Switching From Advance To Black Hawk?

Rosiesmum

Our 6mo Cavvie has been on Advance since we brought her home she is doing well on it nice coat poos firm.

I have read a lot of good things about Black Hawk too and I like the fact that it is holistic.

I am wondering if I would have too much trouble swapping her over or should I stick with Advance as she is doing well on it?

Any other reccs especially from owners of KCC would be appreciated.

. I have read that some dogs have tummy issues with it but perhaps that is true of all new foods?

No, not really. Just make sure you introduce it slowly by mixing it in with your current food. Some dogs thrive on Black Hawk and some don't. It's just a matter of trying new foods and see which ones your dog does well on.

Guest lavendergirl

Rosiesmum - pop into the CKCS breed sub forum and seek some advice there from the many knowledgeable breeders and owners of cavs.

I agree about the term "holistic" - most of the premium kibbles will be well balanced.

Our 6mo Cavvie has been on Advance since we brought her home she is doing well on it nice coat poos firm.

I have read a lot of good things about Black Hawk too and I like the fact that it is holistic.

I am wondering if I would have too much trouble swapping her over or should I stick with Advance as she is doing well on it?

I think that "If it"s not broke don't fix it."

Thanks so much I just noticed how much cheaper it is too!! That is a bonus for us. WIll give a small bag a go. I have read that some dogs have tummy issues with it but perhaps that is true of all new foods?

You can get a sample of it too (to see if it agrees with your dog), but I forgot who you email. May have to pop into the Black Hawk Thread in the Health Forum and ask. Pretty big sample too, I got a KG of it :laugh:

It's definitley a case of trying and seeing what works for your particular dog. If the Advance works for them I'd not be changing it, but if you have anything you think could be better, why not try a small bag, or sample, of the Blackhawk?

Personally, I tried the Blackhawk a few years back and it gave my white show dog tear stains, so I went back to Advance (EVERYTHING I have tried makes the tear stains worse than with Advance - even the exxy Hills Prescription ZD Ultra!).

Then this year, after trying many foods (including Advance) on my young boy who was very fussy, we decided to try Blackhawk - and he loves it and it is great for him, so he is on that and the girls on Advance. So it's whatever works for each particular dog being the best option, as opposed to what works for other dogs. Gotta try it I guess!

I think that "If it"s not broke don't fix it."

Yeah i wish i would have listened to thats, sticking with the Pro Plan here changing isnt worth the hassel....

Exactly what do you think that means? It's kibble. It's a quality kibble. Some dogs do great on it and others not.

But the word "holistic" means nothing.

Personally I don't think it hurts to rotate dogs through a new kibble every now and again but I don't think BH is a miracle diet.

My Lappie did get a tummy upset and bad diarrhoea even with a very gradual change from Advance to Black Hawk lamb (I tried twice with the same results). In general I'm of the "ain't broke, don't fix" school, the only reason I tried was because Tarja was starting to indicate she wasn't all that fond of the Advance and often wasn't cleaning up her dinner. In Tarja's instance I suspect lamb is the problem, as she has also vomited with fresh lamb meat and lamb bones. She's now on Proplan with no problems, but I'd potentially try the chicken Black Hawk at some point. Like all foods, it's a good idea to transition slowly.