Urgent Tick Help

far_kenell_73

Hi,

I have never seen a tick in my life and I just found this tiny tick on my dog two minutes ago that just fell off when I touched it. I'm a bit of a journey away from the vet so I was wondering is this a paralysis tick. Should I be worried as I said Iv never seen a tick in my life so have no idea what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thankspost-42165-0-52408200-1346986365_thumb.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like a paralysis tick to me. If your dog is showing any signs of poisoning....wobbly, panting, looks like is trying to vomit you will need to go to the vets for treatment with anti tick serum.

If your dog is OK, keep it very quiet with no excitement. No walks or play. Dog & cats can still exhibit signs 24-48hrs after tick removal.

Good luck.

A good way to pick adult paralysis ticks is by looking at their legs. Adult P ticks have their legs coming out from one place, where as bush ticks and cattle ticks have the legs coming out at different points down their body.

Also, the first and fourth legs on a P tick are a darker, more red colour than its middle two legs.

Ticks.jpg

Edited by stormie

Thanks for the quick replies. Just called the vet they think it is most likely a bush tick, as stormy said the vet said the best way to tell is from the legs colour. The tick is very tiny so it is hard to see but from what I can tell they all look the same colour. I now just have to keep him quiet and monitor him. He seems to be acting very normal. Thanks for all the replies

Have a look at this link. Bit hard to see from your pic but I would tend to say not a paralysis tick. Err of the side of caution unless you decide on a positive id - they are easy to tell apart when you see them in the flesh. If you are not sure keep the dog very quite for the next week. I got a fully engorged paralysis tick and another smaller one off my male dog (30kgs) a couple of weeks ago - kept him very quiet - watched him like a hawk and he did not go down. Yet, at other times I have had dogs go down very quickly

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/archive/agriculture-today-stories/may-2008/identifying-cattle-ticks

It is really really tiny and very hard to take a photo of. You can't even see the legs without taking a photo. Here are some more photos of it, I really don't see and colour difference in the legs, that's why I'm leaning more towards a bush tick. Thanks all the advice is appreciated. The vet didn't think it had been on their long due to size and my where abouts.

post-42165-0-22147500-1346990355_thumb.jpg

I would also be going over your dog very carefully to check for any others. In the ears, inside the lips, between toes, under the collar and around the base of the tail need extra attention. They get into all the tiny little places

Full body, fingertip check.

ETA - are you in an area known for paralysis tick?

Edited by j

I think it looks like a paralysis tick too. I thought it was huge but just must be the pic.

I would be very carefully checking all over your dog incase he has any others on him including

Ears, rear end, inside mouth & gum area.In between toes,pads & armpits. Also another sneaky spot

they like to hide is almost underneath stopper at the back of front legs.

I would like $$ for every tick I have pulled out, I would be able to buy my dream acreage by the sea :)

Hope your dog is OK & I have been any help.

Edited by BC Crazy

Is he on tick prevention of any sort? Even if he is, regular checking, especially of the most likely areas - including under the tail, is a good idea. (But a pain in a coated dog). And yes - fingertips - you will usually feel them before yous ee them.

If he isn't on any sort of tick prevention treat now with Frontline to kill any others that may be on him. This is what my vet advises if you find a tiny tick before symptoms set in.

What area are you in or have travelled to in the last few days?