Feeding Puppies What And When?

Jsk

Hi Josuki! How are those beautiful babies going?

I am no expert by any means though I wait until mum wants to start spending some time away from the litter at about 2.5 - 3 weeks. I start with one feed a day and I use a "pink slushie" so red beef mince from the butcher & I add divetalac (*spelling) or a puppy milk or goats milk and squelch it though my hands until it is literally a pink slushie and very runny with no real bits in it at all. Once they are lapping this up I start adding a puppy kibble (I use Innova). I put the kibble in a blender dry until it is a powder and add this to the pink slushie. If you leave it soak for about 15 minutes it will soak up alot of the milk then add more. Once the puppies are really getting into it (about 3-4 days from introducing solids) I up it to 2 meals a day and then 2-3 days after that I up it to 3 meals a day. Once you can feel the puppies have their back teeth really well through I stop blending the kibble and just soaking it and serving it wet. I also switch the mince out for Natures Gift Puppy tin food over a week or so. This is where I am up to now. Over the next 2 weeks once their mouths are full of teeth I will start serving the Kibble half soaked (week 5 maybe) and then totally dry (week 6). I probably take mine a little too slow though after seeing a puppy choke to death on food when I was a teenager I am super paranoid. I will also start giving them supervised chicken necks this week (4th week) and see how they go.

I also make sure I get mum to come and nurse them after ever feed for the first week or so just to make sure it is all washed down ok.

Good luck!!

Edited by Merrirose

I do much the same as Merrirose, start off with a pink slushie- beef mince and womberoo blitzed in the blender, then as they get the hang of it add the biscuits pre soaked and all blitzed together goes down a treat. I start offering the slushie at 3 weeks, moving onto adding the biscuits at 4 weeks all depending on how mum and bubs are doing with feeds etc.

I start with farex and divetalact just a little a day to get used to it then start them on Advance rehydratable soaked puppy food with divetalact - mostly start about 3.5 weeks old but last litter was so many started at just 3 weeks. As they grow older introduce some mince and a little tinned puppy food but mostly the Advance - by letting them have the 3 types of food - mince, dry and tinned they seem to be able to cope with most foods - then not a problem when they leave - even though you give the pups new owners details of what is being fed they sometimes try their own foods and less chance of pup getting upset if used to a few different things.

I have started with scrambled eggs (using puppy milk) pups love this. Also baby cereal mixed with puppy milk or yoghurt is also good at about 3 weeks. At about 4 weeks I introduce mince and dry food that has been pre soaked and mashed.

Ok so I like to see what others do so ........

what do you feed your puppies?

First few feeds are scrapped beef - cheap cut of meat scrape off the meat with a knife, leave the fat and sinew behind. Probably 2 or 3 feeds of this 1 x per day before they get mince meat.

What age do you start feeding them?

Depends on the litter and the mum. Usually around 3.5 weeks, a bit later if there's only a small litter. If they don't want to eat the first time I usually skip a day then try again. The pups will start to eat solids when they're ready IME

When do you start taking mum away from babies?

TIA

I never "take" mum away. She is free to sleep away from the pups from day one, about 3 weeks they're usually happier to sleep outside in the sun for an hour or so than go back inside to the babies. From about 6 weeks the pups are away from mum full time except for 3-4 play times per day - if the bitch wants to go back in with them though she is free to do so.

what do you feed your puppies?

A puppy slushy. I blend dry food, Tin food and milk suplement. As the pups get older there is less tin food and it is less blended until it is just soaked dry food. I use the tin food just to help it become more mushy - I don't use a lot.

What age do you start feeding them?

About 3.5 weeks.

When do you start taking mum away from babies?

I never actually take her away. I let her come and go as she pleases and find as they get older she spends less time with them. The only exception to this is when I am weaning I keep her away for about the hour before I feed the pups otherwise she will feed them. :o

Ok so I like to see what others do so ........<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">what do you feed your puppies?

first meals are big bones with meat on ..so they suck it and learn to chew . Then they get meat on the bone with puppy kibble - dry.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">What age do you start feeding them?

4-5 weeks<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">When do you start taking mum away from babies?

Mum is in control of this .

Increase in pup food and a big lessening in the food mum gets means her milk dries up fairly quickly ..and so she is happy to spend time doing her own thing :)