Are 2 Dogs Better Then 1

Guest donatella

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has covered the whole 'what if they don't get on' thing, and the general rule seems to be don't get another dog if it's primarily for your existing dog. So, yeh..not going to harp on about those things, as you've already thought them through :)

My own opinion, from my experience, is that 2 dogs are better than 1, and really not much extra work.

I recently brought my 11 year old poodle x Mimi (who had been living with mum since I moved out 7 years ago) to live with me, my partner and our 4 year old toy poodle. Mimi has some annoying habits, but apart from those, it's hardly any additional work. I walk them together, the additional costs for food are negligible really as both are small dogs - and I do think that the benefits far outweigh any negatives. I can't even think of any negatives, really, that aren't really all to do with Mimi and years of entrenched bad behaviour :laugh:

The sum is greater than the parts :laugh:

ETA - also, if you're going to have trouble finding a dog-friendly rental, you're going to have trouble regardless of whether it's 1 or 2 dogs. So I wouldn't think that's gonig to be too much of an issue :)

Edited by Alkhe

I have often pondered this question and have come to the conclusion, for me at least, that 2 really ties you down to a homebound life and makes holidays etc. very difficult.

With one dog you can ask a mate to help out and look after them occasionally or leave at their place if you go on a trip. But most people I know think it might be stretching the favour if I asked them to look after 2 for any protracted period of time.

Maybe its different with a smaller dog like pomeranians.

Edited by samoyedman

Guest donatella

I think its a great start as you get the good with the bad.

I asked my mum she said DO IT (she has 3 small dogs)

I asked my friends they said DO IT

Noone other then my online research has given me any proper feedback. At least here I get real stories of people that actually own more then 1 dog and can give me the good with the bad. DOL is the best place to ask this question in my situation.

Hmmm..

One very active dog ....plus another one to keep her awake = possible mass destruction/increased noise .

Your girl will possibly LOVE a friend- but can your house/neighbours cope?

My elkhound was a highly active puppy, we barely saw him sleep. He wanted to play all the time.

We got our Golden retriever when he was six months old. Within a week he had calmed down, was less destructive and the additional bonus was watching them play with each other :laugh: They have continued to be the best of friends, though we do a lot of one on one activities.

To the OP: It's more work in terms of training etc, but definitely much better and more satisfying from both human and dog perspective.

Guest donatella

I have often pondered this question and have come to the conclusion, for me at least, that 2 really ties you down to a homebound life and makes holidays etc. very difficult.

With one dog you can ask a mate to help out and look after them occasionally or leave at their place if you go on a trip. But most people I know think it might be stretching the favour if I asked them to look after 2 for any protracted period of time.

Maybe its different with a smaller dog like pomeranians.

My 2 dogs combined would be about 5kgs, its not the actual dog that gets me thinking its the ownership that comes with having an extra dog. Lucy pretty much looks after herself at the moment, she's in a good routine. Do I want to muck that up initially with a second dog? Maybe, because just maybe we will both be thrown off for a while but then we'll (hopefully) grow to love the new addition and then a new routine will form.

I don't go on many holidays, I have no huge desire. I did all that when I was younger, travelled and lived in Europe, going away is not high on my priorities aside from special occasions i'm a bit of a homebody these days but i'm completely comfortable with this.

I've thought all the nitty gritty through, I just need to be sure when the time is right, I'm not one to buy on a whim, these things give me major anxiety LOL

Not necessarily better - but different.

I got my second dog for me and me only and I know my first dog would actually prefer it if she buggered off and never came back :laugh: (though he does have his moments of liking her) they get along and don't need to be separated but aren't best friends and it's something to think about. I felt better leaving one dog while I worked full time than I did leaving two dogs, because the second one has separation issues, whereas the first one doesn't.

Cons:

Harder to manage if you get visitors and they are crazy

Much noisier from play noise, also one barking can set the other off, etc

Have to make more effort to train them - harder to wrangle two if they both want in on the treats

Can have resource guarding issues which can mean if they are barking or being destructive it's harder to leave things like kongs out to entertain them

Harder to find a house to rent

Second dog can become too dependant / bonded with the first dog

Pros:

Different personalities can be good for different things / situations

And all the other mushy stuff others said

So would I go back to one dog - no way - but that is because my second dog is my "special" dog, I train agility so more than one dog is better for that and the first dog isn't as suitable for it as the second. BUT if my second dog was as independent, aloof and crazy as my first dog - then I would probably be thinking I should've stuck with one!

On another note - the spacing is probably worth thinking about too so that you don't wind up with two elderly dogs at the same time.

Guest donatella

I don't feel like I can post them as they're not mine you know, she emailed them to me, I'd feel bad, but totally will if it all goes ahead :)

Have lots to think about tonight. I'm hoping a chat on the phone with her will give me more clarity.

Have you by any chance got a friend who's close, handy and has another dog? Perhaps in the mean time while you decide you can work out some kind of schedule to see how she'd cope, buy you some time and give yourself a little bit of a break?

Guest donatella

Have you by any chance got a friend who's close, handy and has another dog? Perhaps in the mean time while you decide you can work out some kind of schedule to see how she'd cope, buy you some time and give yourself a little bit of a break?

I had a Chi here for a few weeks at the beginning of the year who I fostered and she loved him! She coped no problems, they literally followed each other everywhere like a bad smell.

This was my situation exactly when I owned just this

27691_276814818024_2237304_n.jpg

Then I decided to go ahead and get one of these

27691_322240568024_630709_n.jpg

2 would be my absolute maximum :laugh:

Then this was what I always said, no more until Tess passed on....

Enter Jackson!

403018_10150463517748025_1982815484_n.jpg

Definitely no more until my old girl is gone now, but it doesn't stop me researching breeds lol