Obie, The Fat Dog

piperspal

OMFG! Seriously that should be considered animal cruelty and the owners charged.

I so agree! It's a crazy world where one can be seen to sort of shove your dog along with your foot in public & you'll have people hurl abuse at you, yet this hidden abuse of dogs is so widespread. This is an extreme case, but oh so many family pets out there suffer so badly for being overweight :( Food does not = love!

So so sad.:mad

I used to groom a Lab x that was so overweight it was not funny. The water would pool on his back because the amount of fat each side of his spine created a ditch. The dog was around 6 years old and could hardly move. They considered the dog to be 'getting old' and that this was 'just age'. Nothing I said helped. Nothing the vet said helped. Nothing that anyone said to them made an impact. They were killing their dog with 'love' and they just couldn't see it. Sad thing was they they probably halved the dogs life as a result. Their 'love' meant they had half as much time with their dog as they might have had otherwise. So very very sad...............

Agree ...although I would think that because the way the dog was treated was not prompted by cruelty but ignorance may complicate matters. Elderly owners? Would the RSPCA treat a case like this with the balance it requires?? Some how I don't think so.

So so sad.:mad

I used to groom a Lab x that was so overweight it was not funny. The water would pool on his back because the amount of fat each side of his spine created a ditch. The dog was around 6 years old and could hardly move. They considered the dog to be 'getting old' and that this was 'just age'. Nothing I said helped. Nothing the vet said helped. Nothing that anyone said to them made an impact. They were killing their dog with 'love' and they just couldn't see it. Sad thing was they they probably halved the dogs life as a result. Their 'love' meant they had half as much time with their dog as they might have had otherwise. So very very sad...............

I met this guy at the dog park with two very very fat labradors. I casually said that they needed to lose weight. He said that he only recently realised that after they went to the vet, which is why they were at the dog park (the dogs were about 5 years old but looked 10). He had thought all this while that labs were meant to look fat!!!!

The most tragic fat dog stories come from dogs like Obie who are companions to old people suffering dementia or other debilitating problems. You can hardly condemn an oldie who is loosing it for taking joy in giving treats to the dog . . . nor can you be too hard on the extended family, who see that the dog is a major source of joy for an oldie whose ability to deal with day to day realities is falling apart.

It would be more compassionate to praise the people who recognized the problem and convinced the old couple to give up their dog than to blame the owners.

Hey guys, what happened to positive reinforcement!

p.s. I'd rather be killed by kindness than by cruelty and neglect.

Edited by sandgrubber