What Age Have You Had The Bitch Wean Puppies?

Jsk

1st litter - 2 pups - stopped allowing them to suck at around 6 weeks or so.

2nd litter - 8 pups - stopped feeding at 3 weeks. I took over feeding, bitch stilled cleaned them.

Pups allowed full interactions with all adult dogs under supervison from 4 weeks.

Ok my babies are 4 weeks old tomorrow and last night when I was in bed the bitch was starting to have a grumble at the bubs. This is the first time I have heard it. I'm thinking maybe it's time to separate her from them for longer periods. She is out for a tub in the mornings for about an hour and a half and in the afternoon for about 2 hours. I'm thinking maybe longer through the day. I have noticed yesterday that she has stopped cleaning up after they toilet.

My Sheltie boy is allowed to go say hello etc to the bubs as I know he would never hurt them and he loved playing with him untill they start trying to suck of him and go to close to the family jewels then he runs from the the little princess. And I wouldnt allow the 2 elkie pups in with them as they are just too rough and would accidently squish them.

I allow mum to come and go as she pleases (except i request she feed them after solids for the first week). Mine started wanting to spend a time away from when they started getting canines at about 2.5 weeks. The babies now go outside in a pen all day on sunny days and she hops in and out as she pleases.

As the title asks what age has your bitch/s started to wean there puppies?

Started not wanting to feed them etc.

I have weaned pups from as early as 2.5 weeks through necessity and as late as 6 weeks. If all is going well I usually allow the mums to dictate the weaning but I do introduce my pups to solid foods from 3 - 3.5 weeks. Some are ultra keen at this stage and others aren't. Just allow mum and pups dictate weaning but make sure that mum is allowed her freedom when she says its time to spend more time away from the pups.

My girls (Cavaliers) usually start to grumble at th pups at about 4 weeks. This coincides with the introduction of solids. They eat more solids, start drinking water (I use cooled boiled at first) and then they begin to just have an occassional feed from her. They are usually weaned at 6 weeks with maybe one or two short quick attempts at mobbing mum before she and they mutaully stop feeding.

I any of the nipples look engorged I let one pup take off a tiny bit until the teats become softer and more comfortable for mum.