Dog Show Photography

Elise+Hudson

Hey guys, Some of you may have seen that I have recently purchased the Canon 60D and love love love the camera! I am hoping to take it along with me to a couple of dog shows in the next few months and start learning how to get nice show photos.

I have no idea where to even start though, down to is there a best spot to sit yourself around the ring? Certain camera settings which can be useful.

I just love taking photos of anything, and can't wait to try this camera out at the shows!

I've done one session of shooting at a show. I tried to find a view that was going to allow me to get the dog and handler at their best and get down low. I used Av setting but have been playing around with TAv since then and I'll be sticking with that. I used an 80-200, f around 8 I think and shutter 640 or above (might have been higher). Here's a few of mine http://www.flickr.com/photos/81363891@N04/

I watch the judge for a breed or 2 before whatever I want to shoot to see where they are setting them up and how they are running them to try and pick the best spot. Ideally I like it when I can be directly opposite where they stack the dogs, unfortunately it often doesn't work out this way. The way our rings are setup in SA if they setup as soon as they go in I basically dont bother with stacked shots and just go for movement as I will not manage a good angle for stacked shots.

Be prepared to sit on the ground so that you are at a good level.

I mostly use my all purpose 18 - 200mm zoom and like Reverend Jo the aperture priority setting with around f7 or 8. I will change the ISO as needed to keep the shutter speed over 500, preferably up around 800 to 1000.

I like aiming for the perfect movement shot and end up with a lot of throw aways. It is great when you get 1 at just the right moment showing reach and drive and perfect foot placement :)

I've done one session of shooting at a show. I tried to find a view that was going to allow me to get the dog and handler at their best and get down low. I used Av setting but have been playing around with TAv since then and I'll be sticking with that. I used an 80-200, f around 8 I think and shutter 640 or above (might have been higher). Here's a few of mine http://www.flickr.com/photos/81363891@N04/

I love the dachie pic, thanks heaps for the info on the settings. I will try playing around with mine a bit more now too.

I haven't taken any but I've seen some and I know of one bloke who takes alot and the background is always very distracting in them. So, for that reason, I think you need to use a really shallow depth of field, meaning use AV with a low f/stop like 2.8, so you're not distracted by the fat lady eating a sandwich in the background, or similar, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I haven't taken any but I've seen some and I know of one bloke who takes alot and the background is always very distracting in them. So, for that reason, I think you need to use a really shallow depth of field, meaning use AV with a low f/stop like 2.8, so you're not distracted by the fat lady eating a sandwich in the background, or similar, I'm sure you know what I mean.

That's funny...I just ordered a show photo and there in the background is a man picking his nose....... :laugh:

I usually automatically go for a wide open F stop but I wasn't happy with the DOF and upped it, too much of the handler would be OOF. Background clutter is a fact of life with shows and you have to take a bit of it to ensure enough of the handler and dog is in focus. Some elements can have colour changed if they stand out or removed.

I have no idea about dog shows or the perfect shots of them running around the ring, I guess it's when their feet are aligned and they look fluid? Be gentle, I really have no clue. :laugh:

I went out to the Sydney Royal (the Easter show) about 3 years ago to see a friend who was showing her dog. I used my 70-200mm non IS (which I don’t have anymore). Being the Easter show, there were many people watching the shows and so the railing was erected in a way you couldn’t crouch to shoot through and the dogs would run around in shade as well as full sun. I shot in AV mode and made sure the ISO was high enough for the conditions. I used the continuous mode on my camera, which was a 30D back then. I soon realised some of the handlers of the working breeds move pretty fast.

It was the first time I’ve taken photos of dogs at a show and it was pleasant enough, I prefer photographing things that fly and swim though :D I’ve deleted most of the photos in a recent tidy up, but still have a couple left on my computer.

Here are a few photos from The Royal back then.

medium.jpg

This is the gorgeous Freya, a smooth collie who, I have been informed, took our BIS at the Collie Nationals last weekend. As she's such a stunner, here are a couple of photos from the Sydney Royal Easter show mentioned above.

medium.jpg

original.jpg

being judged (judge on the right)

medium.jpg

The only other photos was when I went out to a local show to see monelite from DOL and took some photos of her then puppy, Furia for her (this was the only dog I took photos of). Furia is now all grown up and won runner up BOB at the Sydney Royal this year.

medium.jpg

Hope you enjoy yourself and post some pics if you wish!

Edited by Ripley

Thanks for the tips guys! Ended up showing a few extra dogs and enjoying relaxing in the sun, so only managed to take a few quick snaps during general specials!

Here are the ones I got of freinds:

And my favourites

309116_10151414500788662_2067098081_n.jpg

560412_10151414501818662_346991930_n.jpg

262952_10151414502153662_95700101_n.jpg

309197_10151414503298662_1885535166_n.jpg

Edited by Elise+Hudson

Great start Elsie&Hudson

I really enjoy taking show pics myself but as I'm still new to photography I'm still not sure what settings are best. I find I'm trying out a lot of different things until I find something I really like.

So often I'll find myself twisted in some silly shape to get low to the ground but not get horribly covered in mud :laugh:

Oh and if there are costume sweeps on make sure you're around with the camera. I've caught some hilarious moments over the years.

7979148417_e34692679f.jpg

7979149704_8e379da076.jpg

7979148509_a44c895185.jpg

7979153903_9fd8767e64.jpg

7979160192_0b15c3be7b.jpg

Edited by Bjelkier

• 1 month later...

Ripley - who is the sheltie in your first photo? Lovely looking dog.

I am getting better at show photos, but am still trying to work out the focus on the new sigma lens.

What issue are you having? You need to get focus on the subject right then pan or they have trouble. I need to head back down to SACA, let me know when you are there next and I'll come down.

To take decent pictures of dogs you need to learn when a dog is stacked and moving correctly. Learn about the individual breeds and the intricacies of showing them.

And this is the very reason I don't do it.

I am getting better at show photos, but am still trying to work out the focus on the new sigma lens.

No idea, I just love shelties so I took the photo. It was about 3 years ago. I was at the show with an ex member here (jbbb) who was showing her dobe.

Possumcorner, I happend to be going to the Easter show when I was told Freya was there so I took some pics. Her owner has them. Couple of years later she goes on to win BIS at the Collie Nationals. Yes, Rosie is her mother.

Edited by Ripley

What issue are you having? You need to get focus on the subject right then pan or they have trouble. I need to head back down to SACA, let me know when you are there next and I'll come down.

Am finding I am having a few focusing issues with the 7D when it is on single focus point. I thought it was the sigma lens, but had the same issue recently with the 50mm. Am wondering if there is something wrong with the camera. Been a issue with 3 different lenses with the aperture not set too wide. Was taking some portrait shots the other day that would normally be sharp and clear and they weren't like they normally are.

I'll be at SACA at the next dog show, but won't be hanging around (night show and I have two things on that night). The next day show I'll be at will be the 17th November.

Would be good to catch up. WIll be hanging around group 5 as normal.

No idea, I just love shelties so I took the photo. It was about 3 years ago. I was at the show with an ex member here (jbbb) who was showing her dobe.

Possumcorner, I happend to be going to the Easter show when I was told Freya was there so I took some pics. Her owner has them. Couple of years later she goes on to win BIS at the Collie Nationals. Yes, Rosie is her mother.

Ripley - wondered if it was Washington (Shelmanna Zulu Prince).