How Did You Choose Your Breed/s?

whitka

I had a sad experience with a rescue staffy X, she was DA & it was a big learning curve that taught me that I am not suited to more dominant feisty breeds.

So my next breed was the deliberately the opposite- a Golden Retriever- & it's been a perfect fit.

I find the softer nature of gun breeds are much better suited to me & my family, & I will stick to them in the future. :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wanted a dog growing up but was never allowed. As soon as I bought my own house I got my first dog - Eva - an SBT. As a kid a few friends had Staffords that I use to play with and then also as an adult a friend from work had one that I use to play with everytime I visited. I did a lot of research first to find a breeder and thats how I found Eva. She will be 4 in December. I will never own another breed. I had Lola who passed away at only 18 months old in May this year :cry: very unexpectedly.... And I now have Booker (as well as Eva), who is 4 & 1/2 months old from the same breeder as Lola. I wasn't actually looking for another puppy so soon after Lola dying but Book has really helped to heal the hole in my heart :heart:

They are three very different dogs in personality yet also so similar.

I don't have kids yet, nor will I for a while but I will always have a Stafford or two when my kids are growing up :) I wish I had when I was little!

I've grown up with Aussie Terriers and will always have one or two in my life. I love their feisty, cop no sh*t attitude and the fact that it's like having a large dog personality in a compact sized dog suits me well.

Growing up I've always wanted an OES and might have one someday, but I'd also love to try out the saluki. Having Zeus, a beagle cross, I've fallen in love with the hound personality. I love the size and beauty of a saluki and would love to own one!

Weimaraners are my mums breed, so we always had them... I have found for right now, they suit me and what I want from a dog so I got one... and then another :) english setters i fell in love with from a photo in a book when i was quite young and i waited over 10 years to get one. They are perfect for me in every way except i enjoy trying different dog sports and they arent always suited, where Weimaraners are more versatile and doing them with them is a pleasure.

7 years before I got Bear I was working in boarding kennels and a toller came in for 5 nights. I remember noticing the breed name didn't fit on the kennel card and so I stopped for a closer look. Harry was the most gorgeous man, totally typical toller, standoffish at first but spent the week following me around the kennel and whenever he was in his run he would stand on his hind legs to watch me over the partition (waist high concrete with mesh on top). I spent the week hoping furiously his owners wouldn't come back (no idea why cos in the year I worked in kennels that NEVER happened!!!), and when I got over my sorrow at saying goodbye I promised myself I would own one. 7 years later the time was right and I found the most amazing breeders and we got our Bear :D

I like to have a rescue in the house so we will probably always have a working dog cross....but I can't imagine not having more Tollers. Bear is my first ever purebred and just fills me with joy. She is so very very toller except (thank dog! She has a low drive!!! There are other breeds I'd like to try too though!!!

My son and I went through the breed pages on DOL and found Lappies. We had never heard of them so I rang a breeder who had pups and she was so nice and helpful we put our name down on her waiting list straightaway and luckily someone dropped off so Jaana came to us.

I love her soft looks, huge coat plus the fact that she is an independent spitz and she talks!

My other favourites are giant sighthounds - Deerhounds, Greyhounds and Borzoi - one day ...........

Well I grew up with mini snautzers (spelling is wrong I know nut I'm on my phone) & also had some sort of long haired terrier cross that I adored, then got a dalmation when I was 13 she passed on 2 years ago, thankfully 6 years ago I met a female Chinese crested at our local ag show so I found a breeder last year & got my older boy, then in may wad offered a 9 month old from the same breeder. I love my boys to bits, their affectionate, fast, & generally a beautiful breed, I will stick with them for now

I got into bedlingtons as my aunt bred them and I adore them as much as ever. I would love to have a dobe, I love the look of them without those horrific cropped ears. When my youngest child is around 6 I will definitely buy one. My next fur baby will be a rough collie-- based on a combination of recommendation from a vet, looks, and nature.

I grew up with Kelpies and a range of crossbred dogs of various shapes and sizes. But I bred and showed purebred horses.

When I wanted my first dog as an adult I decided I would get a purebred.

I was looking at various breeds and actually seriously considering an English or Welsh Springer Spaniel.

This was pre internet days.

Then I bought a copy of Dogs USA Puppies Annual (I still have that copy!)

In it there was information about a breed called the 'Great Pyrenees'.

I just couldnt stop looking at those pictures and read the bits about them over and over.

So I bought a book, contacted the Canine Council who told me they were 'Pyrenean Mountain Dogs' here, and was put in touch with the Breed Club.

I talked to them and then talked to a breeder who happened to have a pup available.

They told me all the 'bad' bits, quizzed me up and down, I thought about it and I decided.

First time I met a Pyr was when I picked that 9 week old puppy up from the airport...

Then my education began :laugh:

It wasn't always plain sailing and I did have to make adjustments for owning this breed - Something I have been more than willing to do.

But it really does suit me perfectly all things considered so I count myself truly blessed.

I have looked at plenty of other breeds, but this is truly my heart and soul breed.

Now, my 'second' breed is the Dalmatian.

I actually considered other breeds when making my choice - Bernese Mountain Dog, Gordon Setter and GSP being some of the front runners that took my fancy.

I chose a Dally mainly because I always wanted one and had a Dallyx growing up.

There were also other reasons I chose it at the time such as being a breeder close by who could mentor me in the show ring and I wanted to try my hand at agility.

(Pyr breeders are few and far between and no one lived even within a few hours of me at the time)

I made a good friend out of my Dally's breeder and she had helped and taught me a LOT.

While I loved my Dally though, and was heavily involved in the breed for most of her 13 years, it really wasn't the breed for me and I doubt I will ever have another.

I never regret getting her for a second, do still love the breed, but she taught me a lot about how much the Pyr personality suits me best :)

They're the most handsome breed :D

I really, really wanted a JRT when I was a kid. Until I worked out that I'm neither a little dog person nor a terrier person. When I was actually getting my dog, it was between Beagles and Labradors. Honestly, based mainly off their looks. Before any of the Labrador breeders even replied (only one ever did - my boy's breeder), an available Beagle puppy was offered, but I just couldn't take it. Apparently, deep down, I didn't want a Beagle. And I'm still glad I didn't take that dog.

Edited by Niques

Without sounding trite, OH and I didn't choose our dogs, they chose us. I can honestly say that there was no conscious effort to get a dog on the days that we did. Admittedly our boy was a shop bought (when we knew no different) but our girl was bought with almost no forethought other than to pursue through the breeding channels. I often say (and not wishing to appear overtly religious)..ours were 'God Given'!

I should also say, having the two now, I would never want anything bigger than mine..I like dogs that fit nicely on my lap!

Edited by Pollywaffle

After growing up with kelpie/cattle dog crosses, I knew I liked highly active, intelligent dogs. When I saw a GSP in my dog encyclopedia 11 years ago, i immediately loved the look of them. Upon doing some research I found they appealed to me for many reasons- high energy, intelligent, easy to train, friendly, good with kids & other dogs, smooth coat that requires minimal grooming, lean athletic build, not as common as other gun dogs. I got my first GSP this year. I also wanted a dog that had a clear size difference from the GSP, was also highly active, intelligent, friendly, smooth coated with beautiful brown markings hence my brindle Staffy/Kelpie X. They have different personalities but both love other people and dogs and I couldn't be happier with them.

I grew up in a family that bred and showed Rhodesian Ridgebacks. We had the occasional other breed as well and there were a few other breeds I adored when I met them. I also discovered obedience, and knew that was something I wanted to get into one day. I then went for years without a dog, until I was finally settled enough to own a dog. I did lots of research, starting with online quizzes, and reading up on every recommended breed that reasonably appealed to me. My prime criteria was a medium sized dog, easy going temperament and an aptitude for training.

Once I narrowed my list down to less than six breeds, I dragged my husband along to a few dogs shows, as he needed to live with the dog as well. In the end, it was actually easy, as we both fell for the Cardigan Welsh Corgis we met, and we adopted an 18 month old ex show dog from a breeder we met. She's an absolute sweet heart, and great fun to train (she now has titles in 3 different dog sports) and our next dog will be a Cardi as well.

In short, do lots of research, meet plenty of adults of the breed (not puppies, they're sucker bait, in any breed) and think clearly about what your prime requirements in a dog are.

My first dog, Mimi was a RSPCA dog of the week in the now defunct Sunday paper. I wanted a dog for an apartment - my choice was an older poodle but I couldn't find one anywhere and I was 22 at the time - I think I sounded young on the phone and none of the re-homers were interested. Mimi, the 8 yo chihuahua was a prize! such a good dog, such a character. There began my lifelong love affair with the breed. Then I went for chi-crosses because I wanted to do park walks and chis were a bit small and vulnerable. I had two elderly Chi cross JRTs (?) from rescue. Such darlings. Impossible to fault temperament-wise. Then I had Fred, corgi cross (foster failure) and Ginger (Silky cross chi perhaps), my agility and obedience queen. Now I have greyhounds (one at a time) - perfect for the lazier dog owner. Beautiful to look at (if you like slimline elegance in a dog), laid back generally, and mine have always been perfect with the littlies, a prerequisite to joining the household of 2 chis and 2 terrier crosses).

I think it is important to keep an open mind when choosing - temperament, grooming and exercise needs are important considerations. As is age, depending on the time you have to devote to a dog - everyone one wants a puppy but they are not always the best choice - there is a wide range of older ex-show and ex-breeding dogs available on the Dogzonline breed pages.

Didn't...they chose me. Well, a member of the breed chose me.

Went with a friend to her friend's house to pick up some university books. While standing in the kitchen, I heard a loud 'whomp whomp whomp whomp' every time there was a pause in the conversation.

Eventually I asked what it was, and the friend's-friend said "The bast*** dog in the backyard" So I looked out the kitchen window and in a small dog run was this fawn Dane pup. The whomping was it's tail whacking against the fence every time it heard someone speak.

I went out to have a pat, and the lady told me they were putting it on the Trading Post tomorrow because the thumping drove her crazy every time she was trying to cook.

She opened the door to the pen and it rushed out and did laps around my legs, tail whomping the whole time.

"Bast***" came home with me that weekend after a mad rush to the store to buy dog things.

Don't worry, I changed his name...

....to Whomper :laugh:

When we got Cherry we just wanted a rescue, dad didn't want a small dog, mum was terrified of dogs, but slowly getting over it, so she didn't want anything big. So an in-between middle size was just right. We got a call from the animal shelter we had been searching at for a while saying the perfect dog for us had come in, we went and saw her, and that was it. It was our first dog and I was only 6 at the tim too so we didn't want anything boisterous. The shelter did a great job matching us all, I couldn't have asked for a better doggy!

When getting Rusty our other dog Lassie had passed, a BYB who we dearly loved but just wasn't destined to be, and eventually we were ready for another dog. This time I wanted to do it right, and get into the world of showing. So I found DOL, did my research. I wanted an ACD, as they are my favourite breed, but mum and dad disagreed. This dog had to be able to do agility, be trainable, loyal, smart. So we ended up deciding on the Aussie.

Finally Biscuit, I wanted a third dog sooo badly, a few years later my parents finally agreed, on a few conditions: I had to pay for the purchase, and everything throughout its whole life. It had to be small, and not fluffy. I wanted something tough, that could compete in agility, something a bit "different", a breed that is reserved with strangers, and a 'one person dog'. So I found a schipperke. Best dog in the entire world!!

Showing my age here, but I grew up devoid of any media way out west, and believe it or not thought only dog in the world was Kelpie or BC and some of the station hands had dingo dogs - yes pure bred dingoes which worked the sheep same as the Kelpies and were so well fed never tried to eat any of them and kept the other wild dingoes and foxes away.

So imagine my surprise when moving to the city as a teenager I discovered there were all these other breeds, but strangely enough back then there weren't that many or maybe i just didn't hear about them but settled for an Irish setter, and just like all our working dogs really didn't have too much interaction he was just another dog - very sad really now I think about all the opportunities I missed.

Next came a pure bred Boxer experience through a work situation and I helped out showing, grooming etc and started to learn the other side of the dog world, a little female boxer pup came into my life and everything changed after that :)

A very long time down the track and a little shih tzu needed a foster mum and I entered the world of small breed long haired dogs and what an adventure we had for the next 13yrs.

Circumstances influenced my decision regarding breed size and type so current 8yr old 'furchild' is small long coat lap dog crossbreed from 2 purebred parents who somehow managed their own little rendezvous. Another foster that has endeared himself to my heart. And in all this array of pooches I still do not have a firm decision about a liking for any one type in particular, all I know is that each brings with it amazing differences and a desire to please the human that has taken it on.

My latest aquisiton is a purebreed miniature poodle, this is a massive learning curve as poodles are very special dogs in their own right and they don't belong to you, they own YOU :laugh: the little magnet on my fridge says it all -"If it is chewed it is mine, If it is not chewed it is mine, Everything else is yours!"

So when the time comes to get your dog look at all your own circumstances and compare to the breeds you have a liking for as this is the most important factor.

I love Chinese crested hairless dogs. I never intended to get one of these beautiful dogs, infact I never thought that much about them at all. But I remember there was one in the movie 'How to loose a guy in 10 days' this was what led my daughter to want to own one. Next thing I know she brings home a puppy and OMG he's so cute. From that day on I am utterly in love and devoted to the breed and am looking forward to getting another. I love the versatility of them being smaller dogs, that you can pick them up if you need to or they can sit on your lap, sleep on the bed and not take too much room. I love that they have no hair, I love the way they smell, I love that you get to dress them up, I love that they can do agility and are also intelligent enough to do obedience. I love everything about them...

But I always have liked to own a bigger dog too. If ever I'm out walking alone I like the feeling of security a larger breed can give me. Also I like to have a watch dog that can offer some sort of safeguard for the property or if I'm home alone. Big dogs make me feel safe. They are a deterrent for thieves. For that purpose we have always had German shepherds or a mix of. But now we also have a boxer as I've always wanted to own one of these squishy, sad faced dogs.

With both the big dogs and the small I think we've covered all the bases.