When Is Your Dog Not Your Dog?

flame ryder

I really believe dogs choose their owners as opposed to the other way around.

When I was a kid I always wanted a dog, finally my parents gave in and off we went to the pound to pick out my first ever dog. Came home with a little male terrier, was meant to be my dog but quickly became my mothers dog.

Then fast forward many years, my daughter buys a Chinese Crested puppy, soon she loses interest but way before that he's mine. The connection was there from the day he came here. It was blatantly obvious to anyone that we had bonded and he was my dog.

I always had a dream of owning a Boxer dog. Finally almost a year ago, after much searching and research I bought Bentley a male boxer pup. He is now my OH's dog, they have bonded. He lets Bentley sit on his lap (extremely large lap dog), he has also taken over Bentley's training as I can't train 2 at once. He seems to be more of a mans dog. Although Bentley knows I'm top bitch around here! I also do all the feeding.

Love all our dogs but there is a definite 'owner' to each dog

Anyone else get this

Edited by teela

Yep Raspa is definitely mine, hubby will open the door to let her in and she will run straight past him and up to me. I make him feed her every night but she follows me everywhere, but then we didn't choose her, she chose us.

Yep my boys Dante and Beowulf are very much my dogs. Daenerys has been Mr Bjelkiers girl from the moment she could walk.

Alchemy's favourite human is a friend of ours who owns Bullmastiffs, she goes gaga for her Aunty Stace :laugh:

Lestat will go for anyone with food and a cuddle.

This is how I choose homes for the rescue dogs. If they meet someone and no longer want to know me then I know it is the right human for them.

Both mine.

Atlas loves males, but its me he comes to first. He would go up for a cuddle with OH, than run back to me in a heartbeat

I used to think Kaos liked everyone else over me, but found it not to be true. If i am in the room she will talk to everyone, the second i walk out of the room. she sits at the door i went out of and cries till i come back, says hello and then goes back to the other people

She also never listens to OH :o I have him doing some training and its getting better, but if he tells her off she comes running in to me to dob on him, pissed him off :laugh:

Ella and amber are mine.. Ella is turd for OH even though he's had her since she came home. Amber I had no intentions on her being mine lol she's supposed to be his!! But she is a complete mess for him in the ring if I am near by or if I go away lol shell only train for me lol!!!

Leo on the other hand is OHs he's a happy cuddly boy for me but doesn't work for me.. Only stresses but for OH he is on fire lol! Runs like a dream :)

I think Honey thinks she owns me! :laugh:

She does have a real soft spot for my youngest daughter, but really she is all mine. :)

I can ask the kids for a hug & before they even get close, she has dived in for a cuddle. She just expects that I mean her! :laugh:

Walking to school with the kids, if I'm slow out the door, she won't budge until I catch up to her & will keep looking to make sure I'm there too.

Not suprising since I am the only one who always walks her & trains her.

I live with my boyfriend and his family which consists of 2 adults, 4 children, myself, 2 dogs and a cat. When I moved in a year ago I began taking control over their beautiful Bernese Mountain Dog and since then Bruno has become my bestfriend, constant affection and love. We do obedience now and just completed a local marathon together. I don't know what I'd do without him anymore.

He is the greatest dog I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

So I guess, technically, he's not my dog. (yet!) :)

When they are naughty, they belong to me :laugh:

Mine all seem to 'share'.

They have special time and things they all do with my OH and the same with me.

Sometimes they act clearly 'mine' and at other times they are clearly my OH's dogs :shrug: (and I call them 'daddy's girl/boy'! :laugh: )

Heidi has definitely become my dad's dog since I moved out of the parental home. They absolutely adore each other. We often joke she's become his favourite child of the family, and replaced me as daddy's little girl.

Edna is mine for sure, and has been since the first day we met her at the pound. She had a real aversion to males when we first got her, but now she loves my OH. Just not as much as me!

Guest donatella

This is why I have a preference to actually meet the breeder and the litter face to face as I believe that puppies chose you and not the other way around.

When I was a lot younger "my"dog was the one that lived next door.

Penny would be let off her chain in the morning from her house, she would then come to our place to hang out with me. When I was old enough to drive, I took her to agility training and trialled her. I titled her in agility as well.

People didn't even realise she wasn't my dog as she was so bonded to me. Somehow it came up about dogs and I said that I wanted to get my own new dog as I really wanted to keep doing agility and Penny was going to be moving house. People were surprised that I only borrowed her.

When I would get home from training I would either walk her home and tie her up or if it wasn't too late I would say "Penny go home" and she would have sad eyes and walk home.

When they moved house, when I went to visit she would be so excited and when the words "See yo then" were said, she would race around and jump in the back of the ute or through the window if it was down so she could come for a drive with me.

So there can definitely cases when your dog is really NOT your dog. Penny had no idea I didn't own her but she loved me most.