "at least at Excellent level". And along with Masters, can be "multiplied".