My Dog Just Had A Go At Me. :(

janisw

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a reason for the adage 'Let sleeping dogs lie'.

Unfortunately,, if I let my sleeping beauty lie, she wakes me up at 2am to tell me she's wee'd and poo'd in the house - so last night wee's are a necessity.

Thanks everyone. he seems a bit better at the moment. he is very much showing his age. very hard to get up & down and he is a bloody sook usually. Hasnt been to vet yet , appoitment later in the week. :( but he had a dog wash today ( mobile wash) and he was excellent behaved. kids have been prewarned about him , they have been aroud this dog all their lives so they know him well too.

Im sure vet will take bloods etc & I want everything checked. If he is in pain i want to be able ot manage that not just for my sake but his own too. :)

:thumbsup:

There is a reason for the adage 'Let sleeping dogs lie'.

Unfortunately,, if I let my sleeping beauty lie, she wakes me up at 2am to tell me she's wee'd and poo'd in the house - so last night wee's are a necessity.

So true. If I don't wake up my sleeping dogs they won't do anything inside but will continue to scratch and bark at the door in the middle of the night till I let them out!!

If he is finding it hard to get up or lay down, then arthritic pain, particularly in the hips may be affecting him? The constant pain from arthritis makes people grumpy, let alone dogs.

I found Cartophen injections were useful with an arthritic dog, and certainly eased the pain. The Vet visit is very sensible and I hope discovers the cause of the problem.

HI all, My boy is at the vet as we speak , having xrays at this point. They are checking his chest & also found a lump the size of a tennis ball in his abomen. Usualy its fatty tissue but his is hard & vet thinks tumor. He may have to have biopsy there.

So i have left him there for the xrays & will go back to find out . It was mentioned about the injections for the arthritis. We had our horse on similar thing so i know all about that. We want to see what the xrays show first.

:(

my boy is home, xrays show a few abnormalities around the heart .He has a vein type tube that shouldnt be there & a lesion that shouldnt be there, could be consistant with old age. They are doing nothing about it as it as it isnt yet posing a life threatning problem. we will keep an eye on it though.

The lump they feel is fatty tissue but he will be kept a close eye on to see if the lump gets bigger as it can put pressure on other things near the area & could have to be removed anyway.

He had is first injection for the arthritis back for weekly injections for 3 more weeks & then 3 monthly. Should see some signs of improvement in a few weeks of him being able to get up & down. he runs & plays fine its just if he has been lying down for a bit.

Anyway so $250 poorer I have my boy at home & no real health probs that we are going to do anything about just yet. he is 86 in human yrs. :) would have a walking frame & 100 pills a day if he was human so not doing to bed for a old fart I told him. lol.

Sorry StephM, kids are fine. they are aware he is a old dog & having farm kids they are also clued in on old age & death in our pets. They dont go out of their way to annoy him .

Yep woofnhoof, its good to know he has had a going over now & hope these injections help him. once he is up he runs around like a 2 yr old, its the getting up & down that gets him & its not just in winter either. Just old creaky bones & old age stiffness.

On a good note he has lost just under 3 kgs . he was 40kgs he is now 37.7kg

he was always a big boned dog & vet thought his weight was good. :) .

Sorry StephM, kids are fine. they are aware he is a old dog & having farm kids they are also clued in on old age & death in our pets. They dont go out of their way to annoy him .

Yep woofnhoof, its good to know he has had a going over now & hope these injections help him. once he is up he runs around like a 2 yr old, its the getting up & down that gets him & its not just in winter either. Just old creaky bones & old age stiffness.

You did say he was a Border Collie didn't you? If he is he has to be the biggest one in the world and no wonder he has aged fast. They usually average 18-21 kgs with the biggest going up to about 26kgs.

You did say he was a Border Collie didn't you? If he is he has to be the biggest one in the world and no wonder he has aged fast. They usually average 18-21 kgs with the biggest going up to about 26kgs.

The pic in the OP's avatar looks like BT not BC- could just be a typo. :)

I thought the same too. i have dogs here that are in prime condition between 40/42 kg so thinking of a BC at the same weight is mind blowing .

Maybe its a BC cross :confused:

BC is listed in the other post of breathing issues

Edited by showdog

I thought the same too. i have dogs here that are in prime condition between 40/42 kg so thinking of a BC at the same weight is mind blowing .

Maybe its a BC cross :confused:

BC is listed in the other post of breathing issues

Ok...I have no idea. :laugh:

Glad he is alright :)

I have a tentative suggestion that is part question as well. In my somewhat limited knowledge of dogs, through not having had a lot, I have noticed that they have very good memories (some almost elephant like) and wonder if it is the case that in the early days of your dog's life with you whether you approached training commuication from a domineering angle with the dog or you followed the positive reinforcement approach. In asking this I am not implying at all that you have abused the dog but am curious if the dog expects to be "made" to move as they might have been in puppy and younger days or if when they have been moved in the past they were encouraged and at least made to think they wanted to? My hypothesis is if they are sore and are not expecting to be approached in a manner that they feel they have leeway/time to organise moving etc or maybe they can negotiate staying put they may exaggerate their response accordingly?

I have had dogs in the old days where as kids we seemed to think demanding certain behaviour was appropriate as opposed to what I do now and that is convince my dog that they want to do things too by making it fun, we are a team, so to speak.

I am not qualified to draw conclusions either way in your or any other cases but I am wondering if the dog, with the age related and health related issues, is possibly responding to an earlier pattern or sets of experiences of being woken up and because they aren't feeling well respond as if they have been approached the way they are used to/remember...I hope you get what I mean. My boy has such a memory that I am convinced I have to cross my Ts and dot my I's in preparation of his old age :) Just curious if anyone thinks this might be at all a relevant avenue of inquiry or a possibility?

If there is hip pain greenlip muscle powder, condroitin and glucosamine work great in conjunction with Cartrophen etc. Green lip is great anti-inflam, chondroitin is good for slowing degeneration of cartilage and glucosamine is good with repair of cartilage. Need to watch dose though

lol sorry people. Yes he is a Border collie, The dog in my avitar is my Bull terrier.

He is a big boy & i will add a pic for you if i knew how to do it. . He is not crossed.

Brucebiz, sound questiobn. My dog has not been not been dominated to do anything. I have a good relationship with him but i do think i scared him & with the younger dog he could have thought it was her as he does growl at her when she gets to close. He likes space with her.

So i do think i scared him when he was asleep & it hasnt happened again. I do now call out to himn if i think he is asleep before i touch or pat him so i dont frighten him again.

:)