Goat Milk

mossbank

Nimbin Valley Dairy sells raw goats milk in nsw, dont think it is illegal.

It can be sold legally as 'animal food' or for 'beauty products' (eg soap making) but it is illegal for someone to sell (or purchase too I think though this is where 'don't ask, don't tell' comes in....it is for animal consumption, right? ) raw milk - cow, goat or otherwise - for human consumption and anyone caught doing that can face big fines :( Only time it is legal for human consumption is if you own the animal and milk it yourself on your own property.

Nimbin Valley sell for human consumption by the look of their website. They also sell through online organic shops. Maybe it is ok in nsw?

Nimbin Valley Dairy sells raw goats milk in nsw, dont think it is illegal.

It can be sold legally as 'animal food' or for 'beauty products' (eg soap making) but it is illegal for someone to sell (or purchase too I think though this is where 'don't ask, don't tell' comes in....it is for animal consumption, right? ) raw milk - cow, goat or otherwise - for human consumption and anyone caught doing that can face big fines :( Only time it is legal for human consumption is if you own the animal and milk it yourself on your own property.

Nimbin Valley sell for human consumption by the look of their website. They also sell through online organic shops. Maybe it is ok in nsw?

Seems you are right when it comes to goats milk (raw cows milk is illegal) Good to know! : http://www.nimbinval...=pasteurisation

Edited by espinay2

• 4 months later...

G'day. I chanced upon this forum while googling for goat milk in Victoria. I have a goat dairy and cheese factory in NW Tasmania and I was puzzled to read that one of (now) our members couldn't obtain goats' milk here. As we have 2 pure-bred Kelpies (one of which is the daughter of an All-Australian champion) I felt qualified to join you and perhaps pass on some knowledge and experience of goats' milk that may be of some benefit. Now that I have posted, anyone who has any questions please feel free to voice them and I'll try to provide the info that you need. Let me start by saying that the sale of any raw milk for human consumption is illegal in most Australian states. Some people have tried to get around this by stating that the milk is for consumption by pets however the various State dairy authorities have become aware of this and have upgraded their vigilance. As a supplier of milk, yoghurt and cheese to the community I would not be prepared to risk my licence by selling raw milk under any circumstances and I doubt that other processors would too. Even the purchase of raw milk from dairy goat farmers is prohibited and the fines for supply are extremely steep. If you would like me to go on with a description of the properties of goats' milk I'm happy to do so and also perhaps dispel some myths on the way!

Hello, Rosetta. I'm not a vet or a nutritionalist however I can give you the benefit of experience. Our dogs have had goats' milk every day for the last 12 years and have suffered no ill effects.

Thanks for that - might be something to add into the mix for some variety :)