Thanks Megan I hadn't thought of it as resource guarding

I dont think we are quite at the behaviourist point yet, he is still entire and they have only been together 2 days. So they are still settling in really

That's not normal entire dog or settling in behaviour. I would ask your rescue organisation to provide you with a Behaviourist.

Thanks Megan I hadn't thought of it as resource guarding

I dont think we are quite at the behaviourist point yet, he is still entire and they have only been together 2 days. So they are still settling in really

I am surprised a rescue would even place an entire dog into foster care to begin with. :eek:

And chances are, the more he settles in and the more comfortable he feels, the more protective of your parents he'll become. :( I would also be contacting the rescue and seeking the help of a behavourist.

Was the dog even assessed prior to being placed into care or was he taken directly from the pound and placed straight into foster care?

That's why I have suggested a behaviourist C&S - there hasn't been an issue yet but as K9 explained there is more chance of something happened once he has settled in. If something does happen, the resident dog could land up hurt, your parents could be hurt for trying to break up a fight, the foster could be hurt and would most probably be classed as unrehomable because no ethical rescue that I can think of would rehome a dog that had attacked.

There would be fewer issues with dogs if people involved behaviourists before things blow up.

No one was arguing?

I think we are all a bit surprised that an entire dog was placed in a foster home , and we are also wondering if this behaviour was noted during assessment prior to placement, or is something new .

deleting your posts removes the context of what could be a helpful thread for foster carers , or people thinking about helping out with rescue /pound dogs .

Just curious...is it normal for a dog to be placed into foster care before it is desexed :confused:

Yes - it's not uncommon. Sometimes it's one of the fostering duties to get the dog desexed - a few weeks back we had 'bucket day' when a bunch of us (coincidentally) all had our fosters desexed on the same day. Most get the dog desexed quite quickly but sometimes there might be health reasons why you might delay desexing for a little while e.g. Ollie had a bad cough when I first got him and I waited until that cleared before he was snipped.

Edited by koalathebear