Camping Recommendations Please

Ness1409

Hi all,

The dogs and I are off to visit my dad in Gladstone at the end of September, and we'd like to head out from his place for some camping for say 3-4 nights.

I will have already driven 6 hours from Bris to Gladstone so we don't want to drive much further - maybe 1.5 hours-ish further on?

Can anyone recommend somewhere that is dog-friendly in the area? (My dad keeps on making general camping recommendations, but they are all in National Parks and thus not dog-friendly!)

This would be our first time camping in Australia so I'd prefer a 'proper' campsite with electric hookups etc, but I am willing to consider anything!

Many thanks for any tips.

Cheers

Ness

I'm assuming that you mean the Gladstone in Central Queensland, and not the one in Northern NSW? If so, I'd actually recommend some places just south of Gladstone, check out Agnes Waters and the town of 1770, and maybe Turkey beach?

Th Holidaying With Dogs site has a few Caravan parks listed on the coast - the one at Yeppoon might be a nice option for you.

Holidays with dogs

Hi all,

The dogs and I are off to visit my dad in Gladstone at the end of September, and we'd like to head out from his place for some camping for say 3-4 nights.

I will have already driven 6 hours from Bris to Gladstone so we don't want to drive much further - maybe 1.5 hours-ish further on?

Can anyone recommend somewhere that is dog-friendly in the area? (My dad keeps on making general camping recommendations, but they are all in National Parks and thus not dog-friendly!)

This would be our first time camping in Australia so I'd prefer a 'proper' campsite with electric hookups etc, but I am willing to consider anything!

Many thanks for any tips.

Cheers

Ness

LOL yes, I did mean Gladstone in Qld, sorry had no idea there was another one :)

Thanks very much for the tips, I am off to a camping shop this afternoon have been told about a specific camping with dogs book fingers crossed I can find it.

Red Rock sounds lovely might check that one out a bit more.

Cheers!

My parents live in Gladstone and we often rent a place at Burrum Heads as a half way stopping off point. Burrum heads has a reasonable beach, off lead before 7am and after 4pm (from memory)..and not too far from Hervey Bay. Not quite what you're looking for, but thought I would mention.

• 7 months later...

I am a Gladstone local and second the Agnes Water/1770 idea as the best option. It might be worth knowing that Canoe Point at Tannum Sands is an excellent off lead dog park, only a 25 minute drive south of Gladstone so good for a morning or afternoon walk. It is quite popular with locals, particularly on the weekends, but spacious so that you can manage interactions (or avoid them if preferred) without too many problems. At this time of the year you can head down there mid morning during the week and pretty much have the place to yourself but still have cool enough weather for your canine companion not to get too hot. It is a pretty special spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at Travel Dogs Australia, loads of stuff there.

Anywhere on the coast you will have crocs, so bear that in mind.

There is also Lake Monduran, which is a great spot for families, and the holiday park is dog friendly.

Tannum Sands is nice.