Interesting Research About Ocd In Dogs

Aphra

Summary of the research:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dogs-best-friend/201208/why-do-some-dogs-chase-their-tails

The results are presented breed by breed and in aggregate. Taken together, for example, they suggest that tail chasers were short-changed when it came to maternal care, having been taken on average from their mothers at seven rather than the customary eight weeks. That finding seems potentially very interesting in light of a growing interest in socializing puppies from the day they are born.

Tail chasers appeared to lack or to need more of certain nutrients and micronutrients, particularly vitamin B6 and vitamin C, which seem to curb tail chasing. If confirmed, this finding could have a major effect of the use of serotonin reuptake inhibitors to tail chasing and perhaps other obsessive compulsive behaviors in dogs.

The research paper

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0041684

Awesome, thank you so much for posting this :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My GSD is a tail chaser and whilst we have made significant progress, I will definitely be getting him onto the vitamins, can't hurt.

(what a beautiful place we live in MR) :)

Pardon my ignorance, but does 'taken from their mothers' in this sense mean weaned? Or does it mean when they go to their new homes at 8 weeks? I ask because my new puppy has been chasing her tail a little which is a worry! She came to me at 9 weeks, but was weaned before that as far as I know. Better go and get some vittles into her before it escalates!

The tail chasers I've come across it's been a self rewarding behaviour, something that relieves boredom, inactivity or stress. I've also seen them begin to chase their tails due to fleas, mange or other skin conditions and it manifests from there.

ETA: It's interesting regarding the vitb, we use vitb injections before and during times of high stress for some of our dogs.

Edited by Pav Lova