10 Month Old Gsd With Severe Hip Dysplasia

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you both so much!

He is HOME!!!! :thumbsup: Although now I'm nervous I'm going to cock something up.

I assume it's from a combination of different food, the drugs and not being able to 'assume the correct position' but his bottom is red and is bothering him. He's on antibiotics for three weeks, anti-inflams and sedation. I take off the Fentanyl patch and dressing on Monday. Then 7 days after my vet will take out the staples and we go back to Melbourne in six weeks for a check-up with xrays.

So for the next 6 weeks he has to be confined and on lead to toilet but he is allowed to slowly walk for up to 10 minutes on those breaks.

I had bought 2 Cloud Collars hoping he could wear that but even the XL one allows him to lick his bottom :( So Cooper is a cone head and it doesn't really work in his crate. So for the moment he is on a single bed mattress with a baby gate on the bedroom floor.post-36665-0-40717800-1362219825_thumb.jpg

I keep my dogs after surgery in the spare room with a baby gate. So long as he does not move around much, that should be okay. Also if you can get a 4 x 4 crate, these are wonderful. Goodluck with his post surgery recovery.

Is the red area a surgery site or where he has been shaved. If only shaved do you have anything that would be soothing to put on it.

Edited by laneka

Oh thank you so much Laneka, that helps my stress! The vet said he has clipper rash on his scrotum and had put a cream on it. But this is anus, he is currently lying with his butt up against the wall but when he moves (has been asleep for a couple of hours) I will gently put a warm compress (saline) on it and then use Anusol. I think that should be ok. Poor guy :(

Oh and by 4x4 crate, do you have any recommendations please? It would need to be solid enough that he can't move it and high enough he wouldn't think of jumping up? Thank you, I'm so worried I'm going to do something wrong.

Twelve weeks seems to be a common recovery time.

We nursed a dog recently, post surgery, that was restricted in movement for six weeks.

It is hard not to give in to them and let them move around.

No explosive movements, I would have thought, and no jumping would have been the instructions.

Anyway, I would do it all again just to see that look in his eye.

Glad to see Cooper is home with you.

Glad he's home :) , and I am sure once he is used to the routine, he will enjoy the convalescing bit :)

If you are home with him ..I suggest he will be much more settled not in a crate ...

I worry about crates/coneheads & massive surgery & limbs not being able to be as flexible as they should.... :o

I have seen/heard dogs really hurt themselves trying to turn around /get comfortable ..either legs /knees hit the wire, or they try & twist around ..cone hits wire , & dog loses some spatial knowledge , & maybe twists a limb th e wrong way :(

Yay Cooper :thumbsup: .. so glad your home.

Bianca , just a thought , but could you section off a corner of a room by using 3 or 4 screen doors ( you can pick them up at the tip shop fairly cheaply) - we may even have a couple here. That way he can still see you but is confined.

Thank you all so much, I really do appreciate the thoughts and ideas (hugs)

I worry about the crate too, it just doesn't seem that big with the HUGE cone on. All night he has been in the bedroom with a baby gate so he can actually see me (on the couch). I think I will see how he does like that and maybe only crate him when I have to pop out.

He ate his dinner with gusto and has only had one big drink. He still hasn't peed since we've been home. I am hoping that is normal due to the meds and him sleeping so much.