• Yes but only for fun (dress up)
    • Yes due to breed
    • Yes but just for shows to flatten the coat
    • Yes cause it gets so bleedin cold here :D
    • No, but would consider it at a later date
    • No
    • More then one of the above

My whippet and greys all have coats.

The greys have shower proof coats with fuzzies inside to keep them warm. They usually only want to go outside for pee breaks if it's raining anyway so shower proof is fine for them. I want to find something light for them to wear around the house but I haven't found anything I like yet. I wish I could make my own but I just barely passed home ec. sewing :mad.

Dallas has a polar fleece coat and a drizabone waterproof coat. He's already used the polar fleece coat at obedience class this year because he was cold in class, and just try and do a 3 minute stay with a shivering whippet ;) . We also train in winter and he's fine as long as he's not soggy so the drizabone is great.

I've got a coat for Max too, but he looks at me as if to say, "Look woman! I have fur!!!" :cry: so he doesn't actually wear it much.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My daughters friends mum goes one step further

Their dogs have:

EAch dog house comes complete with curtains, air vent & bed linen (they get tucked in every night)

Their clothing consists of fur trimmed coats, demin coats with pockets.

Dinner time : Roast beef, potatoes and Veges. and each food type has its own spot on the plate

I'm knitting one for Lucy at the moment - see thread in general discussion (your patterns are on the way BB and Rozzie!). She probably won't need it much in Sydney, but definitely at our place in the Central Tablelands. Only heating is an open fire which goes out during the night and it can get down to minus 10. Mind you, there are different 'sleeping rules' up there - on the bed next to a nice warm body! :cry:

TBone has a nice Thermomaster Fleece coat - I usually only put it on him if he is not well - when he has had a cold or KC. Its a nice coat - looks like his dressing gown!! Poppy doesn't have one - she has such a full coat I don't know whether she will need one. My dogs sometimes have to stay outside until late at night (both have warm beds) so I will probably relent and get her a one soon!!!

I am making some PJs for MLP cause she will really need them!! You can actually buy patterns for full length dog PJs at Spotlight!!!!!! :cry:

We only put a coat on our older dog monique (miniature poodle) because she has a short cut and can get a bit cold in the winter months. Also, mianly because shes getting sick, the poor old darl has every ilness under the sun. Its a nice fleece coat that keeps her nice and warm, she doesnt like it all that much, but its important that she stays warm. The other 2 tend to huddle together when its cold, toby will never need a jacket because chanel is his big fur coat :cry:

My dogs have fine coats without my help :laugh:

I know someone who has a drizabone for her kelpie, and I thought about getting one for mine, because it looked so cool! :rofl: But my OH would never allow it . . . and I don't know whether she would keep it on or just rip it off.

May consider it when they get older though.

I have just purchased 100 water resistant greyhound coats, that should last me a while.

If greyhounds get too cold in winter, they grow a yukky fluffy winter coat, and they shed it all when the weather warms up again.

Do you mind me asking where you brought them?

Mine are just normal dog coats and don't fit the sleek greyhound shape as well as I'd like :rofl:

Guest cloverfdch

Yes both Clover and Elvis wear coats in the cooler months, becuase it gets :rofl: cold here (- 3 or so on a winters morning is normal). Clover has a weatherbeeta that has a chest piece in it to keep her nice and warm. Elvis just has a showerproof, fleece lined coat, but i am going to get him one like Clovers before the realy cold weather hits.

I am just about to make then PJs for when we go to Canberra in June, the poor dogs have to sleep in the car as they are not allowed in the cabin :laugh:.

Edited for stupid spelling :rofl:.

Edited by cloverfdch

All my dogs have jammas even one inside one as we get bad frosts I couldnt sleep if I thought they were cold and here I am in my nice warm bed.

Here is link for some

http://www.lovemypet.com.au/mall/dog_apparel.asp

And a photo of some I made years and years ago before they were so readily availble made from soft upolustrly vinyl and the lining was fluffy dressing gown doubled up from the op shop or blanket pieces cut up, they looked daggy but they worked and the dogs liked them, all these dogs are no longer with me on earth but are still daily in my heart. RIP my friends. Dylan Jess and Sherie

post-22-1112273233.jpg

Edited by coolibahkoolies

Guest LittlePixie

Yep.

Tilly absolutely HATES wearing coats. But unfortunately, if she's been clipped and the temperature drops (which is hard to predict in Sydney... we TRY to leave her hairy through cold bouts but it's not always easy to tell when the weather is going to stay fine or not) then she needs to wear one or she just gets too cold.

Brody wears jumpers too. Because it gets absolutely FREEZING out at Jack's. He has also worn Tilly's Dogosaurus jumper :rofl: and he likes it much more than she does so I think he might score that as a hand-me-down from his big sister :laugh:

I have just purchased 100 water resistant greyhound coats, that should last me a while.

If greyhounds get too cold in winter, they grow a yukky fluffy winter coat, and they shed it all when the weather warms up again.

Do you mind me asking where you brought them?

Mine are just normal dog coats and don't fit the sleek greyhound shape as well as I'd like :rofl:

They are weatherbeata coats and we got them at a special price after I contacted the wholesaler. We had to buy 100 to get the good price though, and cannot choose what colours we will get.

They fit really well except we need to shorten the strap, so it looks like we will be having a sewing day next week.

When people buy a greyhound from us they get a free coat.

We will also be selling some to raise funds for GAP, so if you want to buy one they will be $30. :laugh:

Here are some websites that have patterns for hound coats.

Greyhound Manor

Greyhounds in Need

Mine have some of LBs fluffy jumpers and a couple of "school" jumpers my mum mad... you know, practical, not pretty.

Big dogs have oilskins and the greys are having a coat each made for them by a lovely lady who has the market stall next to ours.

Tshirts and Hawaiian shirts for summer.

Mine have weatherbetas too - cloth and rain proof....

Same as some one earlier said: lean, short coated dogs = cold dogs in winter..... We have the heater on inside for them in winter, so its mostly for training / walking etc.

You can tell when its getting cold - that's when Asher starts to try and sneak on the sofa (which he never looks at any other time).... time to warm the place up for him!

Also the warmer we keep Zayda the less she reacts to her mould allergy.... and her fur is a bit longer and denser (that's the kelpie) so she takes forever to dry if she gets wet....

Dan