Good Dog Beach To Visit In Sydney

Amerykus

What part of Sydney?

Our favourite is in Bayview, on the northern beaches. It's a dog park & dog beach and is great for all sized dogs. I've never come across a dog there that didn't have appropriate behaviour, unlike most off-leash dog parks!

On my last few visits to Bayview, I had serious problems with other dogs, and owners' total lack of consideration for other walkers. My aged dog was bowled over by a maniac young Weimaraner. On the same walk the Wei took on my entire male Gserman Shorthaired Pointer (who turned his back on the dog and walked over to me) Earlier in the walk he had been charged at by an Am Staff (the problem was more the owner, than the Amstaff!) when the owners just let the dog bounce out of the car and take of wherever he pleased. Once agian, my GSP just turned away. I find this type of occurrence fairly common at Bayview. The other problem with Bayview is that a lot of people do not pick up after their dog. Also, there are sometimes fishermen down on the beach, and that can be a real hazzard if you have a dog that might raid their bait bags, or not notice the fishing lines when they run along the beach.

That said, Bayview, at quiet times of the day (or better still in the late evening) is a fantastic place to run a dog. No waves - so that is good for some dogs, and great if you want to walk the dog through chest deep water to build up their hind quarter strength.

So Bayview is fantastic, if you choose your times, carefully. I would never go again, on a weekend!

Cheers,

Edited by canine fun sports

On my last few visits to Bayview, I had serious problems with other dogs, and owners' total lack of consideration for other walkers. My aged dog was bowled over by a maniac young Weimaraner. On the same walk the Wei took on my entire male Gserman Shorthaired Pointer (who turned his back on the dog and walked over to me) Earlier in the walk he had been charged at by an Am Staff (the problem was more the owner, than the Amstaff!) when the owners just let the dog bounce out of the car and take of wherever he pleased. Once agian, my GSP just turned away. I find this type of occurrence fairly common at Bayview. The other problem with Bayview is that a lot of people do not pick up after their dog. Also, there are sometimes fishermen down on the beach, and that can be a real hazzard if you have a dog that might raid their bait bags, or not notice the fishing lines when they run along the beach.

That said, Bayview, at quiet times of the day (or better still in the late evening) is a fantastic place to run a dog. No waves - so that is good for some dogs, and great if you want to walk the dog through chest deep water to build up their hind quarter strength.

So Bayview is fantastic, if you choose your times, carefully. I would never go again, on a weekend!

Cheers,

It can be similar at any off leash dog park you go to. We normally go to the one in Penrith which is great at certain times of the day. Some days its a lot of calm dogs and other times it heaps of big dogs that rumble too hard with my Frenchie (I know my Frenchie encourages it). So we dont stick around depend on what dogs are there and how busy it is.

If you don't mind giving them a good bath when they get home, we enjoy going to the bit of beach in Glebe (Bicentennial Park). It's better when the tide is higher, it's worth checking before going.

That water is gross, I wouldn't put my dogs in it. I'm in that water regularly because I do dragon boat training on Blackwattle Bay and it's just dirty and polluted and foul.

Bayview is the best :) but like others have mentioned you need to go mid week to really enjoy, summertime on weekend can be manic.

Nice dog friendly cafe couple of hundred mtrs away to right of the boat ramp.

Bayview is also good first thing in the morning - we tend to leave home around 6.30am and get there about 7.30am - not too many around on the weekends at that time.

Agree :thumbsup: I always say " the crazies don't get up early " I tend to do this no matter what park I go to.

Sandy Bay at Clontarf is also good, and is clean. You can see it from the Spit Bridge if you go from Mosman to Manly. With both Sandy Bay and Bayview though I wouldn't allow a dog to swim out too far as both harbour areas are breeding grounds for sharks.

Unfortunately no surf beaches allow dogs, except maybe in the Shire.

Wollongong has great dog surf beaches and Newcastle, Sydney not so much.

Don't forget Foreshore Drive near the airport runway. Not the prettiest place, but plenty of room to keep to yourself and is calm, shallow and perfect for wading.

My local bit of sand is before council right now - pretty much a given that it will become a dog beach (I'm happy if its just Monday - Friday). It's on Botany Bay, little to no waves and cleaner than any water originating from the Parra river.

Don't forget Foreshore Drive near the airport runway. Not the prettiest place, but plenty of room to keep to yourself and is calm, shallow and perfect for wading.

My local bit of sand is before council right now - pretty much a given that it will become a dog beach (I'm happy if its just Monday - Friday). It's on Botany Bay, little to no waves and cleaner than any water originating from the Parra river.

I was going to recommend Foreshore Drive but last time we went there, people with little kids were trying to have picnics in the middle of the dogs and throwing sticks, rocks and sand at them. It was a busy Sunday afternoon in summer though. The trucks going past the narrow parking shoulder are a bit scary. I haven't seen the feet or heard the rustling in the shrubs for a long time, but I keep my eyes ahead anyway (the dunes have a bit of a reputation as a ... um ... 'meeting place' for people with particular tastes).

Where on Botany Bay?

I'm ok with the water at Glebe at the right tide, as long as I can rinse off the dogs under the showers at Greg's tennis club (don't tell the members). It's better than the mangrove swamps around our area that Stevie really wants to go into!

There really aren't many nice water places around Sydney except the north side.

Sandy Bay at Clontarf is also good, and is clean. You can see it from the Spit Bridge if you go from Mosman to Manly. With both Sandy Bay and Bayview though I wouldn't allow a dog to swim out too far as both harbour areas are breeding grounds for sharks.

My nephew has sailed around Clontarf and Middle Harbour fairly often. He won't go into the water there, as he has seen far too many bull sharks. I wouldn't let a dog stick it's big toe in the water there.

What? Bayview?? Get yourselves down to Greenhills Beach in Cronulla pronto. The dog section is about 2km long. It's clean, big, and there are no roads nearby so the dogs can't get themselves into trouble very easily. It's got time restrictions: before 10am and after 4pm every day. It gets busy on warm days on the weekend, but it's almost deserted in the winter. We went to Bayview once and thought it was an anticlimax. Greenhills is way more interesting and roomy. And the parking is free. And it only takes us 20 minutes to get there rather than 70 minutes. :p

If we want to take the boys to the beach during the day we usually run them down to Wollongong. They have an abundance of excellent dog beaches down there. It's well worth the 40 minute drive from the southern suburbs. If you're on the northern side of Sydney, the Central Coast has good dog beaches as well. Sydney beaches open to dogs during the day aren't worth bothering with.