My Dog Just Had A Go At Me. :(

janisw

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol sorry people. Yes he is a Border collie, The dog in my avitar is my Bull terrier.

He is a big boy & i will add a pic for you if i knew how to do it. . He is not crossed.

:)

That makes him Bernese Mountain dog size and would explain why he has aged so badly. A 40kg dog will age a lot faster than a 20kg dog. We are still showing and winning with 11 year old BCs and don't consider them old.

He is that size & he is a BC. he isnt aged because of his weight. he has always been a bigger dog & the vets are happy with his weight & size. He isnt a tiny long hair BC that you see in the shows but he is a bit taller hence the weight isnt as noticeable.

My Bull terrier is just over 20kgs & she is only 11months old and to compare the 2 he doesnt look big. Pics are needed here & Im am more than happy to add them. Thanks Visla will try send them to you before we have some heart attacks on this site. lol. :thumbsup:

Yes pic's please. So I haven't lost the plot & did read this thread correctly. Phew LOL for a minute there. I have 2 of those "tiny long haired" ones & both them together weigh less than your's. Wasn't being rude just taken back is all.

Edited by BC Crazy

Your Border Collie is two of my Border Collie put together!

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Mine too....& they are not small BC's...how tall is he at the shoulder :confused: He sounds more like a wolfhound cross or something...What was his breeding...who were his parents :confused: How do you know he is a purebred :confused:

My daughter had a BC x Lab & at the most she weighed 30 kilos which was about 3 kilos overweight according to the vet. She collapsed & died suddenly at the age of 4 :( There is a lovely dog at our training who looks like a very large short-haired BC, but he is crossed with a wolfhound & there is no way he would weigh 40 kilo.

ETA...in an earlier post you were worried about your dogs rapid breathing. As I said above, my daughter's 30 kilo BC x Lab, suddenly collapsed & died at the age of 4, from a possible heart attack. So if your dog is pure border collie, then you need to get its weight down to about 25 kilos, even if it is the tallest BC on record. If your vet says it is a good weight at 37.5 then you need a second opinion :(

Edited by sheena

OHH my gosh Sheena, calm down. we had his father who is a reg pure BC & his mother also who was a reg pure BC. Both purchased from same breeder at different times & of different lines. No i will not mention breeders name as its not even relevant. He is not a bloody staghound nor cross with one. I have a some pics coming there is one of him with my Bully & my mini schnauzer just so you can get an idea of height.

All dogs can age graefully or ungracefully & some can appear older then other of the same breed. As humans we dont all age the same do we?

Anyway this is getting silly, its not a slinging match about what breed my dog is its about a older dog who has found to have some health issues & now im on top of it.

Thanks so much to all you have offered advice & been a great help. :) much appriciated & now i hope my pooch can be with me a long time to come. :)

Let the crazies begin. lol. Thanks so much Bundyburger. :) Just so you know i dont really care wether you think my BC is pure or not. The subject wasnt even about that. but i put pics up becuase some think i have a staghound cross & clearly he is not the size of a staghound. lol.

I love my old boy & i will be happy to have him with me for amny more yrs to come. No offence to those who couldnt pic what a 37kg BC looks like. he is a short hair BC & a fatty. lol.

He looks very much overweight to me. I mention that he might not be the breed you think he is, as it could be relevant as to why he is behaving the way he is...maybe...maybe not. :shrug: Other BC people can come in here & correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen a pure BC with those colourings before. He looks a lot like my daughters dog who had the heart attack, possibly brought on by being overweight. You were asking in another thread about your dog having problems breathing, so you definately know it has nothing to do with him being the size he is ?? If you care about your dog & want him to be with you for many years to come, then get some weight off him.

Let the crazies begin. lol. Thanks so much Bundyburger. :) Just so you know i dont really care wether you think my BC is pure or not. The subject wasnt even about that. but i put pics up becuase some think i have a staghound cross & clearly he is not the size of a staghound. lol.

I love my old boy & i will be happy to have him with me for amny more yrs to come. No offence to those who couldnt pic what a 37kg BC looks like. he is a short hair BC & a fatty. lol.

No he doesn't look to be the size of a staghound, but I did say wolfhound x before I saw the picture. He doesn't look to be much taller than my BC boy, but my guy is only 21 kilos & very fit. Please IF he is a pure BC then get a heap of weight off him. :eek: He is probably in pain from sore joints & that is why he is snapping at you.

Thanks for the opinions. Vet think he is going well with loosing weight & has always for his entire life been a big dog. he runs like any other dog all day chasing cows & works a trooper on the farm, his problems are getting up & down & he has arthritis (vet opinion) & hence he is now on the injections & tuff rock to help with any joints. He is on a great eating plan also to help with the weight.

i must add he is tri colour but i clipped him last yr & he hasnt recovered to well lol. hence the looks of the shitty coat, he is also a short coat . I love him anyway.

Edited by janisw