Staved Puppy

WARNING Don't open the link if you are sensitive, very graphic images of starved dog.

STORY HERE

Part of the article below.

A dog owner who starved her pet to death in a tiny cage surrounded by his own waste has avoided jail but been banned from keeping animals for life.

Stacey Lockhurst, 27, of Dartford, Kent, kept her German Shepherd puppy in a squalid cage with no food and water for an astonishing seven months.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals described it as one of the worst cases of animal cruelty its officers had ever seen.

I know there is stories like this all the time but this one just angered me more than words can say. I just can't understand how a judicial system can hand over such a light sentence. Also surely in 7 months you would have thought that a family member or someone might have alerted the authorities to the shocking condition of the poor dog. :cry: Someone must have initially alerted the RSPCA as they came when the dog was 16 weeks.

I have no more words, just total disbelief! :(:mad:cry:

Edited by tlc
Guest donatella

I couldn't bring myself to open the link because I would have found the images distressing but I have to just say :cry: :cry: :cry:

What a long drawn out death for the poor darling, and a horrible way to die, one of the most torturous ways to go, I am lost for words :(

My punishment for them would be lock them in a cage with little food and water and let them starve and die a slow and agonising death!

I don't blame you guys for not looking at the link, I did it was on my facebook news feed. Its just shocking to think some of the human race are capable of doing such things. Makes me sad to be a part of it at times!

Ill copy the whole story for those who don't want to open the link.

Dog owner, 27, starved her German Shepherd puppy in tiny cage with no food or water for SEVEN MONTHS (but she's avoided jail)

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

Kent woman Stacey Lockhurst got suspended jail term

Kept puppy Jack in cage surrounded by his own waste

RSPCA said it's one of 'worst cruelty cases ever seen'

By MARK DUELL

PUBLISHED: 11:03 GMT, 9 September 2012 | UPDATED: 14:12 GMT, 9 September 2012

A dog owner who starved her pet to death in a tiny cage surrounded by his own waste has avoided jail but been banned from keeping animals for life.

Stacey Lockhurst, 27, of Dartford, Kent, kept her German Shepherd puppy in a squalid cage with no food and water for an astonishing seven months.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals described it as one of the worst cases of animal cruelty its officers had ever seen.

Lockhurst was given a 20-week prison sentence - suspended for a year - by magistrates on Friday for her treatment of the dog, named Jack.

RSPCA investigators first visited her former home in Erith, south east London, in October 2010 - when the dog was just 16 weeks old.

They offered advice on training and suggested the pair hand over the puppy, but he was found dead seven months later, covered with a curtain.

His container was infested with maggots and flies and a water bowl was full of excrement. A post mortem examination found Jack was emaciated.

He had no fat and probably died of starvation, with the examining vet saying he ‘suffered greatly and unnecessarily for a great period of time’.

'She regrets what she did. I don't think she set out with that in mind. She's a very vulnerable lady'

Wayne Crowhurst, defending

Lockhurst was found guilty at Dartford Magistrates' Court of causing unnecessary suffering to the dog and not addressing his rapid weight loss.

District Judge Michael Kelly said the case was ‘particularly bad’ - but Lockhurst, who has learning difficulties, had been ‘influenced to an extent’.

He added while passing sentence in court that ‘there may have been some lack of appreciation of what was happening’ to the dog.

Her partner Paul Brunsden, 25, was jailed for 20 weeks and also banned for life from keeping animals when he appeared in court last month.

Lockhurst was also ordered to do 200 hours of unpaid work and pay £200 court costs. Her defence lawyer said she would have been bullied in prison had she been jailed.

‘She regrets what she did,’ Wayne Crowhurst, defending, added. ‘I don't think she set out with that in mind. She's a very vulnerable lady.’

Banner-waving animal rights campaigners were outside court to protest along with members of a Facebook group formed in memory of Jack

Do you think I should delete the link? I don't want to upset people just venting, These sort of stories always get to me and every now and then there is one like this that just makes you go :cry::eek: Bit like that awful disgusting creature that threw the puppies in the creek, that still plays on my mind.

Edited by tlc

Do you think I should delete the link? I don't want to upset people just venting, These sort of stories always get to me and every now and then there is one like this that just makes you go :cry::eek: Bit like that awful disgusting creature that threw the puppies in the creek, that still plays on my mind.

Oh I dont have a problem with the link. Very clearly marked as a do not open.

I just cant understand how someone could do it. Truly beyond comprehension

I am starting to have such little faith in democratic judicial systems. You can get a jail sentence for speeding in a motor vehicle yet you can commit extremes of cruelty (to both animals or humans) and get a #*$@ing slap on the wrist.

She knew exactly what her behaviour was doing, yet she repeatedly chose to continue the torture. 'Vunerable' is not a word I'd use to describe her. I really hope she didn't get away with it because of mental health issues.

I am starting to have such little faith in democratic judicial systems. You can get a jail sentence for speeding in a motor vehicle yet you can commit extremes of cruelty (to both animals or humans) and get a #*$@ing slap on the wrist.

She knew exactly what her behaviour was doing, yet she repeatedly chose to continue the torture. 'Vunerable' is not a word I'd use to describe her. I really hope she didn't get away with it because of mental health issues.

I know it's a world gone mad!

I read somewhere else that 'she' was given the suspended sentence because in jail she would be at risk of being bullied. Seriously the crapest reason ever for not sentencing someone for such a heinous act!

• 3 weeks later...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

how could you sleep at night?? knowing a poor defensless puppy was starving how could you ignore the cries :(

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i feel so much sadness for the suffering that poor pup went through

RIP you are in a better place

Yes dandybrush, how could they close their eye's at night knowing that their puppy was slowly starving to death :(

Totally agree with you DB. I am another not brave enough to open the original link. Poor, poor puppy. Beggers belief really. I would go without food if need be & have done in my younger days to feed mine. I worry if I am a few minutes late with their dinner.

Edited by BC Crazy
  • 3 weeks later...

What's really maddening is that the dog MUST HAVE been given both food and water on occassion as no mammal can survive that length of time without any water. It appears to have been fed just enough to prolong it's agony. :cry:

RIP poor poor baby. :rainbowbridge:

• 2 weeks later...