Urgent Tick Help

far_kenell_73

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok I ended up taking it to the vet. He looked under the microscope, he is 99% sure it is just a bush tick but did struggle to identify it. The legs all looked the same to him indicating bush tick but the legs where very close to the front and bunched indicating a a paralyses tick. If it was a paralyses it was very young and vet thinks it wouldn't do any harm. So hopefully Dex should be ok. Thanks for everyone's help I should be alot better at identifying ticks in the future. I guess you can never be to sure so it's better to be safe than sorry.

I've never seen a paralysis tick that dark in colour - every single one I've pulled off a dog have been a distictive grey colour with a brown/black head section.

Looks much more like a grass or bush tick to me.

Vet attention is always a good idea if you've never had a tick on your dog before anyways - they can still have an allergic reaction to the tick saliva and get sick...

T.

These are paralysis ticks.

You can see the size from the ruler. They had been on the pup for approx 2 days, she was fine.

It is really hard for me to tell sorry SecretKei the pic isn't clear enough.

About 2-3mm. Lighter in colour than the one in pic you posted too..

I've seen several types of ticks and that one is a paralysis tick.

Finding a tick does not mean you need to panic.

I've taken multiple P. ticks off my dogs all on the same day with no ill effects.

The trick is to watch for the signs.

The first sign is a disinterest in food.

And second mild vomiting.

Within twelve hours the dog (large breed) will not be able to stand on its back legs.

This is a medical emergency, so it is better to act on the first signs.

You have a fair window of time after you discover a tick or see signs of poisoning.

Normally pulling ticks of daily is sufficient prevention.

Disclaimer: I handle my dogs every day and when in tick areas groom them for ticks several times daily

I've been covered in bush ticks on my back, and they didn't look anything like that, mind you they were small and didn't have time to gorge themselves on blood so I dont know, the ticks I know that are paralysis are cream sort of colour in the body.

Best all ticks be gone anyway.

J.

J Thank you for making me triple check I just found another one same size under his tail. I wish he had a short coat would be so much easier. Still looking for more.

Thank you

Glad you had another look

Hi,

I have never seen a tick in my life and I just found this tiny tick on my dog two minutes ago that just fell off when I touched it. I'm a bit of a journey away from the vet so I was wondering is this a paralysis tick. Should I be worried as I said Iv never seen a tick in my life so have no idea what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thankspost-42165-0-52408200-1346986365_thumb.jpg

I reckon it is a paralysis tick.. legs are all at the front of the body.

H

I live in an area that has paralysis ticks, and it does NOT look like an adult paralysis tick. They are quite pale and a light blueish grey. They used to be colloquially called 'bluebottle ticks' due to the blueish look of the adults. It is also too small to be an adult paralysis tick, so may be at the nymph stage and therefore not as toxic.

Early stages of tick poisoning can show up in dogs as unusual drooling/dribbling, gagging and/or vomiting and changes in breathing. It then can progress to wobbliness and eventual paralysis.

Seeing the Vet was certainly wise. It would be worthwhile using a preventative too, with Advantix and Preventic collars being, in my family's experience, the only products that work well, plus regular checking. We have also found that the tick season has extended, whereas it used to be the summer months when ticks were at their worst, it is now a year round situation.

Don't waste your money on/or risk using gimmicky or 'natural' tick preventatives. They don't work.

Check inside dogs lips, in their ears and between the pads on their feet. Ticks have been found up noses, and in anal and other orifices too. A childhood mate lost his dog to a tick up it's nose.

From what I understand, paralysis ticks are most commonly found on the Eastern seabord to roughly 20-25 klm inland and sometimes further inland, from most of Qld down to East Gippsland in Victoria. If you live further inland, bush or cattle ticks are more common. Paralysis ticks seem to prefer humid coastal habitats.

This map is pretty good re distribution. There are pockets inland as well as coastal regions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ixodes_holocyclus_distribtion_map.png

i have been on my farmlet since 1993 and this is the second year we have had ticks.. the wetter years have encouraged proliferation of bandicoots.. i have entier battalions of them around the place and along with the bandicoots it appears the ticks have alos arrived. Last week Gina my goat guardian nearly died. it was touch and go for several days but she has recovered thank heavens and all the crew have become walking chemical repositories..

H

From what I understand, paralysis ticks are most commonly found on the Eastern seabord to roughly 20-25 klm inland and sometimes further inland, from most of Qld down to East Gippsland in Victoria. If you live further inland, bush or cattle ticks are more common. Paralysis ticks seem to prefer humid coastal habitats.

Hi,

The Blue Mountains have become a major P Tick area.....alot of our Vet have maps on their wall, pin pointing where the dogs have come from that they have treated for P Tick........my local Vet used to have this map up only through Summer....it's now up all year round.......I live in the mid Mountains, and this is the first year where I have gotten both bush and P Ticks all through winter.....even though my dogs are on prevention, I check them

daily

Bloody ticks. I hate them. Here are a couple of pictures of a paralysis tick I took off Jenna a couple of years ago. I reckon, by it's size, it had been on there about 2 days. Kept a very close eye on Jenna but, thankfully, she was fine. As you can see very different to the tick you took off your dog. It would say it was a bush tick.

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg