September Challenge

tlc

Exploring isolating your subject

Encompasses depth of field (so play with apertures and distance from backgrounds/subject/camera etc), watching out for distracting background elements (no posts out of heads, learn to move as you visualize your shot to eliminate/minimize funky extras you don't need in the shot etc), altering your shooting angle to get a cleaner background, giving your subjects room to "breathe" and others bits & bobs.

I think it's a pretty flexible theme that allows for all kinds of lenses, techniques & photo opportunities while building on the strong base of "focus". Good step in the move from snapshots to more polished photographs.

Edited by tlc

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A challenge exploring window light might be nice :) I was thinking today of one to teach how to do composites (as I did another one for my selfie today), but again, it's limited to people with a tripod and PS.

Id love to see an example of the photo stack, that soulnds like too much hard work. :laugh:

I think I mentioned about posting sooc photos and it wasnt real well received.

What about a square crop challenge, that might be interesting?

I really don't mine what we do.

My votes would be for something fundamental:

- exploring the rule of thirds

- shooting verticals

- exploring negative space

- exploring alternative ratios: squares, panoramics, cinematic (1:2.39 etc), 1:2, 1:3 and so on

- capturing motion: fast and slow shutters; dragging the shutter; using speedlites/strobes etc

- exploring shooting angles: ground level, from above, straight on, bird's eye...

- isolating subjects from backgrounds: depth of field, shooting angle, watching for distracting elements...

I like the ideas of editing in various ways(textures, composites etc) for ongoing challenges.

I'm not a fan of SOOC as I shoot RAW for a reason; even when I shoot jpeg I think about how I am going to achieve what I want. To not use all the tools at one's disposal is like shooting film and leaving it undeveloped in the roll or putting the camera on P and firing away. What one does in camera is only part of the creation process.

Edited by kja

My votes would be for something fundamental:

- exploring the rule of thirds

- shooting verticals

- exploring negative space

- exploring alternative ratios: squares, panoramics, cinematic (1:2.39 etc), 1:2, 1:3 and so on

- capturing motion: fast and slow shutters; dragging the shutter; using speedlites/strobes etc

- exploring shooting angles: ground level, from above, straight on, bird's eye...

- isolating subjects from backgrounds: depth of field, shooting angle, watching for distracting elements...

I like the ideas of editing in various ways(textures, composites etc) for ongoing challenges.

I'm not a fan of SOOC as I shoot RAW for a reason; even when I shoot jpeg I think about how I am going to achieve what I want. To not use all the tools at one's disposal is like shooting film and leaving it undeveloped in the roll or putting the camera on P and firing away. What one does in camera is only part of the creation process.

I would like the above ideas, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to photography so nothing too difficult would be nice!

like kja's suggestions

was going to start a "square" thread, just because I've been inspired by possumcorner's link in "August" and came up with a few landscape ones this morning :)

other than that, I'm game for most

though textures, and macro stacking sounds too time-consuming for me :(

CM I started the texture thread as an ongoing one, you can start the square crop one since yours are so awesome! Then I'll be inspired to do one, oh I just did one in the texture thread! I'm on fire tonight! :laugh:

I think others should chime in on what they want to do - I'll be on holidays for most of Sept and won't be able to participate much!

Maybe a poll? 1st gets Sept, 2nd gets Oct etc? Save having to do a "what shall we do" thread every month?

Edited by kja

out of time!

I guess I'd start with:

Exploring isolating your subject

Encompasses depth of field (so play with apertures and distance from backgrounds/subject/camera etc), watching out for distracting background elements (no posts out of heads, learn to move as you visualize your shot to eliminate/minimize funky extras you don't need in the shot etc), altering your shooting angle to get a cleaner background, giving your subjects room to "breathe" and others bits & bobs.

I think it's a pretty flexible theme that allows for all kinds of lenses, techniques & photo opportunities while building on the strong base of "focus". Good step in the move from snapshots to more polished photographs.

Edited by kja