Canberra Dog Groomer Advice

TwinkyDay

I have just become the owner of a purebred Shetland Sheepdog because his owner is unable to continue caring for him. As such, his coat is matted in spots and he just needs a good overall groom. Can anyone recommend a good groomer, mobile or salon based, in any of the southside suburbs of Canberra?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.

Helen.

Hi helen,

I have a Sheltie here in Canberra too (Northside though), do you know where your boy came from? My Riley is from Shelbrae Kennels.

I do my own grooming but have heard good things about Shampooch salon, which I think is Southside. The other salon I've heard good things about is Fancy Feathers & Fur but that is Northside (Holt). Aussie Pooch Mobile are mobile and do good washing and basic grooming so may be able to help too, depending how much needs doing.

Hi helen,

I have a Sheltie here in Canberra too (Northside though), do you know where your boy came from? My Riley is from Shelbrae Kennels.

I do my own grooming but have heard good things about Shampooch salon, which I think is Southside. The other salon I've heard good things about is Fancy Feathers & Fur but that is Northside (Holt). Aussie Pooch Mobile are mobile and do good washing and basic grooming so may be able to help too, depending how much needs doing.

I don't know exactly where our Sheltie came from to be honest. He was a breeder initially and then when that phase in his life was over, he went to a new owner. That owner can no longer keep him so we offered to take him. That was this past Saturday.

I hope to be able to do the ongoing grooming myself but I feel that I need the help of a professional as my boy has matting patches behind both ears, between legs and tummy and behind his head. I'd be too scared that I'd hurt him. I've contacted Isabel's Grooming in Phillip to see if they can help but I'll definitely call both your recommendations. Shadow is a good traveller in the car so I'm not too worried how far afield we have to go as long as the groomer is worth it.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks all for those suggestions ... we are southside so would prefer to find something closer to home than Belconnen, etc. But if the southside places that have been suggested don't work out then I'll definitely start the ring around northside.

PS. Has anyone had any dealings with Isabel's Dog Grooming in Phillip? This one is closest to where we live but not sure if they're any good.

You are right to be careful. A lot of groomers will just shave the dog off which is what you don't want. It's a shame you aren't closer as I would happily do it for you properly.

Really emphasize to the groomer that you want to avoid any clippers if at all possible. It often doesn't grow back the same. It is my bug bear with border collie bums. There are groomers around here that shave their bums off and then it is harder to control and looks ridiculous once grown back (and while shaved off).

I've used Isabel's a few times and found her to be great. Dogs look superb - they're little hairy guys, I don't know about big short haired though. I've found other groomers can be hit and miss, and the miss is BAD. For the moment, I'm sticking with Isabel.

eta - Dog World was one of the hit and misses, first time great, second they looked like they'd been attacked with a pair of gardening loppers. Looked worse then when they entered.

Edited by sweetpie