• Yes but only for fun (dress up)
    • Yes due to breed
    • Yes but just for shows to flatten the coat
    • Yes cause it gets so bleedin cold here :D
    • No, but would consider it at a later date
    • No
    • More then one of the above

I just thought i'd ask the question...

I have started putting a coat on my older dog at night as he's getting older and i wanted to make sure his hips and shoulders stayed nice and warm. But i was asked if i'd put on on my young longcoat GSD, and hadn't even thought of so up until that point. He won't need it for a while yet but it promted the question. Occasionally i will dress the dogs up...Bronx the pup doesn't realise this yet though :cry:

ETA - how much would you be willing to spend on dog coats etc?

Edited by KitKat

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i've got a pattern to make Princess a raincoat. She's just loving running around in the rain and when it hails she loves running around catching it.

rather than her coming in looking like a drowned rat all the time i'm going to make her a raincoat. maybe a bit puncy but it'll save her coat a little bit.

oohhh we bought her a little pink and white stripped hat from the easter show as well. Don't want the cancer getting to her nose, being white and all.

Lillie because of lack of fur and body fat shiver if it gets below 19 degrees so I have knitted a few for her one in cotton as well. She has a Santa T shirt she lives in.

Godzy wears a smoking jacket till he goes to bed.

Gidget has such thick fur she will not wear anything though now she is nearly 13 and has a twing of arthritis I have knitted her leg warmers a la "Oliva Newton John" to keep the joints warm and she struts around in them. Lets get Physical, lets get physical :cry::mad ;)

the red mohair ones are her favourites.

My Sammy the older dog has a lovely Weatherbetta doona coat for winternights. (he goes wee's alot in winter) and he now has a little arthritis.

BUT i'm about the knit them a lovely coat (see other post re: knitting pattern) for during the day.

It's get soooo cold here in Winter.

Not sure how Boubie will react ;) Probably not well at first but i'm sure he will love it (fingerscrossed)

Oh Sammy loves seeing the coat come out as the weather cools. He struts about like King :cry: You would swear the little bugger was on a cat (dog ?)walk when people visit as he shows off this coat.

The dry cleaners think i'm nuts when i take it in for cleaning every few weeks :mad

I LOVE the jumpers you knit LB!!

You should start supplying them to TianaKaeShas Pooka range (that way I stay loyal! ;) )

Chico definitley needs one because he has so little boy fat and his fur isn't all that thick.

I think Amelie will need one even though her fur is rather thick and she eats more than her fair share ;) - she's still so lanky I worry about my baby to getting cold!!

There is always the option of shaving Fritz/Yogi to make coats for all three of them - he has enough fur to go around :cry: (OH didn't find that funny :mad )

Our doys have a drizabone (sp?) coat but only every wear it if they are working while it is really cold and raining. I may put it on our older dog but only on really really cold nights - when his blankets are not enough.

Harvey has one for winter. He rarely wears it but did over the long weekend for easter as we were in Geln Innes and it was about 5 degrees at night and he had to sleep outside, he's not use to the cold plus he was stripped a little while back.

I think it cost me about $30 from the produce, it has a little hood, rather cute, he also has a polo shirt which he never wears :cry:

I have one for Lucy ... it's her pjs .. because when she is clipped she feels the cold (and it looks cute because it's hot pink with angels on it).

I wouldn't have bought one for her but mum gave it to me because it's too small for her bichon

:cry: Ezza - I was drinking coffee when I read that!! Now it's all over the place :mad

No - we've never put coats on our dogs. I could just imagine the look on Stu's face if I tried to dress him in a cute little coat. He thinks he's a tough dog, you see ;)

I answered 'more than one of the above'. I put coats on my dogs because of their breeds (Vizslas & Whippet - short coated, very lean) and because it gets so bleedin cold here :cry:

My guys wear coats when it's cool and they are inactive. That does not limit it to Winter. The younger boy wears a coat overnight in Winter because he's the only one not on the bed and I don't have heating overnight (and minimal at any other time). When I had the old Whippet she wore a coat nearly 24/7 in Winter. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a 'coat freak' and my dogs have several coats each. They each have a waterproof one and several cloth ones. I do not pay large amounts for coats though and have found some great bargains, as well as made some myself.

My dogs wear coats when they are outside in winter and their activity is constrained (eg in the car at night or tied up on the fence at dog club while I put agility equipment in and out)

They also wear jammies at night in winter because its bloody cold here and I don't heat the house overnight. They have a couple of polar fleece coats each of varying designs.

Oh, and Lil does have a pink sequinned one that I bought at Hall Markets in a moment of weakness. :cry:

Greyhounds in Canberra - definitely! They've got heavy quilted ones for winter and already have their lighter PJs on :cry: it's cool enough. I want to get some waterproof 'greyhound' coats too - spotted some recently.

My old boy Angus gets a coat if it's cool enough, he also has a raincoat. At night he is covered with his blankie and won't move once it's on.

Stella doesn't really need anything but she has a rain/coat too if needed.

During the day, they're outside with access to the garage if it's nice, or if the weather's cold/wet they're all inside anyway.

At night, they all sleep in our room which is nice and warm :mad - I need heating!

If we lived further south, I'd had to cover Stella, too. She has no undercoat in summer, and in winter very tiny one. She would need coat in the evenings. In winter I cover her with blanket in her bed, she sure loves it :cry:

Mine all have weatherbeata coats.

But the labbies won't keep them on, hence they are only used whilst at obedience training in winter and they are sitting in the crate waiting their turn, then I pop a coat on them.

The old timer we have (14 1/2) he wears his at night during winter. We tried bringing him inside out of the cold, but he frets too much for the girls and wants to go outside. Since we got him the jacket, he gets up so much better and he loves it.

I have actually started putting it on him the last few nights as it has started to get a bit cool and being as he doesnt have the labbies thick coat, he shivers a bit.

I have only ever used a coat on our old border collie Heather (who has now passed on). She was poisoned, the vet though it was a tick so shaved her so she never grew back her full coat. Mind you she used to race through the bush at night and lose it and I would spend an hour the next morning trapsing through the bush to find it again!! :cry::mad

Mel