Bowerbird Dog.

Boxer05

Without fail everytime I walk the dogs I look down and Brock has picked something up. I am constantly taking things off him for fear of him swallowing it. I try and avoid objects on our walks but he always finds something.

Does anyone else have a Bowerbird dog?

Yep, one of my pugs is constantly chewing on something - I think he has an oral fetish!

I keep the backyard clean so all he has to chew on are sticks and little gumnuts but when out walking he picks up anything that fits in his little mouth, especially coke bottle lids and rocks! My other pug loves picking up cigarette butts and gross things.

My youngest doesn't yet have a reliable "leave it" (hes only 5 months) but luckily the 11 month old is pretty good with her "leave it" command.

Have you taught an ignore and/or give command to get your dog to ignore items and to spit things out?

Yep. Tarja likes to pick things up and if they are particularly special, take them to her crate to treasure ("that's going straight to the pool room!" :laugh:) I have to watch her on walks because she will pick up anything from stones to abandoned shoes to dessicated bat's wings. In the house it's hair ties and socks. I have her convinced now that she has to bring things to me to check, which is all very well until she presents me with a dried cat poo :( She's also pretty good with "leave it" within the house or on lead, but on a long line or off-lead, not so much.

Edited by LappieHappy

Indi likes to 'collect' clothing - preferably socks, jocks or smelley tshirts but she's not fussy :laugh: . She learnt this behaviour from my Goldie who loves to carry (typical Golden Retriever).

Her 'special items' go straight to her bed and she uses them as pillows (NEVER does she chew them :) )

............. gotta love The Castle LappieHappy :rofl:

Well my greyhounds can't pick anything up as they are muzzled by law but I will never forget walking around our annual food and wine festival proudly with my handsome Stan and people were looking at him smiling and I'm thinking, wow look at all these people looking at(in my opinion) the most handsome dog here until I looked at him and he had a large peice of pizza stuck on the front of his muzzle. He must have tried to eat it and it had wedged into the muzzle and here I am proudly walking along thinking " yep my dog is gorgeous" :o

:laugh: Haha Stans mum, he is hilarious but gorgeous at the same time.

Bruno has a weakness for cat crunchies. It's the only time he ignores 'leave it'....he just can't resist them it seems.

One time out walking, he swooped on what looked like an old bit of floral fabric on the ground, but was actually a big ugly pair of knickers. :eek:

I squawked "leave it" and thanked my lucky stars that he did. I didn't fancy playing ugly knicker tug-of-war!

If Stan was wearing his hibiscus and Raybans, I'm sure everyone would think he was stylish and sophisticated, pizza or not!

Years ago my parents moved to the south coast from Sydney, and their dear old Lab would fetch the home-delivered Sydney Morning Herald everyday and bring it inside. One day a neighbour tactfully asked my mother if it was possible that Honey was also fetching her paper (the Illawarra Mercury) because the newsagent swore he had delievered it but it was never there when she went to collect it. My mother was a little miffed that the neighbour would suggest such a thing, and said that Honey could not possibly be the culprit. A few days later my mother needed to get something from under the house, and there she found about 20 pristine, rolled-up copies of the Illawarra Mercury that Honey had deposited. She was so embarrassed when she fessed up to (and reimbursed) the neighbour!