So Many Free Dogs

Guest lavendergirl

Guest lavendergirl

Lately I have seen some absolutely beautiful dogs "free to good homes" in Gumtree etc. Just the last few days a gorgeous Amstaff (blue, young female entire ), a Golden Retreiver, Aussie Terrier and others - mostly entire dogs. Someone had placed an ad appealing to people not to do this as the dogs could be used as bait dogs or for breeding. It makes me weep to see this.

How can the message get through to people who say they love these dogs and only want good homes for them that their dogs may end up in horrific circumstances?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can the message get through to people who say they love these dogs and only want good homes for them

I have spoken so many times with people on this issue . :(

When there are family difficulties , or a young dog causing havoc ..all owners want to do is to make sure dog finds a home. They are worried that ,with a price tag , it may not ..and they are often of the opinion that pounds/shelters are the devil's work.

My suggestion is always to put a price on the dog ..and if the new owner does seem perfect, then just say 'no, you don't need to pay" .

Well the freebies beat the $2500 blue SBT pups that have apparently been selected from champion bloodlines. I wasn't aware that people could choose the pups to be conceived :confused:

And on top of that, they are insisting that the sire and dam are both champions when I wasn't aware that blue SBT were considered breed standard.

I always think that if a fee is asked, even if its only $50 that if the dog doesn't settle they may bring it back & ask for their money back.

I have heard of some people taking 2 or 3 freebies & placing each one in the pound as not suitable when it wasn't perfect quickly. They were free so what :mad

There is also the fact that if no value is placed on the dog by its owner then it may be psychologically so for others. As in if its free its no good.

Its the mongrels & all the cats that I feel more sorry for. Pure breeds get a home quicker usually. So many cats on there I can't even look any more :cry:

We do breed rescue...when we see a FTGH of our breed we contact the advertiser and try to get them to put a price on the dog and desex it.....sometimes it works, sometimes they hand the dog over to us for rehoming and desexing, sometimes we get told to bugger off :( . I really don't know what the answer is...you can't legislate for stupid no matter how much you try to educate people that these dogs can end up in terrible situations there is a percentage of humans who just don't care so long as the dog is no longer their problem. :mad

Can I just suggest people who want to contact people who have FTGH on Gumtree don't send them e-mails that make you sound like an absolute looney. We frequently have dogs FTGH on Gumtree but obviously they have all vet work done and all homes are screened but I tell you what we get around 2 emails a day that are just bizzare and come off like the sender is a complete mental.

The dogs we have FTGH on Gumtree are private rehomings but we don't care that they're free because homes are fully screened - so not getting into a debate about that but just wanted to say about the looney factor and people will just hit the delete key.

Edited by sas

]My suggestion is always to put a price on the dog ..and if the new owner does seem perfect, then just say 'no, you don't need to pay" .[

Yes, a good idea. Or put POA, Price on Application.

Deters the 'grabbers for free', at least. Then, as you say, a suitable owner is told...'no cost to you.'

]My suggestion is always to put a price on the dog ..and if the new owner does seem perfect, then just say 'no, you don't need to pay" .[

Yes, a good idea. Or put POA, Price on Application.

Deters the 'grabbers for free', at least. Then, as you say, a suitable owner is told...'no cost to you.'

If a person is being screened properly then it really doesn't matter neither does it matter where the dog is advertised. We have an adoption fee of $300 on dogs in our care and still get a bunch of idiots who want to breed them (even though they're desexed) - people who want to hunt with them etc etc.

Guest lavendergirl

I am not talking about rescues giving away dogs - which would be uncommon I would think - but people advertising dogs for giveaway not desexed, because they no longer have time for it, they have a baby, housing problems etc. They seem to think that giving away the dog is the best thing as sometimes they don't want to be seen as "making money" from a beloved pet. I think these people are naive about what can happen to their dogs.

Can I just suggest people who want to contact people who have FTGH on Gumtree don't send them e-mails that make you sound like an absolute looney. We frequently have dogs FTGH on Gumtree but obviously they have all vet work done and all homes are screened but I tell you what we get around 2 emails a day that are just bizzare and come off like the sender is a complete mental.

The dogs we have FTGH on Gumtree are private rehomings but we don't care that they're free because homes are fully screened - so not getting into a debate about that but just wanted to say about the looney factor and people will just hit the delete key.

Agree with this. There was a litter of greyhound puppies advertised FTGH on Gumtree and by the time I contacted rescue and rescue contacted the seller they had been bombarded with abusive emails. They withdrew the ad and then refused to work with rescue. We never knew what happened to those 7 puppies :(

I must admit I have sent the occasional email and am very conscious of not coming across as a loony

Can you please post some examples of good and bad letters?

That might help those who do like to make contact about ads like this

Guest lavendergirl

I don't think we need examples of how to be polite. I don't see anything wrong with alerting people to the possibilities of what can happen to dogs in giveaway situations - many people genuinely don't realise.

Of course emails etc. should be polite and not abusive, that is obvious - but some people are loonies and nothing will change that.

I recently sent an email to someone who had a free Poodle.

I copied and pasted it for your viewing pleasure,

Hi,

I recently saw your ad for your Poodle and thought I'd send you this quick email. I work with dogs every day in rescue and at the pound and see the result of poor decision making and impulse buys. I by no means am saying you are one of these people and I understand that there are so many reasons that people cannot keep their dogs any longer and respect that. However I'm concerned that your dog is not desexed as I know of people in your area that would buy a lovely dog like yours for the purpose of turning her into a breeding dog for their puppy farm (Puppy farms are shocking and your dog would be so unhappy and possibly become ill if she lived there)I also see every day the dogs that get dumped in the pound because people saw it for free on a site like the one you have your dog on and do an impulse buy, not fully realising the amount of work involved in caring for it. So the dog is dumped or surrendered and is so bewildered and it's just not fair. I have a feeling from your ad that you're good people that have cared for your girl and want the best possible home for her. So as one dog loving stranger to another I would just suggest that you get her desexed or put a price on her that would discourage the impulse buyers. I know you might ignore this advice, but it comes from a place of concern and not judgment at all.

Sorry this email is so long.

All the best with rehoming your gorgeous girl.

There was actually a really good cartoon doing the rounds on FB of a FTGH dog spinning a prize wheel with all the horrible possibilities on the wheel. Can't find it now but perhaps a canny DOLer has saved it. That with a link to a webpage with advice on safe rehoming would probably do the job better than anything.

Guest lavendergirl

I recently sent an email to someone who had a free Poodle.

I copied and pasted it for your viewing pleasure,

Hi,

I recently saw your ad for your Poodle and thought I'd send you this quick email. I work with dogs every day in rescue and at the pound and see the result of poor decision making and impulse buys. I by no means am saying you are one of these people and I understand that there are so many reasons that people cannot keep their dogs any longer and respect that. However I'm concerned that your dog is not desexed as I know of people in your area that would buy a lovely dog like yours for the purpose of turning her into a breeding dog for their puppy farm (Puppy farms are shocking and your dog would be so unhappy and possibly become ill if she lived there)I also see every day the dogs that get dumped in the pound because people saw it for free on a site like the one you have your dog on and do an impulse buy, not fully realising the amount of work involved in caring for it. So the dog is dumped or surrendered and is so bewildered and it's just not fair. I have a feeling from your ad that you're good people that have cared for your girl and want the best possible home for her. So as one dog loving stranger to another I would just suggest that you get her desexed or put a price on her that would discourage the impulse buyers. I know you might ignore this advice, but it comes from a place of concern and not judgment at all.

Sorry this email is so long.

All the best with rehoming your gorgeous girl.

Good sentiments but maybe a tad too long? Something like: (?)

Hi - Just saw your ad and thought I would pass on a tip that may avoid your boy/girl falling into the wrong hands which I am sure you want to avoid. Rescue groups advise against giving dogs away for free as unscrupulous people may buy them and re-sell them for a profit, use them as bait for fighting dogs or as backyard breeders. Often charging a purchase price and desexing will deter these people. Alternatively RSPCA and AWL are really helpful with advice about rehoming. Good luck finding a suitable home for xxxx.