lastly Saxon being crazy

7943157060_053a69bc76_z.jpg

canon 400D 105mm @f/4.0 ss 1/1000 ISO800

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Shots in here everyone!

CM, I have a question for you, I noticed you use a lot of really high shutter speeds, do you work mainly in Manual or TV? Just curious, these ones above look like you had fantastic light? I took some action ones the other day and I think when I bumped up the shutter the pics were clearer, but getting the iso to be spot on was a little tough as the day was a bit overcast. I need to practice more.

yeh, always shoot in manual mode

the 2nd and 3rd above were an overcast day, and the last was in shade, I do tend to get as high a shutter speed as I can regardless of whether I'm taking action or portrait just for those unexpected doggy movements, unless I'm deliberatly aiming for a different kind of shot, although it may be more to do with shooting wide-open 90% of the time which obviously means I can get those higher shutter speeds? I don't know I do it all without thinking these days, the ISO always gets bumped up too if I'm seeing too much shutter movement (around ss 1/800) and I give up if I'm looking for sharp action and the ISO has to go to 1600 or above and the ss is below 1/500, it's just not worth it for me, happened to me a bit over winter when I seemed to be out too late to catch enough light

actually was just thinking, the only time I really shoot off wide-open is if there is too much light so the aperture choice comes first, the ISO is adjusted, then whatever is left-over lol ... I have been choosing around f/4.0 for action lately just to get more in focus ... and only when there's enough light and not too many distracting surrounding elements that I don't want ... but I always seem to default to wide-open, I love it and I happily sacrifice multiple shots to missed focus for that 1 that is in focus :D

pers: ooh I like that last Beardie one, great colour, v. nice :D

Have you got a TAv mode tlc? You set the aperture and shutter speed and the ISO floats. I've been using it and it's pretty handy, can keep the ISO moving so it picks the lowest, saves having to bump it around.

I love your work CM :thumbsup:

I still haven't gotten editing done or down to upload anything. Have had two days at the royal so plenty of experimental stuff to work through.

After looking in to native ISOs after they were mentioned by huga I've stopped using auto ISO and changed to setting the ISO at the highest acceptable ISO I need for a situation. When I shot Justice at the park this week in conditions that changed from shade to full sun I set the ISO at 800, used Aperture Priority to set the aperture and let the camera fix the shutter speed. I knew at that ISO that I would always have a fast enough shutter speed for the apertures I was using. There's heaps of info out there on native ISOs if you google it. :)

Yes :)

Once you figure it out, it becomes second nature. I don't know, I guess shooting weddings has trained me to be quick - changing settings from inside the dark church to outside in the sun has to be done in a second. It just takes practice and I promise you will barely have to think about it. We pay big money for these machines, we should be the boss and tell them what to do :)

ETA I should add, that if it's working for you (as in, general you) then that's great! But I can't trust my camera to make the same decisions as me. Because I am a control freak :laugh:

Edited by huga

I've mainly found TAv useful in low light for moving subjects, in normal light I use Av or manual. I think you are still telling your camera what to do with TAv, you decide the aperture and shutter and tell the camera to pick the lowest ISO it can. When things are going fast I don't want to fiddle with ISO and checking shots in light changes and missing some because I know it will go the lowest ISO it can. Depends on what your main subjects are though, so you have to find what works for you with your main type of subjects.

Ok This is my first post in the photo thread. I have been lurking and admiring everyone's photos. Your beautiful photos seem to have ignited something in me so, to begin with, I have borrowed a copy of Understanding Exposure from the library so at least I know what ISO, aperture and shutter speed is lol.

Lots to learn but here's one i took today and I thought it 'stood out'.

post-31269-0-27555800-1348125107_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the welcome Snook. I adore your photos of Justice. They are so clear and vibrant.

Just finished the Understanding Exposure today, are there any other books people would recommend?

So time to put all the knowledge into practice. I've been out messing around with exposures today. Good fun.

Really need a new computer though, takes aaaaaaages to upload images. Santa? Pleeeeease? (If I can wait that long) :laugh: