Picking Up A New Puppy

Luke W

Hi Guys

Quick question...I'm going with a friend to pick up her new puppy on Sunday.

She's never had a pure-bred dog before and it's been a while since I got mine.

I've put together a list of things (certificates and such) we need to make sure we receive:

• pedigree papers - transfer signed on rear
  • microchip certificate - transfer signed on rear
  • vaccination and worming certificate
  • copy of L2-HGA & HC Clear by Parentage certificate

Anything else?

Thanks.

Pedigree papers might not have come through yet Luke - Veikko's didn't until she was 13 weeks old. Breeders can't submit them until the puppy has been microchipped and DogsVic had a bit of a backlog when I got V :)

Veikko came with a massive folder of stuff - it included everything you mentioned above but her pedigree certificate.

Things I would want to know are what the litter was being fed on and what wormer the breeder used.

Edited by ~*Shell*~

You might want to take HW's advice and make sure your friend has some "help" - brandy and valium are a start ;) I was sooooooo lucky with Veikko. She's been pretty easy but I've heard many many horror stories of puppies screaming all night on the first night.

One of these is brilliant if yo can get it to the breeder beforehand: http://www.k9pro.com.au/products/Snuggle-Puppy.html I sent mine down to the breeder a week before i picked her up and Veikko and the boys slept with it so when i got her home, she had something warm that smelt like her mum and brothers (and uncle louis, who would have happily stolen the toy if he could have!)

Pedigree papers might not have come through yet Luke - Veikko's didn't until she was 13 weeks old. Breeders can't submit them until the puppy has been microchipped and DogsVic had a bit of a backlog when I got V :)

Veikko came with a massive folder of stuff - it included everything but her pedigree certificate.

Things I would want to know are what the litter was being fed on and what wormer the breeder used.

+1

Max's papers didn't come for weeks, so don't be surprised if you don't get them.

I'd want to know more about the puppy and his/her habits and schedules than papers - they can all be mailed!

I'll be helping my friend settle in when she gets the pup home :)

Setting up the puppy-pen, showing her how to stuff a kong, setting her alarm for 3am toileting.... :D

Thanks for the tips...

The dog comes with a 'puppy pack' - I assume they'll give us some food - but I'll be sure to ask about diet and routine. I'll also ask for a blanket or a toy or something from it's current sleeping quarters.

I'm always scared about not getting the papers. It's a bull breed (Staffordshire Bull Terrier) so I don't want my friend to ever come close to having to deal with BSL laws.

Hi Guys

Quick question...I'm going with a friend to pick up her new puppy on Sunday.

She's never had a pure-bred dog before and it's been a while since I got mine.

I've put together a list of things (certificates and such) we need to make sure we receive:

• pedigree papers - transfer signed on rear
  • microchip certificate - transfer signed on rear
  • vaccination and worming certificate
  • copy of L2-HGA & HC Clear by Parentage certificate

Anything else?

Thanks.

A camera. Because we need to see photos. :D

I wouldn't assume you will get food, but you should at the very least get a diet sheet. I'd be checking with the breeder though, because I'd want to know what food to be getting before bringing puppy home, so see if they can send you the diet sheet.

I can't think of anything else that you'd need to check off that should definitely come with the puppy, but it'd be good if puppy came with lots of information on breed care etc. that all really depends on the breeder.

I sent mine home with:

Registration papers (back signed, and explanation of what it all means)

Vaccination and worming certs

microchip paperwork (which we filled out when they picked up puppy)

Tattoo information/number and explanation

diet sheets

basic coat/nail care

articles on crate training

articles on toilet training

information about their individual puppy (personality, habits, weight when born, etc)

State breed Club memberhship form (I paid for first year of membership)

DogsWest Membership form

Food sample

their next worming treatment

blanket with litter smells

a dog behaviour book

a book on raw feeding

collar

I can't think of anything else!!

Edited by SparkyTansy

That's a nice supply sparky...

I provided my friend with Before and After you get Your Puppy (Ian Dunbar) and a puppy pen.

Yesterday we bought a couple of Kongs, a chew toy, a collar and lead and a hard crate. She's already got bedding and soft toys, food and water bowl etc, etc.

It's my friends first dog - so I'm trying to help her give it the best start she can. As you can imagine she's getting lots of conflicting information: "puppy pens and crates are cruel", "it needs lots of vegetables"...a a few others.

Don't worry so much about the registration papers - ask the breeder if they've been sent off and if they haven't, don't stress too much. A lot of breeders can't send them off until the puppies are 8 weeks old, especially if the families are having input into the registered name. You have to send off microchip numbers with the litter registration now so if the breeder hasn't chosen which puppy is going to which home and those new homes are helping choose registered names then they won't be able to send them off until the homes each puppy is going to have been finalised.

Veikko's litter registration wasn't able to be sent off until they were 8 weeks old because Armahani was deciding which puppy would suit which home best and we all had input into registered names. It took weeks for the registration to come through and then more for her to be transferred into Armahani and my joint number with DogsNSW. Very worth it in the end though :D

I'll be helping my friend settle in when she gets the pup home :)

Setting up the puppy-pen, showing her how to stuff a kong, setting her alarm for 3am toileting.... :D

Thanks for the tips...

The dog comes with a 'puppy pack' - I assume they'll give us some food - but I'll be sure to ask about diet and routine. I'll also ask for a blanket or a toy or something from it's current sleeping quarters.

I'm always scared about not getting the papers. It's a bull breed (Staffordshire Bull Terrier) so I don't want my friend to ever come close to having to deal with BSL laws.

:rofl: I remember this all too well, jeeze you are a good friend!

setting her alarm for 3am toileting.... :D

That is assuming she gets any sleep in the first place :rofl:

I haven't received papers at the time of pick up either. If you have no knowledge of the breeder/breed you might want to check with DogsVic today that the breeder is actually registered.

I sent my puppies home with:

diet info and food for a week

info on coat care/grooming tools/nails

info on training/behaviour/and links to helpful websites and local training clubs

bowl

toys

comb

blanket with litter/mum smells

collar and lead

emailed the new owners all the photos of puppy growing up.

The rego papers had to be sent out a few days later as we and the other show puppy person had special names for our puppies and I didn't know which puppies would be going into the show ring until they were around 8 weeks old.

Edited by Bjelkier

I would be emailing the breeder before its picked up to buy dogfood in, i have never had food in a puppy pack, although i always sent it with my fosters.

My puppies always leave with food so check with the breeder about that and anything else they may supply. I also supply a puppy lead to take them home on, sometimes a brush, etc depending on what is available at the time.

If the papers are not ready MAKE SURE YOU GET A RECEIPT, stating that you have paid $ amount for a purebred whatever breed puppy (microchip no.)and that ANKC main/limit registration papers will be supplied by a certain date by the named breeder. This is very important and so many people forget about it after handing over vast sums of money. Then they come on here complaining that the breeder has not supplied papers but they have no proof of who they bought the dog from or that papers where to be supplied.

When I picked up Kenz a few years ago her papers weren't ready because DogsVic kept stuffing them up, so I was sent with a copy of what they should be so I had her parents registration details, breeders dogsvic number etc. Then I just had to wait for the real ones to arrive in the mail.

I have always been sent home with about 4-7 days worth of dry food. But I phoned to check to make sure that I would get that, so I'd be double checking just in case. I also have copies of the parents health testing results. Microchip transfer signed. Vaccination card. General pack including information generally about the breed plus contact details for breed clubs, the puppy vet, breeder, food suppliers (of the brand they ate as babies).

This time my breeder also gave me a CD of "scary sounds" that the pups had been listening to while they were still with the litter and also some DVD's on training.

I left a baby blankie with the babies when I visited them to meet Hamish so I also got that back when I picked him up.

Both my 2 came home in crates so maybe that is something to take for transport.

And I've been lucky my 2 don't get car sick but it might be worth packing some spare towels (or whatever) just incase the pup is car sick or for whatever reason has an accident in the car on the way home. I've always had them packed and thank goodness have never had to use them!!!!

How exciting a new puppy!!! I know mine is only 5.5 months but when I hear of new puppies I want another one!! But I'm also not insane enough to get another just yet!!

I wouldn't assume you will get food, but you should at the very least get a diet sheet. I'd be checking with the breeder though, because I'd want to know what food to be getting before bringing puppy home, so see if they can send you the diet sheet.

I can't think of anything else that you'd need to check off that should definitely come with the puppy, but it'd be good if puppy came with lots of information on breed care etc. that all really depends on the breeder.

I sent mine home with:

Registration papers (back signed, and explanation of what it all means)

Tattoo information/number and explanation

diet sheets

basic coat/nail care

articles on crate training

articles on toilet training

information about their individual puppy (personality, habits, weight when born, etc)

State breed Club memberhship form (I paid for first year of membership)

DogsWest Membership form

Food sample

their next worming treatment

blanket with litter smells

a dog behaviour book

a book on raw feeding

collar

I can't think of anything else!!

I want to buy a puppy from you! thumbsup1.gif Shame you don't breed my breed laugh.gif