Microchip Readers

I will be following this thread with great interest.

I actually just sent a link a month ago to another rescuer myself looking at microchip readers and came across Sway's site too.

A microchip scanner of your own I think is almost essential these days in rescue and is on my current wish list of things to have too....I was going to ask Santa for it for Xmas. :)

It is the durability and warranty that is most important to me.

Edited by Just Andrea

I did same as above got mine from UK via internet with the dollar so strong worked out very affordable. Sturdy enough for what we require had it for a year with no signs of problems. Just make sure you choose the one reads the chips we have in Australia it easily identifiable most list the chips types they will read.

Edited by cami

What chips do we use? Alot say read ISO chips (FDX-A and/or FDX-B) - does it need to read both or not these or ones in addition to this? What ones should it say it reads?

I don't use ebay,as I have a real problem putting my bank details on any thing via the internet, I need to be able to ring up and give my details over the phone, one of the links mentioned you can only purchase on line, will have to get my trusty firend to order for me.

Janey what brand did you get?

Maree

In Aust we only use ISO chips.

Animals chipped overseas or a long time ago might have non-iso chips which is why pounds need to have scanner that read non-iso chips. We had a cat with a non-iso chip that was done in 1998 pre the nsw CAR coming in. I think since 1999-2000 they are all iso, so it would only be very old animals other than imports usually.

I left my bag in the pound overnight once and a large dog got out of its pen and played chew toy with my scanner, chew marks, battery out...

New battery, eventually found the battery cover, and it worked fine.

Edited by bonny_beagle

I bought this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUSTRALIAN-MINI-MICROCHIP-PET-SCANNER-ISO-CHIPS-free-test-chip-MID05-/180794805831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a1835ce47. It comes with a 1-year warranty and costs approx $120 including airmail from the UK, depending on exchange rate on the day the bank processes the payment.

It recharges via a USB port, no battery replacement at all and I've been using it at least weekly for the past 4 or 5 months without needing to recharge.

Because its so small, it just lives in my handbag so that we now ensure that every animal is scanned on intake and again when leaving our care. Chips get lost and paperwork can be mixed up -- when my scanner arrived I went around my place scanning everyone to play with the new toy :laugh: and discovered a cat had lost her chip somewhere in my house.

Thank you for the recommendation JaneyA.

I am about to put in an order (for 2) very soon. If anyone else would like one please let me know asap, there is a 10% discount for 5 or more plus postage is cheaper for additional items, so like everything it pays to buy in bulk.

Current price depending on conversion rate will be about $105-110 each but if we do 5 or more in one lot could work out about $90 or so each.

If you are wanting one for yourself or group, please text or pm me in the next day or so as I would like to place this order before the weekend.

Ive had one for a few years and it has saved quite a few local dogs from having to go to the pounds and sorted out a few "oops, they are chipped" moments post pounds. Have changed the battery once and it has never missed a beat.

R

Edited by Raelene

• 2 weeks later...