Whats Your Limit On The Number Of Dogs

whitka

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I currently have 3 larger dogs (boxer, golden, bullmastiff cross), 1 medium dog (Bassett fauve) and 6 Italian greyhounds. I only have this many IGs because I show/breed and I néed to keep my own stud dogs due to where I live. My goal is to keep my iggy numbers at around 6.

Im thinking just 2 bigger dogs would probably be my ideal, plus the Iggies.

When I eventually stop breeding my IGs the number I have will reduce over time to around 2 or 3. So I will always have at least 4 dogs total I imagine.

ETA IGs are a very easy pack to manage, they are a breed that does well in groups. I can run entire males together with entire females with no problems.

Edited by indigirl

I have 3 permanents, and normally 1 foster dog as well.

My limit is 7, just because it seems like a good number. :laugh: 7 does not include fosters or litters of puppies, though.

Realistically, I will run into trouble if I have more than 4 dogs in my current suburban block.

I have 10, 9 shelties and 1 aussie, I normally own 15ish. I should perhaps have less but as a breeder it is really difficult to be successful in the show ring and keep your numbers down without rehoming. I love owning numbers, many generations of the same family and struggle to rehome my oldies.

I currently have 4, but I think that I'd prefer 2-3 more. I am also a breeder that struggles to rehome so most of my breeding plans are on hold until my numbers drop.

We are aiming for a bigger property in 4-5 years time so hopefully so sort of planning around that goal in terms of breeding plans and numbers. I think on a bigger property with room to run and less pressure to walk at parks etc it'll be more realistic to have higher numbers.

Doing rescue I've had up to 22 in care. I'd love to keep the numbers at 10 (4 of mine and 6 rescues). I keep saying that but then I get suckered in (this time by the 15yr old bitch and 3 puppies). So atm I have12 dogs and 3 puppies with my Mastiff arriving on Friday.

Eventually I will have to go back to being normal and having 4 dogs. I do look forward to that but atm I have a little more to give the rescue dogs.

I have 2 at the moment and for now, that's my limit. When Veikko is a little older, I'll think about a third. When Z retires from sports (probably in the next 18 months or so), then I would be able to deal with a fourth but I don't think it will happen. I'm not really interested in a fourth and I would like their ages to be better spaced than having three dogs under 3 years. I'd love another sibe but again, with Veikko's training. I'd like an even split so if i was to ever have 4 dogs, i think it would be two rescue sibes and two lappies :)

2 is my max solo but if i was in a relationship i'd consider more!

What's a relationship got to do with it? :confused: I'm single, have two greyhounds, would love a few more but I rent so can't have anymore as it's hard enough to rent with two dogs.

Because you'd have the extra person to share the costs and work of any extra dogs. 2 is my max for myself as a singular, but if I were in a couple or married then I would happily entertain the idea of more dogs as it would be more practical between 2 people to have 2 or more dogs.

Well I hope you don't end up with someone like my OH then. Although he likes our dogs he doesn't lift a finger to help out. :)

I currently have 3 dogs, that is enough for us. If we ever get organised and build a house on our block we may get another one.

We have 7, we're on acreage. We keep a tight rein on numbers to the extent that we don't do foster failures (yes I know I just tempted the fates, but I've got strong views about it for us). Also when our oldies pass on, they won't be automatically replaced, ultimately I would rather our numbers be around 5. I would certainly not like to go above 10, even tho' we have the facilities to manage it, I think the dogs would miss out.

I have more than your average but I am lucky enough to live on a property with plenty of free running room, creeks, dams & different livestock to keep them all busy. I don't think I can put a number on it as I have had anywhere from 1 dogs to 25 at a time(counting fosters dogs in for long term retraining, my own dogs, family dogs & working dogs) but it has more to do with what your daily lifestyle & living conditions are. I dont work my dogs are my work & i have a partner who works from home & on the property so have extra hand when needed too. But my days start at 4.30am & dont end till 9pm(actually walk through front door n take shoes off)so I don't think it's a suitable lifestyle for many but I love it.

We have 5, but to me 4 is preferable! :)

Agreed taketwo and Xyz! 4 is the magic number but mine are all low maintenance so 5 isn't much of a stretch, especially since 2 are 14 yo, one is 16 yo and the 'young ones' are 6 and 9 (but young for their ages). Couldn't cope with multiple young dogs. Mine were all older rescues except Ginger who taught me I couldn't cope with multiple pups - one seven month old was enough!

When I get older, I think maybe just a poodle and a greyhound and a chihuahua...and

Edited by Poppy's mum

I have 5 but considering there are two small ones a pug x and a x who weighs 1.5kgs and 6 cats much bigger than her it sounds like alot when put into figures but the 2 small ones would be overlooked by ousiders as they wouldn"t notice them.

I then have upto 7 fosters at any one time so my numbers vary :D

I have 3 here but I only pay for one, and that's Biscuit. I would LOVE more dogs but seeing as I'll be moving out of home in a few years, it will be very hard to find a place with more than 1 small dog, plus being able to afford everything :( In future though I'd like more, I really enjoying having 3 (I am the one who does feeding, walking, etc), and if I could afford it I'd have my 3 plus one or 2 more..but totally unrealistic!

I'm on my own and and I have three westies and a visiting Airedale - fine for a week or two but wouldn't want to do it by myself long term. I find it too hard to give all four adequate attention.

When it's just the three westies it's fine, but will probably down-size back to two when someone falls off their twig.

Will increase the quality of their attention and care, ease the vet bills and mean I can more easily rehab rescue westies (which I find pretty much impossible at the moment). :)

Edited by westiemum

5 works for us at the moment, in our situation. One is with me, wherever I am and I'm not home except on weekends, so usually its 4 at home. They are a good mix, however we have two under a year of age which makes the trouble double. :laugh:

I think it comes down to the dogs too. I could easily have ten Holly's, however one Pandora is more than enough. :laugh:

I've had 5, it was great, a lot to feed and care for though.

2 is good but has disadvantages as i'm discovering with age gap. I guess I would be happy to have 3 at the moment, 2 younger to keep each other company and play with and the Veteran for me alone, our special thing at this time.